Pedantic Replies

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:33
ThreadID: 105869 Views:4582 Replies:25 FollowUps:40
This Thread has been Archived
For a while on this site, there seems to be a trend for some people who reply to the OP, to go off on tangents or become really pedantic about replies or posts from people answering questions.

If the posts are about solar, batteries or 240v power, the frequency of this seems to climb vertically.

A person will post a question and heaven help them as some posters battle it out for keyboard supremacy, getting way of track and just plain confusing the OP.

Answers like, some people are just lazy. That really helps the OP and just sends them away. If you believe that don’t post an answer. If you can’t say anything to help don’t say anything at all.

The recent posts that come to mind are the both RCD c/b’s tripping on a fault and the battery in the rear or engine bay.

Often you see someone post a very reasonable answer only to be attacked because they didn’t dot the I or cross a T.

My way of thinking is posters ask questions on a forum and would like direct answers to their post, not be led off down the garden path to a land far,far away.

Then again it is strange. I have been wrong before.

Have a nice Monday.
Back Expand Un-Read 9 Moderator

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:00
I agree 100 %, it is near on impossible to get a straight answer because someone always knows better than the poster before. Then the poster before retaliates because they realy do know the answer, then you have the person that doesn't know the answer but will have a crack at it any way, then you have the person that had a friend of a friend's brother in laws cousin with a similar problem 20 years ago with a different make have a crack at it, then the real bleep fight starts.

I try to just sit back and have my Friday funnies every day reading all the replies, I actually play a game on these forums, I try to guess who is going to burst a bubble first and start the bleep fight.

I used to try and contribute here often with posts that I did actually know the answer to, but now I just have my own bit of fun.

Phil

AnswerID: 524771

Reply By: Member - ken m4 - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:01
Have to agree. Although every one has a right to comment on a subject or question raised, I do not complete reading all replies when the subject of post has been hijacked or becomes clouded with side issues.
AnswerID: 524772

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:33

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 10:33
There is way too much off topic & thread crapping, the Moderators really need to clamp down for a while.
The other problem is that Google makes everybody an "expert"!

AnswerID: 524774

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 21:11

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 21:11
"The other problem is that Google makes everybody an "expert"!"

Ain't that the truth.

FollowupID: 806670

Follow Up By: Member - Michael L5 - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:50

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:50
"Google makes everybody an "expert"!

Some years back I heard it said that, "Information does not equal knowledge and knowledge does not equal wisdom".

In this age of the Internet and Google I am sure those words have never been more true.
FollowupID: 806781

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:37

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:37
Slow one - agree.

If I see a post about RCD's, I start running at 100mph in the opposite direction.

Also lets not forget..... Greenies / National Parks, Gubberment regulations, or the moment someone mentions the "Nanny State".
AnswerID: 524778

Reply By: Bazooka - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:57

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:57
This topic pops up every now and again on Exploroz. I'll simply say that no-one should ever expect a pristine thread on any public forum. Posts will invariably take threads on different paths, sometimes far more interesting than the initial topic. If they get too far off topic the instigator can simply get back on and take control of his/her thtread by re-posting or asking for clarification. Blunt, sarcastic replies simply reflect poorly on the responder although there are times when I'm sure many of us have had similar thoughts but refrained from expressing them publicly.

Posts on electricity/gas/safety will always be "controversial", and so they probably should. People with expert technical knowledge will continue to fight the good fight against the misinformation and downright dangerous comments occasionally made by a few well-intentioned posters. The old "I did this and it hasn't blown up in my face yet" really doesn't cut it in this day and age for me. I don't pretend to understand most of the detail because I don't need to in most cases but I do know a few EOers who I'd trust (and others I wouldn't) as a result of reading their detailed technical (or colloquial) replies (which may or may not be useful to the original questioner as you point out).

On a public forum the responsibility starts with the questioner/originator. It seems reasonable in some cases at least that you first do some research yourself, then search the forum, then ask your question with as much clarity and detail as you think will get you the answers. Questions such as "which tyre/vehicle?" with minimal accompanying detail invite sarcasm, rightly or wrongly, particularly when similar questions have been asked many times previously.

