MacCoupler

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:39
ThreadID: 105838 Views:4335 Replies:11 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Are these available here in Australia? I wish to buy one , can I get it here , or is it best to purchase direct ex U.S.A.? Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:41

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:41
I bought one from the US. Took only a matter of days to arrive.. Works a treat. Likely to get flamed here though for daring to refill them.
AnswerID: 524621

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:57

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:57
Looks like a bloody good idea. Is that for the one time bottles with the spring loaded valve in the centre of the top?
AnswerID: 524623

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 17:06

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 17:06
Yes. It is for the green Coleman bottle, net contents of just under .5Kg. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 806523

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 18:13

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 18:13
G.T.

They are not available in Australia and I'm buggered if I know why not.
The instructions supplied make it a simple and safe task to refill the Coleman cylinders.

Obviously, inspection of the cylinder should be carried out before refilling but this is the same as that for any larger gas bottle even when "in date".

I have weighed a newly purchased bottle and a refilled one weighs about the same when completed. (approx. 800g after 60 secs into a chilled bottle)

I have six bottles I can use for the gas stove and the Hot water on demand unit and even the black cat heater (which I rarely use).

A little tip for you.
When you place the order for the MacCoupler, also place one for the brass Mac Caps to seal the bottles from dirt, etc. They come in a packet of two.
They are great to replace those thin plastic covers on a new bottle.

I used to order mine from RV Irving but this company is no longer in business.

I placed an order for another MacCoupler for a mate just before Christmas and received it within three weeks. This I thought was exceptional for a Christmas period.

The MacCoupler was $13.49 US and International Postage $12.75 US.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524624

Follow Up By: Jarse - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:05

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:05
Yep, like Bill wrote. I have the coupler and a set of the brass caps.

It works brilliantly. Haven't spent $10 on a new Coleman cartridge for over a year :D
FollowupID: 806356

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 19:41

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 19:41
Thanks for the thread, i just bought one, beats buying canisters!
AnswerID: 524627

Follow Up By: petza - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 20:27
Am I able to get a site where I can order one of these from someone please.
Cheers Pete.
FollowupID: 806361

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:59

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:59
Buy on Ebay from MacCoupler direct from memory! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 806366

Follow Up By: Nutta - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:01
I just bought this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MacCoupler-Propane-Refill-Adapter-for-Small-Coleman-type-Bottles-Mc-Mac-Coupler-/321105105901

Cheers.
FollowupID: 806367

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:14

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:14
Yes thats the one, Just stick them in the fridge for 20 minutes, invert the bottle, screw the empty on, turn the valve on and wait 60 seconds and Presto! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 806368

Follow Up By: petza - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:14

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:14
Thanks guys, I was having trouble trying to find it and if I waited for the minister of defence to get back I would have to spend two days trying explain why I should get one.
Pete
FollowupID: 806369

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:57

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 21:57
I got one from Ebay USA, $20 delivered. Even placing the empty bottles in the fridge before filling, its hard to get more than about 70 % full as the dont have a manual vent valve. But thats fine its worth the effort to buy one and save a heap besides the convenience of a quick top up from a bigger bottle out in the scrub! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 524632

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 23:43

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 23:43
Yeh I can see whay they are not available here.

for good or bad.

If you fill a gas cylinder for a customer that is out of date you can recieve a very large fine.

If that is a single use container, that is its intended use and I guarantee that it will be illegal to refill them in this country.

How long do ya recon those single use valves and seals will last.....and what happens when they fail.....hmmmm.
Betya you carry them in enclosed spaces too.

Perhaps if you want a refillable cylinder....perhaps you should buy one.

cheers
AnswerID: 524636

Follow Up By: Nutta - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:44

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:44
Unfortunately mobs like coleman probably have their own special fit canister so you can't buy a decent permanent bottle.

Obviously common sense is needed, inspect the bottles regularly and maybe dispose of them after so many refills or years.

Mine will be carried in the tray of my ute.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 806384

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:31

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:31
Coleman have a gas lead available that attaches to a standard companion bottle.
FollowupID: 806417

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:17

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:17
I believe this does the same job:

Gasmate Part# GM093

I have one, but have never tried it. I can't even remember how much it cost but I bought it locally at a camping shop.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524637

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:27

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 00:27
I've just had a good look at this Gasmate coupler, and the various things it would connect to, and I think a short hose would be required. You know, the type that runs from the gas bottle to a portable BBQ, except the end that would normally go into the BBQ would go into this gadget, and then to the small Coleman bottle.

Try at your own risk, OF COURSE.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806378

Reply By: River Swaggie - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:59

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:59
Been using mine for years now, I also weighmine so I roughly know when is full.

