awnings

Submitted: Friday, Jan 24, 2014 at 20:36
ThreadID: 105940 Views:1944 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Nearly bought a domestic catalina awning from gumtree..there are just so many to choose from, I am confused. Do I buy a rv type of bag awning or a caravan type cylinder awning for our Kombi bay 75 camper . We free camp on stay only 24 hrs in most spots, not hard to put up awnings please, all ideas welcome I see black widow have lots of dealers their awnings look good but do they leak near the van, as the sliding door is sometimes open in the rain, fiamma have a rain guard product, anyone go that fitted? weighed down by choice..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter G20 - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 15:32

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 15:32
HI
I recently went through the same exercise as you, as we are soon off on an 8 month trip around Oz.

A side awning makes a lot of sense for shade and shelter.

I finally settled on a Supa Peg side awning deluxe model.

The company are great to deal with and I received the awning within 4 days of ordering it from QLD.

You can tell when you set it up the first time that it is a high quality long enduring product.

Its clever construction oozes confidence when possibly confronted with adverse conditions!

Its more expensive than most but I believe it will last a life time!!!
AnswerID: 525103

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 19:46

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 19:46
I'll second Peter's review of the SupaPegs.

Bought a deluxe for the side of my canopy, been absolutely delighted with it. Build quality is excellent, very easy to set up, and built by a local company who are great to deal with and back their product.

More pricey than the cheap ebay ones, but you'll understand why when you get one.

Two of my regular travelling companions having seen mine, and went and bought one - both say they haven't regretted it for a minute.
FollowupID: 806981

Reply By: Kombi Dogz - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 18:55

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 18:55
Thanks for that I have been looking at supapeg or black widow, today and I am with you on the thinking that I will pay more for quality so it lasts longer. I found great reviews for both companies.
happy travels
AnswerID: 525115

Follow Up By: Member - Peter G20 - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 20:59

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 20:59
I spokreto Black Widow but they were closed for 2-3 weeks over the Christmas break and couldn't build one for me in time.
Either way you cant go wrong
FollowupID: 806986

Reply By: Kombi Dogz - Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 15:58

Sunday, Jan 26, 2014 at 15:58
I have thought about going to the black widow factory in New Gisborne to see if they can fit to my 1974 Vw kombi camper…I only have the front luggage rack…thanks for letting me know they are closed. With the old sopru pop top there is not much space for awnings. On the Kombi Club forum some have fitted, different brand, bag awnings to the side of the top by adding nialyte(?) rubber strip to help with vibration on the fibreglass.
Or other solution is getting a back roof rack for fitting the awning. I was looking at the add on tents etc I think maybe, fixing to the pop top may make it difficult to add a mozzie/midgie tent for longer stays and my Ds(dear son) is allergic to mozzie/midgies and reacts with big swollen areas. I made midgie wire screens for all the openings on our Kombie.
I think I am answering my own questions... thanks for everyones help..
AnswerID: 525166

Sponsored Links