I may be wrong but surely the point of asking most questions is to read a variety of ideas, experiences and views so the asker can pick out or follow up on those he/she thinks are useful. If the responses are too technical then simply get back on and ask for a simpler explanation, as many have done before and many will do in the future.

Opinion topics on the other hand are a different kettle of fish. Don't start one if you can't stomach contrary views and aren't able or prepared to defend your position.
AnswerID: 524782

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:50

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:50
Yes Bazooka, you are quite right, particularly about 230v electrical matters.

My difficulty arises when a matter of personal safety becomes evident and readers are offered plausible but unsafe advice. It matters not about one's qualification or expertise, there are always those who are 'cocky' and truly believe that they know all about the subject who will at worst post unsafe statements or at best post responses which simply muddy the waters and confuse. Repeated efforts to clarify can then be viewed as "pedantic". I respond to try and resolve but eventually, as in a recent thread, simply opt-out to terminate the confusion, however I find it difficult to 'bite-my-tongue' when matters of safety are involved.

A few years back we had Collyn Rivers as a regular expert Member until, for much the reasons we discuss here, Collyn reached the limit of his tolerance and ceased to contribute. An extract from his final post is as follows:

(Quote begins) "Time and time again however the very basis of the postings are disputed - leaving one in the necessary absurdity of trying to convince someone that: 'No - the effects of Ohm's law are not 'personal opinions'. Etc. Within a few postings, the thread tends to leave the questioner more confused than previously.
It has also not infrequently caused others to state my advice is flawed or wrong and this is a serious issue for a professional engineer and professional writer/publisher offering advice in the same field. People are thus left wondering about my competence in the very area in which I publish - but with no way of judging it.
I have therefore and reluctantly decided to cease, as from now, to respond to all questions on this site in all areas in which I work, write and/or publish. I will however continue to post on other areas where I feel I may be able to assist.
I truly thank everyone who, over the past few years, has been kind enough to acknowledge assistance provided.
Collyn Rivers" (End of quote)

As a professional engineer myself, I can understand exactly where Collyn was coming from.

The entire thread can be read here and even after his "resignation" there were follow-ups of derision which substantiated Collyn's point!

The misfortune of it is that ExplorOz lost an expert and valuable contributor. And I would expect that such others have either never offered or have ceased to offer.

Accordingly, the uninformed reader has little way to judge the competence of a response on this site. Some similar forums do have subject moderators appointed to oversee such matters, but not here.

As you say Bazooka.... "I do know a few EOers who I'd trust (and others I wouldn't)" but a new poster to the site does not even have that benefit! It is a unfortunate and frustrating matter.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 806632

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:37
Agree with Bazooka and Alan.
Maybe we, and I include myself in the category, would like, and have gotten use to, having our information delivered to us like our milk. Homogenised, pasteurised and packaged ready for consumption with all the additives clearly listed.
Maybe we should pay a little more heed to sayings like "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him how to fish and he will feed himself for the rest of his life."
It's been many a long year since I sat in a class room but I do remember one piece of insight that managed to find it's way through the fog.
Learn how to learn.
My point being that if we were to consider a particular area of expertise that may not be much more than smoke and mirrors (maybe a bad choice wording....lol.) to many, dare I mention the dreaded "E" word. Yep, electricity...there I said it. Now you would think that any two sparkies, or at least those that have more than a nodding acquaintance with the subject would largely agree on how to avoid getting a bit too up close and personal with the stuff.
As any who have followed the bleep fights that have unfolded in numerous threads would know as per the words of that old song "it ain't necessarily so". This being the case how would the uninitiated know who speaks the truth and who may just be "bending" the facts little. My opinion, with bit of independant research, while that may not entitle you to add the letters that indicate you hold a degree in electrical engineering or even a ticket to do basic wiring could just give you enough insight into who actually speaks with a forked tongue. (;=))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 806649

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:23

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:23
Pop,
I will reply to you and I see your point of view.

Now here is an example. Someone asked will both rcd's trip on the same fault. The simple answer is. Yes if they are both similar rcd's. In other words both are 30ma and have a similar tripping time.

