12v Vacuum cleaners , which one is the best overall?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 18:56
ThreadID: 105796 Views:11223 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

We travel around a fair bit and quite often stay where we can't use a 240v vac on the car.

Like most people I have tried a few 12v vacs over the years and basically have given up using them as they have been next to useless.

Has anyone found one the could recommend?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:44

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 19:44
Have a look at domestic dust busters. I don't know if you could recharge them direct from 12v but an inverter would do the job.
AnswerID: 524397

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:47

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:47
G'day Ron

I've had a look at the B & D dust buster on the net, then went to have a look at them in the flesh, but Gladstone does not have a lot to offer in that area.

I'll be back in a bigger shopping area in a couple of weeks and have another look.
FollowupID: 806077

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 20:42

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 20:42
Hi Boo Boo. I posted this question on the Caravaners forum early last year and the majority of replies were for recomending the Dyson hand held. There were a variety of these and were fairly expensive. One reply recommended an Aldi brand one which was advertised for the following Saturday at $70 and was a 24v rechargeble upright/ hand held combo. We bought one and have used it extensively since and it is as good as you need in a Caravan with a charge that lasts around 25mins of use.(similar time to the Dyson) Like most Aldi elecricals, they only seem to come around once a year but if you are fortunate enough to find one they are damn good value.(I think it was around march last year) Regards, Bob.
AnswerID: 524402

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:02

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:02
I can't reccomend this approach as you will see Boo Boo but it is creative.

I have a short 75mm to 40mm adaptor hose which can quickly clip into the inlet manifold on my car , actually used to suck air when in deep water - lotta power and vaccum behind that suction though.
I suspect it would really do the job , but you would have to have a lot of faith in your air filter !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524409

Reply By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:07

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:07
Bunnings sell an Ozito rechargeable hand-held vac for about $25. It gets hammered at our house particularly cleaning up after little Mr and little Miss have had dinner. Hasnt missed a beat. You'd just need to connect it to 240V to recharge it or get hold of a suitable transformer/power unit to charge it (output 7.5V 200mA)
AnswerID: 524410

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:51

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:51
As mentioned above Bunnings in Gladstone seems to have a limited range of portable vacs.

I might have another look tomorrow, but I'm sure they were not in the vac area that I looked at.

Getting it recharged is not a problem. It's getting a long enough extension cord to reach the car. lol
FollowupID: 806078

Reply By: Rod W - Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:39

Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 at 22:39
As said above Dyson cause they just suck. And I've just brought a new one (cause the missus put the other one on the back bumper when she had finished using it and unbeknown to me that it was sitting there I took it for a ride to the local Bunnings shop, it fell off at the last corner into Bunnings. This was discovered latter on the rear in-car camera), an Animal 58 and it has a turbo boost to which it sucks even harder. And with the sales that have been on I paid less for the new one than the previous one five years ago.
AnswerID: 524411

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:26

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:26
My handheld Dyson (a few years old now) lasts about 9 mins on a charge. Hardly enough time to do the job.

I use a $36 Ryobi One vacuum cleaner at work and it is an excellent bit of gear. Lasts much longer than the Dyson with a 2.8Ah battery installed. The battery and charger are purchased separately but all up a great solution.

As any of these chargers are 240v source, you would need an inverter or other source to charge them up again.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 806027

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:50

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 06:50
Boo Boo,
We have been very disappointed with our hand held Dyson. Can't understand why they don't have a bigger capacity rechargeable battery sytem. Have nearly thrown it out when it cuts out part way through vacuuming the van etc. Worst $450 I have spent.
AnswerID: 524417

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:07

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 07:07
I've changed over a fair bit of cordless gear over to the Ryobi 18v li ion range from bunnings over the last couple of years. Last few camping trips we have taken the cordless vacuum and the cordless blower as a matter of course because they are just so darn useful. Recently I got a couple of their work lanterns as camp lights, and the grinder/drill/impact driver come along just because they should.
Good quality gear - we use it for trade use now - not top of the line, but honest enough for the $$$, and that little vacuum gets used on site and for camping. My yardstick is plaster dust - if it'll pick up plaster dust then it's good enough. This one does it easy.
AnswerID: 524418

Reply By: Andrew D. - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 08:55

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 08:55
Returned the Dyson for a refund it was so hopeless and short battery power
Bought Ryobi 18V vacuum cleaner and lithium battery and charger
Best system available
Now have torch, fan, drills, multi tool and the compressor.
Indicator light on batteries is awesome.
AnswerID: 524422

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:34

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 09:34
Further to my post above. Yes my first Dyson the battery life was 6 or 9 minutes so a phoned Dyson to complain and has immediately offered and sent a second battery at on cost whatsoever.

My new one the Animal 58, it say the battery will last for 22 minutes. And it still SUCKS.
AnswerID: 524429

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:42

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 17:42
Thanks for the replies fella's, I actually looked at the dyson this morning and the vac was the smaller dyson and was $299 and the attachments $99.

The final price was $320 for the lot, but for a car vac I thought it was a tad expensive.
I think the battery had a life of 15 minutes.

My SIL has an 18v Ryobi drill and I was impress with its performance a couple of weeks ago.

I think I'll have a look at their vac.
AnswerID: 524460

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 18:26

Monday, Jan 13, 2014 at 18:26
We have a Dyson and a Makita 18v unit plus a Makita 10.8v unit (came free with a drill purchase). Both the Makita units are better than the Dyson which hardly ever gets used.

Good Luck
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524463

Reply By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 22:15

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2014 at 22:15
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Hoover-Vacuum-Portable-12V.aspx?pid=131098#Cross

We use something similar to this handheld 'dustbuster' type unit to clean our tent and vehicle when travelling. We hook it to a 5m long 12v extension lead to make it reach from car to tent (if we can't park right next to the tent)

We can plug it in to the 'cigarette lighter socket' on the AGM deep cycle battery's powered box, or the socket in the front console of the vehicle with the motor running.
I can vaccuum for as long as their is fuel in the car/oomph in the AGM :D

Sometimes it is quicker to sweep everything into a little pile with my shortened broom, then just suck up the pile with the vaccuum. Depends on what we have been doing and whether it is in dusty, gravelly or sandy conditions.
AnswerID: 524526

Sponsored Links