May 2014 Simpson Desert crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:30
ThreadID: 105884 Views:2868 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a Simpson Desert crossing, west to east in mid May, with a single vehicle and were wondering whether anybody from ExplorOz was contemplating a crossing at approximately that time, and whether it would be a possible to combine for a small convoy for the few days of the crossing.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 09:10
You will find that other vehicles will be about, there's usually plenty about Dalhousie getting ready for the crossing.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 524837

Reply By: Roozies - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 19:46
Hi KSK, we are also planning a SD crossing in mid May but will be going the other way. So unfortunately we're no help to you although will be watching your post with keen interest as, similarly, we will also be on our own. My assumption so far is that we may be able to find someone in Birdsville in a similar situation or a group willing to have us tag along (not really interested in paying to go in a tour group although the safety, convenience and experience of a group is probably worth paying for so my arm could be twisted:)). Anyhow, I hope your trip prep is going well and all the best. Roozies.
AnswerID: 524873

Reply By: Rosie M - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 20:36
We have done the SD crossing both directions in the last two years by ourselves. Just make sure you have a sat phone and you can go anywhere. You will see people out there. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 524888

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:02

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2014 at 23:02
for what it's worth I will have a few with me in early June.......sort of loosely planning on being at Mt Dare 4-5-6 June......if you can wait you are welcome to join in. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 524899

Follow Up By: Member -KSK - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 06:34

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 06:34
Thanks Maverick,
At the moment we have our rental vehicle for mid-May. If that gets pushed out I'll post again. Many thanks for your reply. Have a good trip
FollowupID: 806770

Reply By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 17:58

Wednesday, Jan 22, 2014 at 17:58
FYI Sand flags for the Simpson from opening this year

IMPORTANT AND COMPULSORY NEWS FROM DEWNR

A discussion at the Annual Meeting between FWDSA and DEWNR was the requirement for mandatory Simpson Desert vehicle flags.

This will commence with the opening of the Simpson Desert on March 16 2014.
The Director of National Parks and Wildlife John Schutz has already given approval in principle and this is the information going into the new Desert Parks Pass.

It is an initial requirement, and we will monitor how this works and decide if we need to alter it at all.

SAFETY FLAG REQUIREMENT

All vehicles must be fitted with a Safety flag as detailed below when travelling in the Simpson Desert Conservation Park, or Simpson Desert Regional Reserve.

Flag:

Minimum 300mm wide by 290mm high.
Made of Fluorescent materials, Red-Orange or Lime-Yellow in colour.

Motorbikes:

Rear mounted flag pole, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground.

All Other Vehicles:

With Front Bullbar - Flag pole attached to the bullbar, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground.

Without Front Bullbar - Flag pole attached via bracket at the front of the vehicle, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground;

Alternatively
Flag pole attached to the front of the roof rack, with top of the flag a minimum 2 metres from the roof of vehicle.

Regards,

Tony Magor
District Manager Outback
Natural Resources SA Arid Lands
Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources | South Australian Government

Kanga........................
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 524949

Sponsored Links