Now we get into the pedantic area of nit picking. Some will say this is not correct because of blah, blah, blah and so the beat goes on. Now some learned person will say that is wrong. If they want to bet a beer on it I am up for it.

The simple question gets altered into 10ma rcd's which no one uses except hospitals. Having said that someone will say we do and the beat goes on. So it starts again. I come back and say bet you don't use a 10ma rcd in general industry, because you will forever be resetting the rcd because of nuisance trips, and the beat goes on, meanwhile turning the OP's head into a throbbing pumpkin.

Problem is the OP cops a heap of info and argument instead of the simple answer.

Yes! often they will both trip if they are 30ma and have similar tripping times.

Point is it is a simple answer and the OP can relate to it. Once the pedantics come in, thunder clouds appear and lightning strikes us all.

Someone said I speak with forked tongue, until they realise I am a lizard. Slow and lazy.

FollowupID: 806656

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:28

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:28
Like your style mate (:=))

Yeah I think what you have laid down is a pretty good example of what I was trying to get at, probably not that clearly.
Using the example you have used surely a quick search of RCD manufacturer's web sites would give the tolerances these devices work to. Now while that may not mean giving the whole story to someone with limited exposure to things electrical I would have thought that if a number of sufficient magnitude was the tolerance then it may give an idea as to how 2 same rated units would operate at slightly different points.
Then again maybe I am looking at this particular example in too simplistic terms. After all I am only an old retired mechanic and leave that 240v or more stuff to those qualified to handle it. Might just give me a few more years on this Earth....LOL

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 806668

Follow Up By: Slow one - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:00

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:00
Pop,
I don't know your walking frame manufacturer, but mine says I can walk all over yours anytime. LOL.

Do it easy young fella.
FollowupID: 806673

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 00:32

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 00:32
Agree with every one!This is one of the reasons I stopped commenting on various subjects a couple of years ago.
TTFN
Tony S
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 806690

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:50

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:50
You shouldn’t get too serious about the way sites like this operate.
Contributor’s identities and qualifications can’t be verified and most people use an alias.
Posters will argue the merits of their own brand of vehicle, battery or tyres to justify their purchases.
Others will give inaccurate technical advice without realizing the limits of thei knowledge or expertise.
You can’t bank on the credibility of information from sites like these as there is a lot of wheat mixed with the chaff.
AnswerID: 524792

Reply By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 15:33

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 15:33
Maybe there could be a new window beside's the "thanks" thumbs up .... thumbs down ...
off topic flag .... fact or crap !! ...
This might give the OP an insite to what others thing of that comment ....
cheers
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 524795

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 15:40

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 15:40
Nick, There would probably be as many 'thumbs' in each box as the other. LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 806634

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:13

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:13
On a related subject is people not reading a post properly and 'correcting' a point that was in fact correct and misread by the corrector.

Another point is a particular post repeated later in the thread almost word for word as if it is the new posters original thought.
AnswerID: 524797

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:50

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:50
To the second line of this, yes this really bugs me,your reply gets ignored and the copier somehow becomes a genius!

I find it happens more on those forums here they're more close knit and tend to lock others out.
FollowupID: 806682

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 18:14

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 18:14
And sometimes, another point is a particular post repeated later in the thread almost word for word as if it is the new posters original thought. Yes, I had a chuckle....my mind is small. :-)
FollowupID: 806729

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 18:21
G'day Mike, Glad you had that thought. Yes, I had a chuckle....my mind is small too. :-)
FollowupID: 806730

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:31

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 16:31
G'day Slow one,

I've been wrong before as well but the nature of this forum has changed quite a lot and I would add, unfortunately! There have always been stirrers on here and people with strong opinions which made the site fun. There has also been clashes of the titans about all matters of fact or otherwise and for me that made it interesting. I have really appreciated the information that people have shared and usually it has given me a new level of understanding about an issue.

Just another point, people have different personalities and respond differently to information. For example my wife needs direct answers but I better be able to fill in the details when she wants them otherwise she considers my direct answers just fluff. For me, give me the details and I will work out the answer.

