Track Trailer fights for military contract

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 17:44
ThreadID: 105839 Views:5382 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/news/camping-trailers/track-trailer-fights-for-military-contract-41072

Almost 20 years after developing its first range of military-spec trailers, Melbourne’s Track Trailer is lining up for another crack at a lucrative supply deal to Australia's armed forces.

The award-winning off-road camper trailer manufacturer originally developed its renowned MC2 asymmetric link suspension back in the mid-1990s, after being invited to tender for the supply of trailers to the Australian military.

The hard-core suspension has gone on to underpin a range of highly-regarded Track Trailer models including the Tvan, Topaz and new Mate trailer, and as well as its latest battle-ready weapon, the Thales Hawkei PMV-L.

The tough, go-anywhere trailer was developed in conjunction with Thales Australia, which produces the Bushmaster armoured vehicle and recently developed the next-generation Hawkei Australian Light Protected Vehicle at its Bendigo, Victory factory.

Resplendent in ‘desert sands’ warpaint and sporting a monster wheels/tyre package (each over 1.1m in diameter and weighing 140kg), PMV-L prototypes are currently undergoing rigorous testing by both Thales and the Australian government.

According to Track Trailer, the “trailer can be airlifted by helicopter, lashed down in the back of an aircraft carrier or inside a Hercules and boasts four tonne ATM on Track’s own single axle MC2 Suspension”.
?
Track Trailer is competing with both local and overseas suppliers for the contract to supply up to 1300 of the military-spec trailers.

My comment...how about a civvie street version of that Hawkei!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 19:37

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 19:37
Road Warrior.
That's a good article.

And a lot of average people think they have a "Hard Core" 4WD and have fitted 33"s that has 43"s.
AnswerID: 524626

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:15

Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 at 22:15
Aieeeee check the kerb weight!

Between 7 and 10 tonnes depending on vehicle configuration.

I'm wondering how much of that is taken up with armour plating and military-specific things. Probably quite a lot as it is designed for military use first and foremost.