How to get it to stick.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 17:47
ThreadID: 105937 Views:2231 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I have a problem getting my battery monitor to stick on the dash. It's one of those ones that has double sided tape to stick it to the dash. Problem been once temp gets up in the cab the tape falls off, have tried every thing but to advantage, any ideas , what do u guys use.
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lakers - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 19:36

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 19:36
Hi Petza, try genuine 3m double sided tape... the sort used for external automotive fittings. I use this for GPS (on dash) and dash cam (on glass) and have not had any lack of adhesion probs so far. You can get this stuff on ebay, in various widths.
Cheers
Greg
AnswerID: 525070

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 19:50

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 19:50
If the vehicle has been detailed & had the dash sprayed with silicone based product, nothing will stick, ever!

FollowupID: 806932

Reply By: veight - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 20:19

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 20:19
After going on the GRR my Battery monitor fell off the dash multiple times - My solution was to use a little amount of clear silicone & stick it to the dash. I had to take it out of the car when i sold it so i just twisted it off & cleaned the remaining silicone off.
Matthew
AnswerID: 525071

Follow Up By: Member - petza - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 20:56

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 20:56
Yer that might be the go, good thinking, I'll give that one ago tomorrow why I wait for the tape to come from e bay.
Cheers Matthew.
FollowupID: 806933

Follow Up By: K&FT - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 22:24

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 22:24
I have found a combination of the two works well.

I use two strips of tape with a bead of silicone between them.

The tape holds everything in place until the silicone sets and is easy enough to get off if I need to.

frank
FollowupID: 806937

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 19:37

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 19:37
Make sure the silicone is neutral cure.
Anything else can eat away at what its stuck to.

I use it on glass and nothing falls off.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 806977

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 23:13

Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 23:13
The first thing with all double sided type tapes is that the surface must be clean, and that means some sort of solvent wipe.....there lies a problem a solvent that will not damage the surface, is agressive enough and evaporates cleanly.

It will vary from plastic to plastic, but white spirit is a fairly safe bet.

second is adhesive compatability.....different adhesives have better performance on different substrates......differening plastics can be an issue.

most of the commonly available retail double sided tapes are pretty pedestrian in their performance all round....regardless of brand.

I had an issue tyring to get some LED strips to stick to my fibreglass canopy.....I went thru 4 different types of double sided tape till I got one that was compatable.

If you go to a auto refinish supplier, they will have auto trim tape...this is used to refix protector strips and the like.

There will be a type with typically a green backing, this will be either acrilic or butal rubber adhesive...don't bother.
What you are looking for is the stuff with typically red backing and is a Cyanoacrillate adhesive..(yess it is related to suerglue).

This will be called something like high bond strength tape.....in Scotch it is called VHB ( very high bond strenght tape0.

This is good stuff & is compatable with a variety of non pourous substrates, fabulous on glass ( it is what comes on toll transponder mountings)....but it aint flash on bare timber or paper.

This is realy good stuff....make sure you clean both surfaces and you do not touch the sticky face.

cheers
AnswerID: 525073

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:29

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:29
Silicon should work for you, much better than any double sided tape.

I have used it to fasten the bracket holding the remote head of my transceiver to the centre console.
Hasn't budged in the four years I have owned the vehicle.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525080

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 20:14

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 20:14
Sticky backed Velcro is what I use - the sticky side is very good.
I use metho as a solvent to prepare the surfaces.
AnswerID: 525120

Reply By: Penchy - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:22

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:22
self tapping screws work well also. I've been on all sorts of bumpy roads and it hasn't wiggled even a little bit.
AnswerID: 525259

Sponsored Links