Maybe just enjoy the virtual company and skip the arguments - life is too short.

Hoping you had a great Monday

Kind regards
AnswerID: 524798

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:31

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:31
To be fair, sometimes an issue turns into a debate after somebody has answered the OP in good faith but the answer isn't often that straightforward. The advantage of a forum is that the truth is usually distilled and the answer or truth eventually achieved. I remember years ago when I started on solar and batteries setting of a lively debate here with a query but I learned a lot from it.

Having said that, some people just have a little too much time on their hands and would start an argument in an empty house.
AnswerID: 524809

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:37

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:37
You have to also take into account that apart from `nit pickers' there is the different use of language. Some of us just talk in a different manner and it can be often read, not how it is meant.
Unfortunately crossing the `T's' and dotting the `I' sometimes is necessary, as it could mean the difference betweens something working, or something not. I guess it is all about the nature of the delivery?
I myself have been targeted because of my use of language. But I speak how we speak in London, and sometimes things have different meanings. It doesn't help!!!
By the way Steve.............how's Man U???? LOL. You've gone very quiet on that line... :)
FollowupID: 806650

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:50

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:50
who's "manu"? a Spanish waiter? or d'you mean the Champs? Paying for ailing American shopping centres right now.

Keep polishing your "top in January trophy" ;))

FollowupID: 806653

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:39
Hi Steve

We have crossed swords once or twice but with this one I must agree. Now THAT was hard to say. (see the smile on my face mate) I believe that the written word is almost an entirely different language with punctuation, grammar and structure all being part of the meaning. Leave one part out and the meaning can easily be off on a tangent. And even if proof read by the OP, this tangent can be missed. And others start answering along the wrong path. WWIII erupts.

What about a question that I answered once. The OP asked if he could drive to Cape York. Because he used the word "could", there are two interprertaions of that question. Is it legally allowed or is it plausable for him personally. Typical "can" and "may" issue. I don't remember which side I started with but most of the knockers didn't read all of my post and I copped a hammering.

You mentioned the "delivery". Very true mate. This is because the written word and the spoken word have to be different. When one says "Bugger off" there may, or may not be, a smile, or scowl, on the speakers face. But when written you can't see the smile so you could be offended. ie the deliver has to change. Face to face it is a different kettle where one can change tact half way through a sentence when the audience are seriously shaking their heads, looks bored or not interested etc.

And, a good point about customs, as you mentioned. Agggghhhh Which came first - the pot or the middy???

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 806697

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:44
looks a friendly enough wave at O'Hagen's and that'll do me mate ;)
FollowupID: 806734

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 08:44
A bit more friendlier than cartoons and abbreviations. Still happily a bit more "old school" here.

Phil
FollowupID: 806772

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 07:58

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 07:58
Phil,
Have you solved your potato problem?
FollowupID: 806818

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 08:45

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 08:45
Yes. Cut up and frozen. Handy having that freezer in the car.

Phil
FollowupID: 806820

Reply By: Skulldug - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:55

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 18:55
Slow One,

Its hard to give advice when you haven't even told us what sort of vehicle you are driving, where, when and towing what!

You should have done a search before posting.

:)

BTW, fully agree with you. Also note, some of the worst offenders have replied.

Skull
AnswerID: 524817

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:28

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:28
I haven't bothered to read all the replies, but if you have a problem with a particular thread, you have the option of alerting the Moderators with your concern.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 524819

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:59

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 19:59
Sand Man,

I guess I haven't been bothered.

Skull
FollowupID: 806662

Reply By: wizzer73 - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:34

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 20:34
cmon slow one, where would the fun be if every post had one reply with the answer? You have a choice to read the replies or ignore them.

wizzer
AnswerID: 524822

Follow Up By: Razerback - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:45

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:45
Agreed completely
FollowupID: 806681

Reply By: Razerback - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:44

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:44
I find this site one of the more strictly maintained forums around and it has paid dividends. On a positive note I find the site very helpful. Whilst I understand where Slow One is coming from one must make the most of a "Public Forum" where opinions rule. 9 times out of 10 I can gain my answers from the confusion, perhaps I'm lucky. Sometimes the answers are not straight forward and this creates confusion. Also remember that often a handful of people are the ones trying to provide direct answers, it is not your forum right to get a direct answer all the time, that's not my opinion, simply the reality of dealing with a public forum.
AnswerID: 524827

Reply By: Nutta - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:55

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 22:55
A ripper I found on here a while back while searching google was when looking for an answer for running the 3 way in the van off the inverter.

