My new D-max

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 07:53
ThreadID: 105868 Views:7750 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
Picked up the new D-Max (2013 LS-Terrain Dual Cab) on thursday and am itching to get it into the outback.
I am keen to hear from other D-Max owners regarding mods, accessories, performance, any issues encountered etc etc.
So far for me with 1000kl on the clock:
Pros:
Fuel economy awsome, 10.5lt/100kl fully loaded towing camper.
Huge amount of space, lots of leg room in the rear.
Plenty of power.
No air bags needed, rear only drops 25mm fully loaded and with trailer on.
Feels very solid, good finish.

Cons:
Ride is a little harsh, but still ok (its a truck afterall)
A bit noisy on accelleration under load (loaded and trailer hitched up)
Sat Nav sd card faulty ( dealer to replace)

Wish list: (advice and opinons welcome !)
Canopy (what brand ?)
Rear Drawers & Fridge slide
Bullbar (what brand ?)
2" lift (how ?)
Dual battery system (battery location ?)

Cheers
Dave

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Az - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 08:31

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 08:31
Well done on the purchase of the Dmax Dave. It's a great truck. Whilst on paper it looks a bit down on power compared to other utes, we've never felt like it has lacked power. Can be a bit noisey though. Now 20,000km on clock.

We have taken our LS Terrain through the Gibb River road, Kalumburu, Bungles, Mitchell Plateau and used it for weekend camping and we love it. The only damage was a chipped windscreen from a road train.

We live in Darwin, so choice of aftermarket suppliers are limited. We mainly used ARB for bullbar, canopy and roofrack which we are happy with, although being ARB take your wallet. TJM put on their Airtech snorkel. And we changed the tyres to Duelers 697 LT AT which improvs ride and road noise considerably in our experience. My cousin installed a Redarc isolator for our dual battery (in the tray).

All this added weight has progressively made the suspension sag a fair bit over 18 months and whilst fully loaded through the Kimberley's we sagged a fair bit. It's going in for an OME suspension upgrade next week.
All up, we are very happy. Future mods; maybe a secondary fuel filtration unit.

Enjoy your Dmax. Saw plenty of them in the Kimberley's. and the local councils up that way are also starting to use them in Broome Derby and Kununurra.

Happy travels.
AnswerID: 524768

Reply By: Kanga1 - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:22

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:22
Hi Dave, the D-Max should serve you well they have proved to be very reliable in off road endurance events such as the Australasian Safari and Dakar, we watched them with great interest for 3 years before buying our Space Cab a few months ago, in my Blog there are a couple of entries on a couple of things we have started modifying on ours, and a few more in the pipeline yet to be posted. Good luck, cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524770

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 13:52

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 13:52
I have a Spacecab LSU purchased in April 2013 now just ticked over 44k KMs.
So far 265 75 16" on steel in place of 17" alloys (sold them to a new home), Ally canopy as there were none available when I purchased - love Ally as I can drill and weld and do stuff, OE bull bar which is ordinary at best, ARB 300kg suspension, ARB rear step/tow bar (sold the shiny one to a new home), Safari snorkel, sidesteps replaced by rock sliders (can't seem to sell them) and just recently a 135L fuel tank in place of the 76L (which I am trying to sell). I am using an Arkpak battery box behind the drivers seat and it appears to be working ok - a friend managed to squeeze another battery under the bonnet but at this stage I'll stick to my setup. The Engel sits behind the passenger seat (I don't have passengers). The rear tub was sprayed with some "tough" paint stuff and this also appears to be working ok. I have also put the mandatory uhf on the centre console.
So here goes nothing - if you intend to use it as a ute to do stuff then forget the rear drawers - waste of time - use tubs. Canopy - plenty available now but I like mine because it can be worked on easily (and its checker plate and doesn't scratch).Suspension - with the lift it is still pretty comfortable for a baby truck. Bullbar - anything is better than the OE bar. Battery - if you wish to move some stuff then it fits under the bonnet LHS in front of the fuel filter. A real downer are the headlights. The projector lights - high beam is barely adequate and low beam is downright dangerous.
So far if I drive really christian I can get down to the low 8's as an average and just to stuff around I managed 7.5 average on the dash readout a week ago but I would have pushed me off the road for being a slow b*stard. A couple of desert trips fully loaded and left in 4wd H for a week saw 10.8 and I'm very happy. Similar up to Darwin and back a couple of times last 6mths has seen low 10's.....seems pretty good especially with the tyres and lift and canopy and......all the other stuff that we accumulate
So far all is good and with any luck it will continue to perform as well as it has so far. rgds

Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524787

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:07

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:07
Hi Maverick, could you tell me the off set and the width of the 16 inch rims you fitted please. I am still running the 17s but have a set of MT ATZs 16s I would like to fit to the Max.
FollowupID: 806639

Follow Up By: Top End Az - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:22

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:22
Maverick - I was also looking at the ARB OME 300kg set up. Any more detail on the ride, handling, comfort side of things ?
FollowupID: 806667

Follow Up By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:55

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:55
isuzumu - rims 16x8 steel......no idea on offsets but there is stuff all on the outside of the rim - all on the inside. I changed 3 days after getting the car so can't compare anything as it did stuff all kms on the mags and originals. I didn't need to cut anything to fit the 265's with the OE suspension and once the OME went in heaps of room and nothing has touched.
Top End AZ - the OME 300 has been as good as the OE was though I didn't do anything very serious until I had fitted it. On the blacktop is good and the comfort is far above the only other dual cab I used for 4 years at work - a Hilux - it was diabolical unloaded but once we put the regulation 1 tonne (+GST) on board it was ok. Have done a couple of fully loaded trips to/from Darwin (I am Sth of Perth) and is good. Also a couple of dirty desert runs loaded and was even better - nothing to do with the load just that I was in the desert. A friend has similar DMax and has the 600 suspension fitted but he is always carrying minimum 400kg and uses his for work and also tows a tractor on a trailer. He also has no complaints.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806762

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:44

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:44
Hi David, we have clocked up 50,000 on ours since Sept 2012 LS-T, GRR and the Gulf towing our camper and a trip down to Vic and SA towing our Jayco Sterling Outback.
Up grades:- Sax 3SDS suspension the best thing we have done to it (do not need to use WDH), DP chip and exhaust now around 150 Kw and 470 Nm tows the van with ease worst economy 16Lp100. Fitted a set of Drifta draws great stuff. Second battery in the tub. Great vehicle, you will not regret your purchase.
AnswerID: 524801

Follow Up By: Member - David T5 - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:30

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 14:30
Thanks Bruce
sounds like you have had lots of fun in the DMax, some questions if you dont mind, what does the Sax 3sds suspension comprise of and where from, what canopy domyou have, also how did you seal your tailgate.
cheers
Dave
FollowupID: 806720

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 17:53
Just google sax suspension plenty of info there, I was advised to put my vent at the front of the canopy, not to much dust there as long as you remember to have it opened, the canopy is ARB the vent is from flexiglass. I had a piece of refrigeration foam glued on the bottom of the tail gate, not there any more and still not a lot of dust.
FollowupID: 806727

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:48

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:48
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

The colorado and isuzu forums are near the bottom, both should have plenty of info, the colly being fairly similar to the isuzu, suspension etc are the same.

Theres quite a bit of info on both as the models are slowly gaining popularity.

AnswerID: 524898

Follow Up By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 22:59
maybe it's just me but every time I try and use their forum the page always defaults to sign in - every time I try to answer or set up a question I get the sign in page..........gives me the sh.ts so as much as I would like to be part of the discussion I guess not. Thought it may have been because I have got rid of my Maverick after 20yrs and gone IFS.......

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806763

Sponsored Links