Falcon FG fuel economy towing caravan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 17:13
ThreadID: 105878 Views:5023 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I normally tow my 2,14 tonne pop top caravan with my GU Patrol cab chassis which rides as rough as guts. It gives about 18 to 20l/100km. I was wondering if anybody has towed a similar weight van with a FG 6 speed auto Falcon and what fuel economy to expect. I have the heavy duty 2,25tonne Ford tow pack but have not as yet fitted a brake controller. As the car came, new, with the tow pack, will it need transmission cooler? Basically I'd like to know if its worth the expense to set it up just to make the travelling more comfortable.
Thanks, Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:05

Monday, Jan 20, 2014 at 23:05
Can't help you with the economy but yes you'll need a trans cooler to help that expensive ZF 6 speed auto keep it's cool towing that sort of load, and moreso to prevent the awful factory transmission cooling circuit from crapping itself and filling your radiator with trans fluid and your autobox with coolant

PWR make an off the shelf complete kit for Fords with the 6 speed auto, did it with my BA and previous AU wagon, will do it for my SZ Territory as well for the same reasons
AnswerID: 524832

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:40

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:40
Have to agree with Road Warrior, IMO you need a trans cooler for towing with the Falcon. It'll save you a lot of heartache down the track.

They are a great car, but they do chew through juice when you hitch anything up to the tow ball!

FollowupID: 806696

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:48

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:48
Hi Geoff

Stick with the Cab Chassis as it will be far more reliable in the end.
Maybe you should look at the spring setup in the rear and replace/change the springs to something different to the Std Patrol springs
Look at King Springs
There is a set on here for sale from a cab chassis. Under Patrol Parts for sale.
Then all you need is to upgrade the shockers

Regards

Geoff in SA
AnswerID: 524908

Follow Up By: Member - geoffqld - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02
I will be keeping the Patrol, only want to use the Falcon for short trips or when I don,t intend leaving the tar. The ute is leaf spring rear and I have had an extra leaf put in. Need the hard springs as I have to tow a tractor to my bush block on a regular basis. Shockies were replaced after we towed the pop top across the Tanami.
Thanks for the reply, Geoff
FollowupID: 806779

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:57

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 09:57
Geoff
Your van is 2140 Kgs ...Full or empty or as the compliance plate says?
The HD tow pack is 2250 kgs

Difference is 110 Kgs. thats not a lot and if you manage to but a couple of cases of beer in the van you will be over the limit and over the limit is NO INSURANCE if you havd an accident.

And the tow capacity will be right on the limit for the poor old Ford.
Regardless of what they say it is right up there.
Remember its a sedan not a tow truck.

And the ball weight on the van will be about 180Kgs and then you load up the boot / rear of the Ford with more stuff and the bum will be on the ground and the car will be working really hard....(and thirsty)

What year is the cab chassis/ 3.0 lit or the good old 4.2??
maybe a chip if its a 3.0 and some exhaust work will make it more economical??

Regards

Geoff in SA
AnswerID: 524909

Follow Up By: Member - geoffqld - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:09

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:09
Max weight of the van loaded is 2140kg. The ute is 4.2tdi. I figure I would not have much water in the van's tanks as I would be going to a caravan park, the car's too good to do any rough stuff. When we go to caravan parks all the gear would be in the van, only 2 adults and a dog in the car. Would still like to know what sort of fuel economy as the ute is pretty heavy and doesn't improve much when unloaded. It is expensive for day trips/running around once we get where we're going.
Thanks for the reply, Geoff
FollowupID: 806780

Sponsored Links