It was a total bleep fight with arguments of yes its safe and no you'll die!

I'm still trying to find an answer!!
AnswerID: 524829

Follow Up By: bibtracker - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 01:47

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 01:47
Ah, just try posting a query about an extension lead with a 10amp plug on one end and 15amp plug on the other. Then you'll get a REAL fight!
FollowupID: 806692

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:41

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:41
"Ah, just try posting a query about an extension lead with a 10amp plug on one end and 15amp plug on the other. Then you'll get a REAL fight!"

Amen to that .... * ducks head *
FollowupID: 806704

Reply By: Penchy - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:12

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:12
I have eluded to tell an OP they have been lazy in the past. People that ask simple questions that answers, or leads can be found easily by doing a search of the site or using google. I quickly get branded a troll for trying to get people to use their melon and figure things out for themselves than to waste other users time.
I also believe the OP is the one that controls the thread. If it is spearing off in another direction by 2 old blokes trying to prove they know more about rocks than the other bloke, then the OP should be the one to correct them.
AnswerID: 524834

Reply By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:02

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:02
Well I'm probably one of the prime candidates referred to.

I have had recent run inns with some of the forums technical gurus, if I question the advice they have given I get the go and do some research its all be done to death.

Yes it has but it has been done to death by the same gurus spreading the same wrong information in some cases for many years as it either suits their purpose or the have their opinion and that's the only one that is allowed, even if you provide hard data they just keep their head in the sand and refuse to accept it.

In a recent, altercations, I was again accused of using the forum for profit when I was just asking that members pushing opinions, supply some data to support their case instead of the you usual "know to well why, it's all been covered before, its been done to death already". Yes it has by the same people spreading the same incorrect information.

One of the forums techo police informed me I should contact a suppliers tech experts and he would set me straight. The forum police should have checked with his reserves before calling them into the battle as they shot him in the back and totally agreed with me. Needless to say the techo policeman hasn't commented since but I have no doubt I will be involved in the same debate again in the future with the same policeman expert so will keep the manufactures response for future reference.

Asking doesn't hurt, a lot of times members don't know what to ask, or what to search for, and yes sometimes they are just lazy, but then you don't have to answer.

One thing I have noticed on this forum which is sad, is the a lot of time the members with the most to give are usually the members how respond with the abrupt, rude and sometimes down right nasty replies especially if you disagree with their beliefs. I have resorted to doing the same to them, it seems it is ok for them to attack members but when you return in kind they respond with "please don't personnel attack me"

Excluding the above I have found most of the members on this site to be very friendly and go out of their way to help other members out, may this continue and hope will stumble across and few of you out there on the tracks one day and get to say hello.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524842

Follow Up By: Member - LeighW - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:20

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:20
One thing I didn't cover is there are a lot of people out there that are house bound for various reasons and spend many hours pursing these sites to keep occupied. A lot of these people enjoy answering questions and helping out, ie doing research for others that they could do them self as it keeps then occupied.

Therefore as already covered, you don't have to answer, yes it may fill up the forum with duplicate info but if it does worry admin it shouldn't worry us. If the administrators wish they can always move it to other areas.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806706

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:56

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:56
Beware of the OWNIDS - Often Wrong, Never In Doubt.
On a number of occasions I have published information directly from manufacturers and stated that it was straight from the manufacturers and have these OWNIDS disagreeing with what I have published.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 524878

Reply By: Nutta - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:13
Yep, check google and get your answer.

Imagine how the poor old gp feels with all the self diagnosee's!!
AnswerID: 524882

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:31
Nutta,
had a person tell me I was doing it all wrong, as he had just done a 3 day course and passed his slewing crane ticket. 1 week later he put a crane on it's nose.

