Dingo Campers - Dandenong Victoria

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:48
ThreadID: 10586 Views:7110 Replies:22 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Warning - for all potential buyers of the above campers.

I tried to buy a camper from the above company. I paid my desposit.

I then tried to arrange to pick up the camper and pay the remaining amount.

As my partner and I work fulltime, I tried to discuss a mutually agreeable time to pick up the camper.

I understand they are a small business and time can be difficult. However before I was able to get very far, I was told to ' bleep off' and they were withdrawing the sale.

I was totally dumbfounded and tried to sort the situation out. But they hung up on me.

I wish to warn people that if you do buy a camper from them, if that is the way they deal with things, what happens if for some unforeseen reason you have a problem with the campervan, will they to treat you in this way.

I was told that as a customer I had to fit in with them, and basically the interpretation I got was that is just tough for me.

They may have a good product from what I can see, but absolutely no service.

It makes me very insecure about how a customer who may need to claim on warranty will be treated.

I have discussed this with a friend who wished to also buy a camper and his reaction is no way. I have also discussed this with my father who has a small business and he says the fact that they wouldn't even discuss it and that they then swore at me that people should stay away from them.

I want all people to understand at all times I was polite and tried to work through the concerns they had.

To tell you the truth I was dumbfounded in respect of the whole situation.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:06

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:06
Lyndall,
That's astounding!! A business that is not willing to meet the needs of their clients when the purchase is as significant as that, does not deserve to be in business very long.
I own a Ultimate Camper (it was 2nd hand....no; I'm not rich), and the level of service both at the time of the sale and afterwards, has been second to none. When you buy an Ultimate, you are considered to be "part of the family".
My advice would be to try and get your deposit back and deal with somebody else; otherwise even if you can arrange a suitable time to collect your new trailer, you'll always be worried about what sort of reception you'll get if you have to go back.
" bleep OFF"...indeed....that's exactly what I'd be doing......
All the best
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47028

Follow Up By: Lyndal Tilley - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:14

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:14
Roachie

I agree with you, I think anyone who has bought a camper from Dingo should be concerned. I tol them I will picking up my deposit tomorrow at lunchtime. So I guess I'll see what sort of reception I get.

Thanks for your support.
FollowupID: 309002

Follow Up By: 10 Para- Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:17

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:17
Roachie,

Same with Australian Off Road Campers http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/ in fact they invite all owners away for to trips each year its not a plug just great gear and great peolple to deal with, i afraid that if i had been with Lyndal they would not have held be back.

what a bunch of bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbGoing soon can't wait
FollowupID: 309017

Follow Up By: 10 Para- Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:18
Roachie,

Same with Australian Off Road Campers http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/ in fact they invite all owners away for to trips each year its not a plug just great gear and great peolple to deal with, i afraid that if i had been with Lyndal they would not have held be back.

what a bunch of bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbGoing soon can't wait
FollowupID: 309018

Reply By: Pennywise - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:06

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:06
I had the same experiance with Dingo when I was shopping around for a Camper - I thought the guy was a fruit loop when he told me it was difficult to fit in a viewing of the camper before purchase. Very Dodgy IMHO.
AnswerID: 47029

Follow Up By: Lyndal Tilley - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:15

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:15
Exactly. I knew it just wasn't me.

Thanks for your support.
FollowupID: 309003

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:32

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:32
Lyndal,
what an amazing attitude to have in business. I know exactly where this guy's yard is. Yust down the road, heading towards Frankston at Carrum Downs is their competion. on the right of Frankston Dandenong road. Went there when I was looking at campers, got the whole factory tour, even open to the public on Saturday.
Good luck in getting your deposit back, and you are right, with this attitude before the sale, whats it going to be like after.
regards
Mike
AnswerID: 47030

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:01

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:01
Just supports what I have heard previously . . . . good product . . . crap service.

