Bush Motel Restoration

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 13:04
ThreadID: 105830 Views:2160 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I am new to the forum.
I have a Bush Motel Slide on Camper that my Grandparents had built in the late 80s. They got the best part of three decades of enjoyment comfort and travel out of the camper and over its life it sat on top of a number of vehicles. I bought the Bush Motel and the Dodge Ram from them in 2011 and have thoroughly enjoyed them both thus far.

I've decided that the Bush Motel needs a little love so I am undertaking the task of restoring the interior, repairing a few little leaks, replacing the major appliances and just generally modernising it. This has me pretty nervous, mainly because I don't want to make a mess of it and partly because I know very little about carpentry and many of the finer details associated with cabinetry and caravan building etc. I am pretty confident that I can manage installing major components and new jacks etc. However from time to time I will be appealing to many of you experienced caravaners and the like for some advice and opinion on some of the finer points of repair, configuration, component restoration and sourcing. I believe I certainly have my work cut out for me here, I promise to post heaps of photos of the progress.

Cheers
Crawler88

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 14:09

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 14:09
Crawler I found one of the best places for "bits & pieces" when I fitted out our Oka was Caravan's Plus here
Good to deal with and very prompt shipping. No affiliation etc etc.
AnswerID: 524555

Follow Up By: Member - Crawler88 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:52

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:52
Thanks Peter,
I've been digging about the net looking for suppliers of various parts I've the last week or two, taking notes, comparing prices and compiling a bit of a shopping list. I'll check them out.

Thanks again
Crawler
FollowupID: 806292

Reply By: bluefella - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:07
Good onya mate.
I love to see people having a go outside their comfort zone, the satisfaction you'll get will be worth it.
AnswerID: 524559

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:24

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:24
Hi Crawler

Good Stuff
you will get heaps of good and bad advice on here.
but eh good thing is 90% of it is really good.and sometimes the bad advice is OK as well

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 524561

Follow Up By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:25
BTW
where is the LH side mirror???
FollowupID: 806252

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 16:26
think I just see it in a zoomed in pic

all OK
AnswerID: 524563

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:05

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:05
Geoff,

Just zoomed your pic and note your bleep into a plastic bag in a milk crate!. Oh sorry, it's only your grey water.
:)
FollowupID: 806281

Reply By: racinrob - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:11

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 22:11
G'day Crawler88, I had a slide-on for thirteen years and covered some incredible country, I always say they haven't built the ideal touring vehicle but a slide-on sure ticks most of the boxes.
My only concern is your tie-downs, please do something major about them before you hit the dirt.

Rob VKE237 sel 6678
AnswerID: 524584

Reply By: Member - Crawler88 - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:47

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2014 at 23:47
Hi All, I have to admit there are some pretty shonky features at the moment on this slide on, ie. the tie downs ( although they have done one hell of a lot of clicks as you see them). They are certainly something that I have been wanting to change. I know there are some far better and safer options available and that I need to move the tie down points on the slide on. So far just about all of my biggest frustrations with the set up you see has been the dodgy repairs my grandfather did when he had it. Could fix anything... Just very few thing would be fixed as they should have been. A perfect example of this, and I can't believe none of you have noticed this yet. Note the shiny metal just behind the front jack leg mount. Yes my hot water service cover is a scone tray!!!. Get what I mean?It feels to me like a bit of a cop out just saying that everything that is shonky about it is directly related to my Grandfather's handy work as thus far as up until this point I've just lived with it. Now is my opportunity to repair all of these frustrating and in most cases unsafe unique features. He reckon's the original vented cover blew fell off somewhere on the CSR. Oh and the mirror is there, it's just as black as the tinted windows and hard to see. And yes they grey water system is on the "to improve" list.

Cheers
Crawler
AnswerID: 524590

Reply By: Member - Crawler88 - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:40

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:40
Hey,

I have some more photos of the mess Ive been making over the last couple of weeks.
Thus far Ive been mainly focussed on stripping out the interior and very much feeling my way as I go.

As I dig further and further into the spaces between the visible exterior and the visible interior, the job ahead of me is seeming to grow. Yesterday afternoon I spent 1.5 hrs trying to get one of the windows out of the van thanks to some very liberally caulked silicone sealant.

I think it would be for the best if I replaced the exterior cladding as well while im doing all of this.

Ive attached some photos. If there is anyone keeping tabs on my debacle, I hope these satisfy your lust for destruction for a couple of days at least, or until I make some more noteworthy progress.

Cheers
Crawler
AnswerID: 525312

Follow Up By: Member - Crawler88 - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:58

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:58
Trouble uploading the photos.
FollowupID: 807256

Sponsored Links