Google and courses make many supermen. I know cause I just got diploma from doggy brothers.

Really though, I was more posting about pedantic replies and leading the OP's original post way off track.

FollowupID: 806743

Follow Up By: Nutta - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:15
No sweat, i was just kinda referring to penchys reply post 16, cheers.
FollowupID: 806764

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:16
Don't forget tyres... OMG
But I use this site to get some background on what questions to ask those who are paid to know (and from my experience have delivered so far).
AnswerID: 524893

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:35
...and no doubt it's where you learnt/were reminded of how to spell tyres correctly :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806755

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:39

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 21:39
oh the panic .. was I tired when I posted tyres? I had to check :)
FollowupID: 806756

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:58

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:58
While a great deal of help can be recieved and given.

It must be understood that this and sites like it are "PUBLIC FORUMS".

Original posts are not questions to be answered and no more, they are discussion starters.

Public forums are not help desks and they are not magazines.

They are also not places where a single opinion can prevail.

OH unless like a couple of other sites the moderators are actually editors that enforce the owners opinion.

There will always be people who post information of varying accuracy, for good or bad there are also those who will seek to correct inacuracies.

Believe me if you think you can post BS unchalenged on a public forum, you are sadly mistaken.

There are a number of matters wheremany of those who work in the industry full time have poor understanding.

There are those who poo poo Google, but as it stands, along with the internet, is one of the best research instruments we have ever had.
The internet and google allow us to access more good informantion faster than we have ever had in the past.

But to make good use you need some understanding of the theory involved, an ability to read and comprehent AND know when someone it telling you carp.

Three things I have noticed urke me.

first
some peoples failure to read and then comprehend even plain simple english.

second
some peoples complete inability to follow a logical and reasonable line of discussion.

Third and above all.
People who are not interested, complaining that this or that line of discussion is going on too long.......if you are bored with the discussion or it frustrates you...don't read and don't post.

OH.
and I must mention those that insist that everything is opinion.....particularly when their opinion is not compatable with documented and proven facts.

cheers
AnswerID: 524902

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:22
very good point .....
Hey what I think would be an awesome tool on this site is for the poster of the original thread to have the ability to delete a comment from another poster, as well of course the admins, it would discourage the "trolls" as they would hit brick walls every time they posted and it disappeared and they would give up eventually ...
AnswerID: 524920

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:49
Sounds a good suggestion to me. I believe the OP should be able to control what responses he doesn't want, especially the ones that go on and on and on or ones that get off track from what he asked for.

Have a great time at Mapoon. Last time I was there was in the 70's with a mate of mine Gibson Hudson. Gibbo could sure fish with a spear.
FollowupID: 806783

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:11

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:11
The idea that the original poster controlls the discussion is totally unworkable.

Firstly it is a PUBLIC FORUM and no poster owns any thread.

Secondly giving the original poster moderation rights would open up the forum to anybody with a single opinion to push.

I have seen a couple of threads opened by moderators on other sites where the original poster has edited the thread to suit their own opinion.

Not very clever and not what internet forums are about.

If you don't like where the thread has gone, don't read and don't post.

For PUBLIC FORUMS to remain interesting and usefull, it requires people who can articulate a well constructed response or argument.

cheers
FollowupID: 806804

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:22
What a bizarre idea, editing out all the responses you dont like. Defeats the purpose of the whole exercise.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806806

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:46

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:46
The OP should be able to ask that others don't use his/her thread to hold a mother's meeting.
FollowupID: 806808

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 23:58
Quick, where is that delete button, I need it now ......
Just kidding hahaha
It is exactly how facebook works and works well but I do agree a "bit" other than the ability to get rid of some of the pathetic "trolls" that venture into areas that don't reflect the content of the original post and the poster is after evenly weighted replies so really if the poster deletes it who can complain, they created the post, not the "readers", it is up to the readers to make what they want of each post, if it gets constantly "trimmed" then they will lose interest from the readers anyway.
And "moderation" rights for a poster is a blunt way to put it but they did put it up as there own opinion so what if they want there own opinion, that is exactly why they posted, is it not, I also have seen "moderators" that have removed some things they personally don't agree with but the poster does, they are only human and not different to the faults of the poster ....
:-)
FollowupID: 806810

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:22

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 10:22
Hi

As the Bantam suggested allowing the OP to edit out responses they don't want to hear would just not work and cause more problems than it would solve. A public forum is way different to facebook (your own personal "forum").