The guys I bought my camper off couldn't do enough for me . . . where even going to arrange their work around my hours if required (wasn't necessary).

Stick that one in the memory bank.
AnswerID: 47036

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:04

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:04
Lyndal
I don't want to pass comment on Dingo, but I didn't buy one! Time to take a breath, get your money, and enjoy your life without them. Get another camper and get into the bush!
There are many other campers to choose from, and I have said on this site before how happy I am with Tambo Campers. An increasing number of my friends and I have all had a trouble-free run with their campers. The owners are friendly, supportive and above all, professional. The best advice I can give you is that when you are ready to look around you should include Tambo. You won't regret it.
Good luck when getting your deposit back.
Ian
AnswerID: 47038

Reply By: Gajm - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:52

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 13:52
That is pitiful, makes you wonder what the hell these people are doing in business, I had a not quite so bad experience with another company in Cranbourne, I was after a quote, called and emailed several times and told it would be done and emailed to me that night, still nothing…and this was early Dec. I figured maybe it was the busy time of year and arranged to meet with them and have a look at the model I was intending to buy, as they had one about to be picked up.
When I got there at the planned time with my wife and family after the 40 min drive, I was told by the guys wife who also works there that her husband wasn’t in, and wouldn’t be back till later that day, and she really seemed annoyed that we were there, and made it clear she didn’t want to show us the camper as she couldn’t set it up on her own, after a few minutes my wife and I looked at each other with that “stuff this” look, and were about to leave, when I thought bugger it, I want to at least see it after the hassle, and asked her if we could just have a look at the packed up unit.
She reluctantly agreed and took us into the showroom part, where after a few mins she started to thaw, and was happy to tell us a lot more about it. But like I said before, I just couldn’t get a quote for the model I wanted, even after printing out a list and leaving it with me.

Went to another Camper trailer supplier In Carrum Downs for a look, and they were most helpful as I looked around, but when I asked if I could get the trailer fitted with 16” split rims like my tow vehicle runs I was told “it would look Sh**house” I replied I wasn’t overly concerned with how it looked, as it would make life easier for me to have the same wheels, he shook his head like I was stupid and informed me he could do it,”but I’m telling you, it will look SH**house”….which made me wonder if he knew just what these things are used for.

So now I have ordered A Trak Shak, (arranged to pick it up at at the Caulfield camping show, cause it saves me another $300) A lot of the reasoning was of course because it suits our needs. A lot of it was feed back from people on here, who have them and use them. But a hell of a lot was the service from the company, even over the X-mas break while the factory was closed I could still get in touch and ask Peter questions. So it goes to show just what a huge difference a bit of customer service can make

Glenn
AnswerID: 47051

Follow Up By: chook - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:10

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:10
Glenn,
we bought a trak shak from Peter. You'll find them a great company to deal with.
FollowupID: 309028

Reply By: Emo - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:34

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:34
If that is their attitude then they have lost your sale and perhaps many more. I might be in the market for a camper in the next year or two (wife is getting tired of a tent and would like a bit more in the way of creature comforts). There is no way that I would consider a Dingo after what I've read here.
You have you revenge. Word of mouth (and internet forums) are a good way to pass on the message of who not to do business with.
AnswerID: 47058

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:37

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:37
Hi LT
about 3 years ago when we decided to buy a camper and because we lived near where Dingo were built ,we "tried" to get info from them about their camper. We were in S Aust at the time and we thought that we could get the build done and be ready for us for when we got back home.. No way buddy . THe Idjit on the phone abused me for even thinking that I could even buy one and if I did just get in line. He even suggested that I try to buy another camper cause he cant be bothered with stuffing around on the phone.
We did go elswhere and purchased our CT in S Aust. so my state missed out on some revenue and not the damnest bit sorry for it . Finished up with a top CT. My experience with them!!!
AnswerID: 47065

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:45

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 16:45
Some people just don't know what customer service is. When we brought the KK Peter at Express Campers gave us his card & said if we had a problem to call him 24/7, so on first trip the battery had a stuffed sell so i took him up on his offer , told us to take it down when we got back & he took the old 100ah acid battery out & put a 150 ah gel one in could not be happier.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 47075

Reply By: Andy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:41

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:41
Lyndal,

Sorry to hear about you experience. I looked at their campers a few years ago but was put off by Mr. Dingo's sales pitch. He is a complete lunatic!!

