Has anyone travelled the Canning Stock Route in March-April?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 03:20
ThreadID: 105823 Views:3179 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Researching track conditions in rainy months.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Gaynor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 04:32

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 04:32
Hello Gaynor,

Travelling early in the season is a bit hit and miss. If there has been a heavy wet season the top end of the CSR could be a no go area - just too boggy.

Some years back a group going north got caught up towards Lake Gregory they had to do a huge cross country detour something like 50 kms (others may remember better) around the lake system just to get out.

Other problems can be localised boggy areas in low lying areas near some of the northern wells and off course Savory Creek could be high as well.

If however little rain has fallen during the wet the trip would be straight forward except for the ferociously hot weather in the top half in particular.

See here for weather details
http://www.exploroz.com/Places/49/WA/Kunawarritji_Community.aspx#rqc_tabs=3
and
http://www.exploroz.com/Places/69/WA/Billiluna__Mindibungu__Community.aspx#rqc_tabs=3

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524535

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 06:49

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 06:49
Hey Phil

I am looking at this a little differently to how a 4x4 traveller might, but hoping to draw on 4x4 knowledge. I have viewed the ExplorOz weather charts. I am hoping to go one step further and draw on information from a weather module over the last ? years to gain further insight.

Researching for a possible walk in 2015.

All the facts available say an unsupported walk is not possible. Or at best, high risk. So I repeat, I am just researching and training for now, exploring the variables as it is an interesting challenge.

Two big challenges: food and water.

Duration of walk is likely to be 3-4 months due to recovery time required, poor nutrition, time out from walking for hunting and finding water.

Food I am researching elsewhere.

Here I am looking for track and water information.

When the track gets flooded, would traversing it on foot be possible?

How deep does the water get? How wide does it go?

Does the boggy mud get so bad that a walker would be unable to walk through it and be forced to leave the track and do a massive eg 50km detour?

I am exploring the idea of starting early in the season to have more opportunities to gather water to distil/treat and drink.

Scenario: Start in Wiluna in April and walk north over 3-4 months, arriving Billiluna in July.

Never been done, but one day it will be.
FollowupID: 806192

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:24
Hi Gaynor, here's a few points which may be of use.

1. In 2013 the forum had a report from a party from the USA who were first through going N to S. Search threads from April. I recall them getting bogged but with two or more rigs and young backs to push and shove and Maxtrax they got through.

2. Outback Spirit are running trips starting April this year - their ads are in the Travel sections of the Sunday paper. Check with them in October.

3. My wife and I did Wells 5 to 22 in May. See pix of each Well in Places here on Ex Oz for my comments and pix about the track. Thanks to Cyclone Rusty in early March the section we did had the best rains in 30 years so the wildflowers were fantastic. This explains the Yanks getting bogged. 2 months later we arrived and the track was dry. But a half inch of rain in mid May turned the claypans into grease. Too sticky to walk and drive through but easy to walk/drive around the edge for only 500m extra.

4. The desert climate is too variable to say how wet or dry it will be. With 2013 having a cyclonic wet event the odds are that 2014 will be dry but it could be just as wet. It's the punt you have to take. Later in June there was unseasonal rain on the northern half of the track and many were bogged.

5. Use Newman weather details as it is near the middle of the CSR. But Wiluna for the S end and Halls Ck for the N are needed too.

6. By leaving in April it will be very hot for the first month. Check Wiluna temps for April and May 2013 to see how it is much cooler if you wait a month til May 1st......W

Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524562

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:52

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:52
You are a STAR Warrie. Thank you for info and pointers!
FollowupID: 806253

Reply By: Member - pedro1 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 20:38

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 20:38
Gaynor
Another Gaynor has walked the CSR last year and has a great webpage with
loads of detail, history,food planning,etc etc

"2013. Gaynor Schoeman completed the first solo walk of the Canning Stock Route in 66 days with the aid of pre-positioned supply drops, 21km apart. Walking alone, carrying a backpack of 30kg Gaynor started her walk from Billiluna on 31 May and finished in Wiluna 05 August 2013."

http://www.canningwalker.com/

Two cyclists also succeeded last year going Sth to North
AnswerID: 524578

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:26
WHAT! There's two Gaynor Schoemans!! I don't think so :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806282

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:03

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:03
Sorry Pedro.... Greg is right :-) One and the same.

I do like the fact that you enjoy my writings and feel able to recommend my webpage! Thank you.

From my Bio which I wrote before my walk last year

'How it all began:

Subconsciously, I have been preparing myself for this particular journey for more than 3 years. But even deeper in my psyche, this is yet another training walk. My ultimate goal is to walk the Canning Stock Route without support. No designated support driver, no supply drops. Just living off the land, hunting for food, finding water and sharing a meal with a passing traveler from time to time. Don't know if it can be done, but each step takes me closer to finding out. I have much to learn.'

http://www.canningwalker.com/the-teams/2013/gaynor-and-andy/1-gaynor-schoeman?showall=1&limitstart=

I am hopelessly in love with all things Canning Stock Route.
FollowupID: 806288

Sponsored Links