20minutes in the freezer is a must..
AnswerID: 524659

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:48
You little ripper! What a useful little adaptor! I just bought one.
Now I can refill my Bernzomatic gas torch bottle without getting ripped off continously.
As far as the bottle condition argument goes, I'm sure 95% of us can gauge whether a bottle is suitable for re-filling or not.
In the case of my gas torch bottles, it has cheesed me off throwing out perfectly good condition, empty bottles for the last 15 or 20 years - purely because some manufacturer wants to make a killing by continuously producing new bottles - when the old ones are still highly suitable for numerous refills, rather than just one initial factory fill.
AnswerID: 524664

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:41

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 17:41
I am absolutely certain that 95% of us would not have either the knoweledge, ability nor the equipment to assess the fitness and safety of a gas bottle for refilling although probably 30% think they do and the law and the very large penalties reflects that.

If ya wanted a refillable bottle...well parhaps you should have baught a device that uses one.

NOW what would be usefull would be an properly contrived adaptor that allows a standard format refillable bottle to be used with devices intended for disposable bottles.

cheers

FollowupID: 806443

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:25

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 23:25
Coleman make an adapter hose about 6' long which does the purpose. I got mine at a shop in Maryborough abt 5 years ago. It's even stamped just for you Bantam as complying to AUS/NZ Standards.
FollowupID: 806473

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 00:07

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 00:07
Exactly as it should be.

So why are people so exited about reusing something that is intended for a single use.

cheers

FollowupID: 806476

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 00:59

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 00:59
I guess I'm excited about the amount of over-regulation, and the propensity of a "one size fits all" mentality amongst Govt Authorities.

I've cut open numerous "disposable", "one-use" Bernzomatic and MAPP gas canisters (using a safe method - an air chisel) so I could include the steel in an acceptable form in scrap shipments.

In every case, even though the canister was sometimes up to 7 yrs old, they were in perfect condition, internally and externally, and were more than capable of being re-used.

Now, I have a Tyre-dealer mate who got seriously hassled by a machinery inspector over a need for his air compressor tank to be inspected. He told the inspector in no uncertain terms where he could go.
The inspector got exceptionally threatening and told him he'd come back with a warrant, so he could force his way into the premises for air tank inspection.
Tyre mate says, "Fine! While you're at it, I have about 400 UNTESTED and UNCERTIFIED AIR TANKS in my yard, all holding up to 800kPa in pressure at times, and over long periods!"

The inspector went, "Where?? Where??" - and my mate turns around and points out the 400 truck tyres in his yard.

"They're all uncertified and untested, and they all hold exactly the same pressure as my air tank! - and you're happy enough to drive right alongside them for kms along the highway, as they are additionally bashed and thumped, and placed under heavy loading, that DOUBLES their pressure at transient points!!"

He said the inspector turned on his heel without a word, and got in his car and drove away, and never came back.

Now, I dunno about you, Bantam - but I'll take my chances with a teensy little gas canister that I've physically inspected and checked for damage, corrosion and dents - which holds about .5kg of gas at about 600kPa when full - as against driving right alongside a dodgy, damaged semi-trailer tyre, travelling at 100kmh on the hwy.

I know what has the greater ability to burst without warning - and I'd be pretty safe in saying many, many more truck tyres burst each day - in comparison to the number of disposable gas canisters that burst each day.

Yet, tens of thousands of people are risking their lives every day - pumping up truck tyres - standing alongside heavily-loaded hot truck tyres - driving alongside heavily-loaded, spinning truck tyres - and there's not a single regulation to prevent all this potential death and injury??
FollowupID: 806478

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:44

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:44
Sorry but what a complete load of illogically reasoned hog wash.

Truck tyres have nothing to do with gas bottles or air compressors..

Firstly truck tyres and air compressors do not contain flamable gas.

Secondly truck tyres and compressors are specifically designed and fit for the purpose in which they are used....AND they are covered by regulations and work practices appropriate.

As far as risk is concerned, particularly to the general public.

Gas bottles and the carrage of gas containers in vehicles is a risk that has proven to require regulation and every year there are gas fires and explosions due to neglect and people thinking that they personally know better. There are a few spactacular events that get reported in the media and many more that don't.

The single predominating risk from gas containers is leakage of the flamable contents, not the performance of the container as a pressure vessel.

The second predominating risk from gas containers is explosion when the container is exposed to fire.

The durability of the actual pressure vessel is very rarely an issue in recertification of gas continers designed for reuse.

The two predominating issues are the valves & seals and the high temperature pressure relief valve.

These disposable containers will have seals that are designed to reliable for a dozen or so connections and disconnections to the equipment and a few years on the shelf..

The refillable containers have valves & seals that are designed to be relaible over a 10 year period and to be connected and disconnected many many times..