I hope you get your deposit back OK.

Andrew
AnswerID: 47084

Reply By: AndrewW - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:08

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:08
Lyndal,

I live quite near Dandenong and dropped in one day for a look. The guy was a bit intense and carried on quite a bit, but his wife was quite ok.

He told us that this was the last lot of campers he was making, and he had a contract making something for Ford utes, can't remember what though. He even bad mouthed the Trading Post for not removing his add when he asked. Apparently he has been using this line for a couple of years now. Who knows...

Interestingly, he tried to setup business at Anderson, and big roundabout just where you turn to go to Phillip Island. I used to live near there, and there was a huge uproar by him in the local paper, as the council refuse his permit to build a factory there. Quite funny really, but if you ever go past there are some trailers in the paddock at the top of the hill with signs all over them protesting about the council and the dollars they lost over the whole debarcle. He obviously has some issues up top, the whole thing happened about eight years ago, but he hasn't let it go...

If he doesn't give the deposit back, round up some hench men
AnswerID: 47087

Reply By: Rowdy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:09

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:09
I was interested in his rooftop campers which looked top quality at the 4x4 show he was displaying them at, but of course you would take your best handy work to a display would'nt you, anyway what put me off was his sales leaflets stated "unwritten warranty if you have a problem see us". I thought this unusual and held backfrom buying. From your experience this warranty would probably be interpreted as " bleep off".
Please post if you get your deposit back, I think we would all like to know.
Rowdy
AnswerID: 47089

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:18

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:18
WARNING! ...................... Don't buy a Tru Blu Camper Trailer either.
If anyone needs the reasons I would be happy to discuss, but too many reasons to post here.
Beware of the actual weight of whichever trailer that you buy as there are a lot of fraudulent compliance plates fitted in regard to the weight. Also check that the axle assy is really rated to a minimum 120% of the ATM.
AnswerID: 47096

Follow Up By: Gajm - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:26

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:26
Shaker if you can be bothered typing out an email about the problems surely you could put a post in here about them, i personaly would like to hear about any probs with any company, as altho i have decided to order a Trak Shak i still know people looking at buying other brands, one of which was looking at a Dingo, but as we are speaking they are reading the above replies and can make up their own minds, not really a hard decision I'd think

Glenn
FollowupID: 309060

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:05

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:05
Read between the lines in my post! Also the build & paint quality was of a very poor standard.
BTW .... I got my money back after 7 months of being unable to use it due to it being built non compliant to ADR's!
FollowupID: 309089

Follow Up By: Andy - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:19
Interesting!!

I bought a Tru Blu camper a couple of years ago in a bit of a hurry.
I actually sold it before I even used it. I could not face owning something of such poor quality. Luckily I did not lose any money on it.
They seem to have lifted their game a little, but not much.
Everything to a budget though i suppose.
I now have a Track Tvan an love it!

Hoo Roo
FollowupID: 309214

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:11

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:11
Very interesting! That was the other reason I took them to VCAT, was the very poor build quality, which I couldn't stand to own!
I bought a Track Eagle, which we love & are proud to own. Like chalk & cheese compared to the Tru Blu. You say built to a budget, but there are plenty for a similar price, or less, that are better built.
Mine showed a tare weight on the compliance plate of 450kg, we took it to a weighbridge, actual weight 900kg!
The a AlKo axle assembly was rated to only 1000kg, so according to the ADR's it was already overloaded, & it had no brakes!
FollowupID: 309235

