Upgrading Coromal suspension to Cruisemaster airbag suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 14:47
ThreadID: 105921 Views:4921 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a Coromal 526 Magnum XC 2010 single axil van. Last year we did the Gibb River road with the van only had one issue with the suspension where one of the leaf spring hangers had a crack in the weld. I was able to weld the crack and fix the issue. The only other issues we had inside the van was with cans of drink that had worn through the cans and leaked. We would like to do more off road trips in the van, I have been looking at the Cruisemaster suspension and was looking for any feedback from members if they have either done an upgrade and it was worth the dollars to convert over.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 14:57

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 14:57
I have had Track MC2 & Vista Crossover MS suspension & still had aluminium cans rub through, unless you're prepared to individually wrap or separate each can, you will never prevent it on corrugated roads.
AnswerID: 524985

Reply By: Iza B - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:36

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 15:36
I have a van with Cruisemaster airbags underneath. I have not done too many corrugations yet (van is quite new) but to test, I have left several items on the edge of benches etc and checked their position when we stopped. I got that particular suspension because any sensitive equipment transport is always specified to be done over airbags. I also intend to do lots of outback unsealed roads with the rigs and expect a lot different performance over the simple slipper springs on the campertrailer. Very happy with the results so far. Compression rate varies across the compression range with airbags, different to coils, so be aware of that if you want to do real serious off road.

I believe you can upgrade your suspension by ordering the airbag setup on a subframe then weld the whole thing to the existing van suspension. Make sure you get the facility to pump/deflate each side individually. Very impressive to be seen leveling the van from the front side pocket!

Iza
AnswerID: 524991

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 17:39

Thursday, Jan 23, 2014 at 17:39
For rough roads, we have always wrapped each can of beer in a 2 or 3 layers of newspaper - just simple strips that are a bit too wide - when stuffed back in the carton, the ends get protected by the extra crumpled paper - heck - beer is so precious. As for trailing arm air bag and shocker suspension - can't see you ever regretting that decision - our Trakmaster has the Victorian Air Suspensions version.
AnswerID: 524998

Reply By: Injected - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:27

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 02:27
Not quite the same van wise but I have a 7x 5 full offroad Camper trailer with Vehicle Components Air bag suspension. I wouldn't have it any other way! We have done many trips with the trailer from the Cape through all of NT and SA ant we haven't broken a thing.
One of the best things about it is that you can level your van / trailer to suit the terrain if parked on a sloping area.
Im so impressed with airbag suspension that im looking at purchasing a Kimberley Kamper 2014 model with airbag suspension.
Regards
AnswerID: 525249

Sponsored Links