Advice for CSR and Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 13:52
ThreadID: 105874 Views:1985 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon everyone,
It's been 20 years since I have been on these tracks so I am planning to go again this year. I guess a few things have changed since then!!!
Firstly, I understand there are at least 2 lots of permits required for the CSR - one lot via the Canning Stock Route website for wells 5-15 and 40-51. The other is via 4WD Australia for wells 16-39. I have heard a permit is required to travel through Billiluna - is that right even if I intend only to traverse (and buy fuel).
I think I understand the permit requirements and closure details for the ABH.
Secondly, can anyone tell me if credit cards are accepted at Billiluna, Kunawaritji Community, and at Ilkurlka Roadhouse?
Any other comments appreciated of course.
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:22

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:22
"Secondly, can anyone tell me if credit cards are accepted at Billiluna, Kunawaritji Community, and at Ilkurlka Roadhouse?" - for Kunawaritji and Ilkurlka (yes*) - however can't say for Billiluna.

* common sense says take necessary cash as well - neither place will guarantee 24 x 7 connectivity for CC payments. Sat comms can be fickle.
AnswerID: 524789

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:30

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 14:30
Hi Keith

Seeing you will be in the neighbour hood, have you thought about a visit to Maralinga?

To be honest the track east from Emu would have to be the worst section of the Anne Beadell Highway and now that access is possible from Maralinga to Emu, I know what way I would rather travel, and the scenery is far superior.

I know thst Ilkurlka prefer credit cards, as the money goes straight into their account and better security than carring lots of cash in that remote location.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524791

Sponsored Links