Follow Up By: Member - Gary - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:20

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 21:20
Shaker - we bought a tru blu before xmas - been on 3000 km trip - however mainly on the bitumen for that trip - No problems except a seam leak. We think that the kitchen stove does not put out enough heat but are going to check that out locally before taking it up with them. Can you email a list of your problems to us so we check them out. Thanks Gary gcwright@hotkey.net.auDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
FollowupID: 309339

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 17:52

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 17:52
Andy,
I would be keen to talk to you, could you email me your home phone number & I'll ring you one evening?

patrol6@ozemail.com.au
FollowupID: 309549

Reply By: WDR - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 19:47
If you can't get your deposit back - Straight to Consumer Affairs or whatever they have in Vic.
Don't let it get to you, there are all kinds in this world, remember - He is minute minority.
AnswerID: 47099

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:29

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:29
O.K., so I bought a Dingo camper, always thought I was the black sheep in the family, seemed to have a slightly different experience though. Rang up prior to XMAS after viewing add in trading post. Rang first as I live about 4 hours away. Agree, guy is a bit of a nutter, but after some persistent, specific questioning got the answers I was after. Made an appointment to meet with cash in hand, ringing first to ensure the model I was looking for was in stock and was ready to go, he did mention customers being difficult by always wanting "the one right up the back that takes me days to get to". Arrived at arranged time. His son was the only one there, I think this was probably the best piece of luck I had, very helpful, quiet, answers questions enthusiastically, lots of kowledge. Paid on the spot and was on the road within 10 minutes, even asked if I wanted it registered while I waited, decided against, (saved myself $50), every bit helps. No extravagant claims made about trailer/tent, told its limitations truthfully, have had no problems and have spent the last two months modifying with extra bits 'n pieces, still happy. If the old guy concentrated on making the things and letting his son sell them we would probably have a different opinion. Have nothing against the other brands but hard to complain about $2,800 brand new, can't afford $10,000+ for a camper
Just my opinion
Rolande
AnswerID: 47106

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:49

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:49
Having bought a Dingo Camper over 5 years ago, We found them a good quality camper for a fair price. Having said that, Mr Dingo was another story. He didnt tell us to " bleep off", but he was arrogant & pushy, saying he "didn't care if we bought it or not". His wife on the other hand was very pleasant. Sorry to hear about your bad experience but your not alone there. The bloke is a nutter.
Our camper was excellent & travelled everywhere, but we have since sold it & gone back to tent camping. ( I like to travel light).
These days there are plenty of other lower priced campers on the market than when we were buying, so I suggest you get your deposit back & buy elsewhere.
Good Luck & happy travelleing

PMKGoogs track 2003
AnswerID: 47113

Reply By: cloughie - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:54

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 20:54
Went to Dandenong factory/showroom and thought the bloke in question was just a bit eccentric. Anyway he mellowed after a while and I ended up having a meaningful converstion with him. Based on what I saw I bought a near new secondhand unit which I am very happy with. These units are very good value and I suggest that if you like the unit forget your grievance, buy it and enjoy it as we do.
AnswerID: 47116

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:06

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:06
I know all you guys are probably in Melbourne, but Wodonga is only 3 hours from there. We brought a Kanga Kamper from Wodonga 5 months ago and havn't had to worry about the after sales service cause we havn't needed it. The Kanga is really good, MIck, the owner is also a pleasure to do business with, and nothing was to much trouble for him. The Kanga's might be a bit pricey for some, but the old saying is, "you get what you pay for".
Lyndal, I can't imagine the anger you would be going through right now, I would have been down there and ripped his head off by now........good luck in trying to get your deposit back...........I would be taking a little bit of back up if I was you, like a 6 foot 6 male, built like a brick bleep house.let us all know how you get on tomorrow. We will all be right behind you.
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 47144

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:36

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:36
did you mean mr Al?1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
FollowupID: 309124

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:39

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:39
Mr Al's a big marshmallow!"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 309146

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:48

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:48
Lyndal could probably borrow Mr Al and my husband who is 6"6 and built like a brick bleep house.....................my hubby is a big softie too! Apart from if someone upsets him (but that takes alot).......imagine the look on Mr Dingo's face then...................lol lol lol
Karen

Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 309150

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:01

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:01
Wombat....I'm not sure he'd appreciate the description....Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 309155

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:38

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:38
BUT . . . . he told me he loves it when I call him marshmallow.