I am not sure what example you are referring to but Moderators moderate using the existing forum rules - some of the rules are a bit subjective in borderline cases but action is generally not taken just based on the personal opinion of one moderator. If a thread is moderated there has to be a valid reason.

Also keep in mind anyone can request their own posts to be edited or removed...and therefore moderators are also allowed to edit or remove their own posts as well.

So as it currently stands - if you see a thread or a post that you think breaches forum rules - report it using the alert mod button. Unfortunately "pedantic" replies are not in breach of forum rules at this point in time. As mentioned you can request to have your own posts edited or removed if you wish, again just use moderator alert button.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806826

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 14:41

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 14:41
If the Moderators moderated to forum rules, this thread & many others would & should be deleted under the "chit chat" rule!

FollowupID: 806841

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:55

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:55
Hi

No, you are incorrect in this instance. The chit chat rule could not be applied to his thread - that rule is reserved for "covert conversations in the Forum that only mean something to a few in the know" or "prolonged to and fro reply exchanges" in forum threads. e.g. half way through a thread on tyres someone starts talking to their mate about the weather, their family, catching up etc.

If you see a breach of forum rules use the alert moderator button. It may or may not get moderated - an explanation for not moderating maybe be given in some cases.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806845

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 19:17

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 19:17
Like the question & answer about potatoes above?

FollowupID: 806863

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:20

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:20
Greg,
For me it is not removing replies I don't want to hear or don't agree with. It is about the ones that get off track and the OP has to put up with the inane responses to them. The moderators can lock the thread but the OP then doesn't get the answers he is looking for.

One of the worst offenders has even replied to this thread. There is nothing wrong with that, as it is an open post and not pinned to a specific answer or close enough reply. (No PJR it is not you and I don't think we have crossed paths.

What it gets down to is some are either googling us to death or showing how big the things are in their pants.

I agree with you this post is not off topic or related to any forum rule.

From my point of view it is about an OP getting a good reply from a someone, who can help them with their DIRECT REQUEST. Sorry about the shouting, it is not aimed at you.

FollowupID: 806877

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:55

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:55
Hello Slow one

Yes understand the intent of the idea (i.e. OP being able to control content of their thread) but still don't think it would work, mainly because not everyone would use the function for the same purpose or in a consistent fashion.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806880

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 22:01
Hello Shaker

The posts you mention represent a potential "Chit Chat" but as it is limited to two replays (at this stage) it's not worth worrying about.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 806881

Reply By: 641 - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:05

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 21:05
Well I think you are all wrong.!!!!

Why,

Just because .

But I have had a laugh anyway.
And let's not mention Toyota /Nissan, Waeco/Engel
and Collingwood !
AnswerID: 525010

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 23:03

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 23:03
The use of the word "pedantic" in its self is interesting.

I regularly get called pedantic, fussy or particular.....both on line and in real life.

BUT attention to detail is how you get things to work and stay out of trouble.

All to often people say..."we tried that & it does not work"....then I show that with attention to detail it works damn fine.

There will always be those who think "near enough is good enough", there are times when it just isn't.....but some people just don't want to hear it.

There are a lot of times where near enough will get you killed or injured.

I am often amused when things are repored in the media as " freak occurances" , all too often they are entirely to be expected occurances....where someone thaught near enough was good enough and statistics caught up and luck ran out.

cheers
AnswerID: 525019

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 13:52
For pedantic responses to the list of: Solar, batteries, 240v power, tyres etc add "Route Choice Details".

See Thread 105973 "Sealed road route Sydney to Darwin" where the battle is currently raging over saving 30 minutes in a 5 day drive!
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 525269

Sponsored Links