Now back to the matter of compressors and truck tyres.
There are regulations and work practices covering both.

All compressor tanks sold in Australia are required to be manufactured to Australian standards, tested and marked as such.
Compressor tanks over a certain capacity ( the figure illudes me for the moment) are required to be periodically inspected and recertified.

The reason for this is that as the air volume increases, the potential energy contained in that tank increases considerably.
Anybody with an understanding of faiures in high pressure air systems will tell you that rapid release of energy stored in compressed air can deliver extraordinary amounts of instantanious power.

Further compressor air tanks are cycled many times each day and internal corrosion is very much an issue.
If you have a large compressor in your business, you have rocks in your head not to have it inspected regularly.

On the matter of truck tyres.
The truck tyre is specifically designed for its purpose and there most definitely ARE regulations and work practices pertaining to truck tyres.
Every thing about the truck tyre and how it is used is regulated and standardised.

All but the most ignorant, in the heavy transport industry are aware of the basic risks associated with air pressure in truck tyres.
Many would not be aware of the regulations and standards because they will mostly be aplied at a higher level than their involvement with the tyre.

If you are affraid of trucks there are plenty of other things to be affraid of before you worry about a tyre exploding on a truck you happen to be near.

There are not a great number of incidents of truck tyres exploding and harming motorists.
There are plenty of other issues, many of them the motorists fault that happen every day.
In the last month I have seen two incidents where motorists have pushed their luck and been snotted by trucks.

cheers
FollowupID: 806484

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:52

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 12:52
It sounds like The Bantam is a chicken.
FollowupID: 806546

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 14:45

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 14:45
Sounds like the Bantam does not take unnecessary risks.
FollowupID: 806554

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:20

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:20
Bantam is not a Goose ? Nigel may have a headache..:)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806576

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:10

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:10
Just as an aside to this Mac Coupler thread, I am seeking a solution to the stupid Coleman collapsible water container I am forced to use with my Hot Water on Demand system.

The only alternative solution is to immerse the pump end into an open bucket of water, which invites water contamination from air born dust, etc.

I carry two perfectly good 10l containers with standard (common sized) screwed openings, but of course with Coleman's careful design, the pump diameter is too large to fit.

I even sourced a piece of plastic tube which fit perfectly into the pump end as a push fit, but due to another careful Coleman design feature, the pump will not lift the water, even if the water container is higher than the hot water system.

I have emailed Coleman on why they don't produce an accessory to allow connection to a "standard" water container, but of course I have not received a reply.

Coleman are forcing one to use the stupid collapsible water container they produce and which is susceptible to easy puncturing.

I am still searching for a water container with a larger diameter screw top neck.

Bill

AnswerID: 524706

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:51

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 09:51
Have a look at the home brew shops...perhaps a little large.
Some of the plastic jerries have large openings.
Some of the plastic tanks/bottles that food and chemical products cme delivered in have large screw top openings.

Maybe visit a tank and drum recycler that also handles plasitcs.

cheers
FollowupID: 806485

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:25

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:25
On Ebay it mentions 20,30 40 lb bottles can be used to fill the little canister.

Can a 3kg bottle be used?
FollowupID: 806521

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 19:22

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 19:22
Yep, 3kg bottle OK but you would need an additional adapter.

The MacCoupler has a POL fitting to connect to the supply bottle.
3kg bottles have a 3/8 LH fitting, so you would need a 3/8" to POL female adapter.

4kg bottles utilize a POL fitting as standard and is the ideal size to use, bearing in mind you need to invert the supply container to allow the liquid gas to flow into the Coleman bottle.

Bill

FollowupID: 806527

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 14:10

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 14:10
Pull a shower hat over the top of the open bucket & it will keep out the airborne contamination, which will most land on you while you are showering !

FollowupID: 806550

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 07:52

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 07:52
Thanks Sandman

Appreciated.

FollowupID: 806602

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 18:32

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 18:32
Thanks for the replies every one. The reason that I wanted to purchase a MacCoupler was that I paid $14.95 for a Coleman bottle in Armidale. Ouch!!
Since my post I have found them for $8.95.
Also to refill a Coleman bottle I would have to remove one of my 9kg caravan bottles off the van to do this , so I might just as well use the 9kg directly onto my BBQ instead.
Seeing that I don't want go through the hassle of removing a 9kg from the van, I will continue to use the Coleman bottles, not at &14.95 each though!

Thanks again every one, Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 524725

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:45

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 20:45
They were $5.50 in Rays 5 years ago, so looks like they double in price every 5 years, people will look for alternatives at that rip off rate.

Just so people realise Coleman make them as do Companion and Benzo..

Used all and refilled with no issues ...
FollowupID: 806575

Sponsored Links