. . . . and sweetcheeks

. . . . and cuddly pumpkin"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 309161

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:40

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:40
Oh, ok Wombie..I forgot about that little thing you 2 have going.....you forgot .....love muffin.....

Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 309162

Follow Up By: Wombat - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:42

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:42
But I hate muffins!"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
FollowupID: 309180

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:47

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:47
well I think I've heard you utter "my succulent little ducky" and I know you love ducks !!Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 309181

Follow Up By: . - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:30

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:30
could we please leave the duck out of this lolol only picture i could find that wouldnt
annoy/upset/confuse/stir any one
unless your a snail
FollowupID: 309246

Reply By: jules15 - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:58

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:58
We bought a Dingo camper - will definitely agree the bloke is the rudest, most difficult person to deal with - the wife is better - but what a way to do business - won't go to the shows - probably fought with everyone concerned - how he has stayed in business is beyond me - but his product is quite good - and we did have a problem not long after we bought our camper from him - he did honour the warranty - though my husband is quite a forceful person in his own right when necessary - as am I - what needs to happen is for him to sell the business or employ some sales people who know how to handle the public - if you don't like dealing with the public - why are you in business - I submitted a forum entry re this guy a couple of years ago - and I would still recommend the product - just be aware of who you are dealing with - the best idea is to go there with the full price in your hand - say you want a camper NOW - he will accomodate you - has done for at least three people I know - maybe someone should tell him - though his hide is so tough he wouldn't get it anyway. Be very forceful when wanting your deposit back - give hime exactly what he gives out. Good luck
AnswerID: 47163

Follow Up By: rolande- Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:15

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:15
I gave him the "I've got the cash and I want that one over there NOW!.
got it in 15 mins
Rolande
FollowupID: 309244

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:00

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:00
Wow, i'm going to get lessons off this guy for my job LOL......

Last time i was over in SA i was driving past the Trak Shak factory, so i drop in for a look, Well they couldn't have been more helpfull, wanted to know all about my vehicle and intended destinations and use etc.. Took me straight out the back and let me crawl all over ( and under ) a few different models, answered technical questions without holding back . Happy to talk about any mods or extras, they even kit out with spare stub axles etc if you want !!! Of course i may have just been fishing for some ideas , But these guys were great, even let me know how i could write it off on tax because of my job :-) .. Excellent product, excellent service.Just killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
AnswerID: 47302

Follow Up By: Lyndal Tilley - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:27

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:27
I just want to say thank you to all of you in respect of the difficulties I have had with Dingo campers.

It's been great to have the support and the feedback.

Well, there was no problem in getting back my deposit. Mind you Dianne (the wife) did not want to have any discussion. And of course he never showed his face.

I considered all of your suggestions, and in between time my partner went to Outback campers, Frankston Dandenong Road, Carrum Downs and purchased a camper. It might have been a little dearer, but the quality was just as good, if not better. He stated the customer service was very professional, he was provided with every opportunity to ask questions and is confident that will have good sales and service backup if ever needed.

So we should be going happy camping soon.

