Troopy rear door ladder

Submitted: Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 06:36
ThreadID: 105841 Views:6756 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We are trying to sort our a ladder for our troopy to access the roof racks.

I've come across these ones on eBay which clamp onto the rear door.

I've also seen the black widow ones that are fitted on the side of the vehicle but twice the price.

We were thinking of making one up but don't think we'll have the time.

My question is, is the small rear door on the troopy strong enough to have this ladder mounted and the weight of someone climbing up and down it. Obviously only when the doors closed. Something tells me its not a good idea to have all you weight hanging off it like that.

Appart from the black widow one is anyone else familiar with other aftermarket brands?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 06:48

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 06:48
which ones?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524639

Follow Up By: rb30e - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:05

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:05
I'm looking for Any after market brand that sells ladders for the troopy.

I've just found a mob called front runner that do one.
I can't seem to find the black widow ones online anymore. I saw the ladder fitted to a troopy At a show once.
FollowupID: 806382

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:37

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:37
From the first post, I thought you may have wanted to include a pic of a ladder, seems not. No probs at all.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524640

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:39

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:39
What we've done with our old Troopy might work for you, provided your Troopy has the spare wheel mounted on the big rear door, and a similar light setup.

On the small door we provided a step cut from a bit of 50mm square steel tube. This is mounted using the screws that mount the number plate light assembly. If you do go this way, recommend something a bit bigger than 50mm (2") tube.

Works well - step 1 to rear bumper, 2 to the new step, 3 to the spare wheel, 4 to the roof. Obviously you walk up sideways so that most of your foot is supported by the new step. It's essential that both doors be fully shut to minimise stress.

HTH

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524641

Follow Up By: Danna - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 01:38

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 01:38
Hi John

Isn’t that very bad for your door? When or if you go off road the hinges will get stuffed in no time, guaranteed. There is very good reason why people who goes off road spend so much money for carriers.
Cheers Dana
FollowupID: 806536

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 06:50

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 06:50
No Dana. Troopy hinges have a hard life anyway, especially the ones carrying the spare wheel. When off road (or onroad for that matter) the doors are solidly supported by the body. Why would this be any worse than mounting a ladder on the door? And yes, we've spent a lot of time offroad in this vehicle over the last 25 years!!

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 806538

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 09:39

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 09:39
Agreed John.
As in my photos below, there is an aluminium ladder on the small door and a spare wheel on the larger. This Troopy has done some pretty tough stuff off-road for over 6 years and there is no hinge problem. The hinges are not taking all the load when the doors are closed.
As a matter of fact, the only problem has been that the spare wheel load began to cause some body skin cracks around the mounting bracket. I added additional rib supports within the door cavity and have had no further problem.
I also have a 35 litre Waeco fridge mounted on the inside of the larger door which has caused no problem. It sits in contact with the floor when the door is closed to absorb any large shocks but is fully supported by the door when it is open.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 806539

Follow Up By: rb30e - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 16:52

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 16:52
Not a bad idea. We use to climb up onto the roof with my GU from the spare. They are known to have problems with the tailgate akin coming apart although we never had a problem with that. We did get a rattle in the tailgate though after some time. Even adjusting the strikers made no difference.

Our troopy never had the spare on the door. It was originally mounted under the car. The previous owner fitted two extra tanks so the spare is now mounted to a wheel carrier. It's just a single wheel carrier mounted to the original rear bar. I wouldn't trust it with any more weight than it already has. Especially some one climbing on and off it.

I think a ladder is the only option in our case.
FollowupID: 806560

Follow Up By: Danna - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:25

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 21:25
We never had wheel on back door on Troopy.
We learned our lesson from having a wheel on door of our Landy.

But as they say:
''Errare humanum est.'' (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
FollowupID: 806577

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:41

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:41
Do you really need one?
With the small door open I always just climbed from the step up onto the edge of the false floor in the back and then the spare and then onto the roofrack, you can also stand on the spare to unpack a rackbag etc.
There was a mob made a twin step that was held on the tread surface of the spare with a ratchet strap, was always going to make one but never got around to it. Having that meant you could climb up without having the little door open.
AnswerID: 524642

Follow Up By: craigandej - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:45

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 19:45
I agree you shouldn't need one especially if you have rear drawers installed. Step up onto the spare then climb onto roof rack. Use this method daily when travelling.

Cheers
FollowupID: 806454

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 09:41

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 09:41
Me personally I would not go for a side mounted ladder as I see tree branches getting caught in it and doing damage. I have a rear door mounted ladder on my Troopy. I got it from a mob called Endee Metals (here in Perth) who use to fabricate a lot of aluminium products for 4x4's now they just carry run of the mill junk. It cost about $230 in 1998.

I quickley learnt not to grab hold of the top rung or top sides of the ladder as there is the potential to pull the top of the door out thus creating sealing problems when closed, so I grab the gutter for that initial pull out. A persons weight is not a problem.
AnswerID: 524653

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12
that should be initial pull up not out.
FollowupID: 806390

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:38

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 14:38
Hi Arbee,

My first ladder was on the side, but it tangled with roadside scrub. More to the point, in order to minimise projection (legally < 50mm I think) it did not provide sufficient foot grip and one day with wet rungs and a LPG bottle in hand, my foot slipped and...... surgical operation to repair shoulder etc.
So it was modified and relocated to the rear door.......... and anti-skid added to the rungs!
Here it has sufficient clearance to allow the foot to go well on.

It has been no problem hanging on the door. Bear in mind that when the door is shut it is well supported on the vehicle body.

The ladder was made from a section of aluminium extension ladder. Sale price at Bunnings.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524673

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 15:21

Friday, Jan 17, 2014 at 15:21
Where do you live? If near Adelaide I might be able to get you one for free?
AnswerID: 524676

Follow Up By: al - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:05

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:05
howdy if this guy can't use it. Im interested if it could be made to fit 80 series tojo.

thanks
al
FollowupID: 806520

Follow Up By: rb30e - Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 16:46

Sunday, Jan 19, 2014 at 16:46
Really appreciate the generous offer but I'm in Sydney unfortunately. Thanks heaps anyway.
FollowupID: 806558

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:46

Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 at 16:46
To Al. No idea. It was on a troopy roofrack that I had modified to fit a 60 series and I just climb on the roof via the rear wheel carrier. You are welcome to come and have a look. Contact me via member email if you wish.
AnswerID: 524722

Sponsored Links