To Jimb (WA)...Air compressor update

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 14:39
ThreadID: 10593 Views:3648 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Jimbo, You asked to me to keep you informed. Not sure that it's much to report actually, but I got my Check Valve in the mail today and installed it at lunch time. Everything still works the same as before, only now I have some piece of mind that there is no back pressure on the compressor once it's pumped the system up to the 100 psi auto cut off.
I can't remember how much I mentioned before, so at the risk of repeating myself and boring the tits off everybody, here goes......
Hardware I use.....
(1) Max Air (Bushranger) compressor: hardwired into cargo area, sits on top of cargo drawer over left wheel arch, hard up against the side pocket of the Patrol GU.
(2) 3 litre receiver tank: mounted vertically with it's 3 holes pointing downwards, directly above compressor on the Milford Cargo barrier. I have left the standard outlet fitting on the Max Air, but as all my other existing hoses, tools etc used RYCO snap fittings, I have made up an adapter. So now, the snap fitting off the MaxAir's hose has been used (but not the hose). It has a male thread onto which I have attached my new check valve (which has 2 female ends). Into the other end of the check valve I have added a RYCO snap fitting (female outlet).
(3) I have a brass "T" piece. This has the following things attached to it. (a) a male RYCO fitting to attach it to the compressor; (b) the ARB pressure switch for auto cut-off (c) a 1/4" barb for a short length of air hose, which takes air to the bottom of the receiver tank.
(4) Receiver tank has 2 other outlets......(a) one has a brass barb with another piece of hose about 3 feet long which goes to the back of the cargo drawer shelf and has another brass "T" piece.....one sie of the "T" has a safety release valve....the other has another RYCO outlet for attaching air hose to pump tyres, use for blow-down gun etc
(5) 3rd (final) outlet off the receiver tank has a 1/8" hard plastic type hose which uses push-on fittings ("festo" I think they're called). This plastic hose leads forwards along to the front of the truck, terminating on the bullbar with another RYCO outlet for doing the front tyres etc. Along the way (it travels inside the vehicle as far as the passengers footwell firewall), I have installed 3 "T" pieces in this plastic hose. The first of these is in the passenger's footwell, just before the hose goes through the firewall. This "T" leads over to the driver's side, up through the front of the dash near the bottom right corner of the windscreen, and is connected to an air gauge which is mounted on a bracket off the grab handle on the "A" pillar. After going through the firewall and coming up to bonnet level, the other 2 "T" sections are connected close to each other on the original plastic hose. The first of these leads another piece of this plastic hose up the outside of the "A" pillar on the pasenger's side (hidden by the snorkel for the most part), to a set of loud Grand Vitesse air horns mounted on the roof rack. (Note that the air hose is contained inside a suitable length of split electrical tubing which also contains various wires for the air horns solenoid as well as wiring to the reversing/work lights on the back of the roof rack). Meanwhile, back under the bonnet the other "T" piece leads across the front of the firewall to the ARB air locker solenoid.
(6) Power for the compressor is provided via a 40 amp relay (those double type with 6 screw fittings. It is hard wired. The other side of the relay is used to power the ARB fridge; also hard wired. There is a switch located near the front passenger's seat belt buckle (there were 3 plastic switch blanks there) which I can use to activate the compressor.
Hope this assists with your plans Jimbo.....let me know if you need any more info.
Cheers,
Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:56

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:56
G'day Roachie
Thanks very much for that mate - very informative reading. Like others - I'm about to embark on the adventure of installing an air system so your email has been most helpful.

Cheers
Dave
AnswerID: 47067

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:03

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:03
In case anyone wants the tech specs for my setup, I've got a Blue Tongue III under the drivers seat, 2 wires, 1 switch, 1 fuse and finally one hose for pumping up the tyres!
AnswerID: 47085

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:40

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:40
Nice and simple the same as mine, except my ARB comp.is under the rear seat.
FollowupID: 309050

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:44

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:44
D-Jack & Alan,
That's how mine started off too. But I decided to do something about the crappy Nissan horn; then I fitted the Air Locker; and as the air horn kit I bought came with a tank and gauge, I decided to fit front and rear outlets to make it easier to connect the hose when doing tyre inflations. The gauge wasn't much use to me hanging upside down off the tank in the cargo area, so I moved it so I could see.
Sounds more complex than it really is....just my way of dribbling on so that others who may also have time on their hands can consider doing the same thing....
Each to his own.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 309142

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:05

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 18:05
Roachie,

Have not read all your report,but noticed you are running a plastic hose on the A pillar.I have cables running up to the roof rack, but I ran them up inside the snorkel, then onto the cutter and then on the roof rack. Keeps it neat.

Wayne
AnswerID: 47086

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:49

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:49
Wayne,
Thanks for that; mine is just about invisible inside the split tubing which is tucked in between the snorkel and "A" pillar.
Looking at the photo of your rig, I reckon I met you at one of Vic's training courses at Braidwood (he did a special one for owners of Ultimate campers back around '99).
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 309143

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:32

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:32
Roachie,

I've been away working for the week, so apologies for the late response.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not ready to do my compressor wiring or set-up yet so I have cut-and-pasted your reply and kept it for reference down the track.

What you have done sounds as though (with a few mods) it will suit me to a "T" - as I'm also looking at a Max-Air, a tank, and an ARB locker.

Thanks again for your time in answering.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
AnswerID: 47489

Sponsored Links