FollowupID: 309295

Reply By: trakers - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 21:37
Hi Lyndall--- I bought an Outback camper 5yrs ago (onroad) It has since been to Alice Springs, Longreach, Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Exmouth and Broken Hill-- I live in Victoria. I must say it has also been on some prrrretty rough roads!! It has also been in some very heavy rain and I can't fault it . It sits on the road beautifully and is very comfortable with 4 adults using it. I was advised to put light truck tyres on which I did --- this added to the ease of towing and reliability of it. I find it light to shift around by hand when needing to. I wouldn't trade it for anything!!! I am at the moment packing it to head for Alice Springs again. So pack it up and ENJOY!!!
Lyn
AnswerID: 47624

Reply By: Dingo Campers - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:12

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 21:12
Answer to the half-truths - RE: Lyndal Tilley's post, 17/2/04.

Dingo campers is a family run, "small" business (factory direct), which has been operating for 30 years. Because we have no large overheads, no "sales-people", we are able to offer great bargains (no tea or coffee) at very, very competitive prices - in fact, we advise people to shop around and compare.

Mrs. Tilley and companion did arrive to look at our campers (approx. 25 on display), on Saturday 14th February. Even though we had just closed, and had a prior engagement that afternoon, I was not rude and I showed them around.

They "fell in love" with an ex-demo, offroad camper ($840 off the original, cheap price) and said they'd be back. Mrs. Tilley rang early Monday, 16th February, and asked if we would hold the camper (with no deposit) untl 11:30am. We did; however, she did not turn up until 12:30pm. She paid her $200 deposit (that's all we ask), and left saying that she would ring to arrange a pick-up time (factory times were explained to her).

Mrs. Tilley rang back with the attitude of we had to work around her for pick-up. I tried to explain that there were four other people's sales and pick-ups before hers, and that Saturday 21st was already "booked out", with two other pick-ups (One man was driving down from Albury). She "suggested" that I work later! Explained that Wednesday 18th, or Friday 20th and the following week were available. However, she suggested that this was not good enough!

On ourownundertaking, we decided to refund her deposit of $200, so that she could shop elsewhere. Yes, my husband did "lose his cool", as she was arrogant, un-cooperative, and unwilling to listen.

As far as our after sales service is concerned - Our name is oneverycamper that we sell. So warranty and queries are not a problem. We even assist where we can. If people buy our vans second hand, our business has then flourished on our good name.

In reply to Andrew W. Re: Campers for utes - This is still in the pipeline. Regarding the matter near Phillip Island: your facts are incorrect. The issue wasnotover building a factory (don't need one), it was over the local council's attitude towardsallsmall businesses in the area (by the way - they were cited as the worst council in Victoria by the Herald Sun).

In reply to Rowdy: Wedo notandhave notever made rooftop campers. You are confusing us with another company!

- Dianne (Dingo Campers)
AnswerID: 49195

Follow Up By: Lyndal Tilley - Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:30

Friday, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:30
Reply to Dianne from Dingo Campers

Of course you would have to try a dispute the facts. You and your husband stuffed up. You treated me, who was your customer, appallingly.

For you write the above suggests your recollection of events is clouded resulting in what could be considered to be a number of untruths in your email. Actually I am too being nice about it, what you have actually stated in most instances is untrue. Lets also be clear, I did not rescind the sale, you did. I still trying to discuss about the pick up when your husband decided to do so.

All I can say is that what I wrote originally was the facts. There are too many laws in this country, to not be sure of your facts.

I took the action of sharing my experiences about your business on this website, so any potential customer you may have is not only made aware of the way you do business, but also so you and your husband get it through your heads, that you do not treat people this way, even if you are a family run business.

I am not used to be told to ' bleep off' or be hung up on when I am the customer and I am trying to discuss and find a solution which suits all parties. How can I be rude, uncoperative and unwilling to listen when I are stunned with what was going on.

I think you have good product, but I still believe if that is the way you treat a customer, you'd have to be consider what is the aftersales service likely to be if it was ever needed. A customer has to have confidence. I had none in the end.

Dianne, I hope you and your husband learn from this and try and understand about what is customer service and as such general politeness as well. It is now all up to you both.

Good luck.

FollowupID: 311118

Sponsored Links