trip to lawn hill

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 17:26
ThreadID: 10596 Views:1578 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are still deciding on which way to travel from mareeba to charters towers via lawn hill.
We want to see all the places of interest on & off the beaten track.
We would appreciate approx time to travel this area I know you can't be all that specific but it would help us As some of us have 2 weeks & the rest of us have 3 weeks.
Is it worth taking our own boat or can you just fish off the banks of the rivers?
We have a 14 foot boat but we could take a 12 foot dingy
Any information will help very much
Boshy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fatboy - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:45

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:45
Hi Boshy , two weeks will be a squeeze for time , I would recomend coing down from mareeba through to hughenden to see porcupine gorge (this is a must see when travelling this area) then come through to cloncurry and turn north to threeways then west to gregory (worth a night to camp here ) this would be two days drive at a fair pace. tehn gregory to lawn hill is not far I would recomend staying at adels grove which is just down the road from lawn hill as the facilities are better ( hot showers etc) and none of the stiff national parks rules . As for your boat it is not really anescessity unless you plan to fish the bigger rivers around normanton or burketown although lake moondarra and lake julius here at Mount Isa have some awsome barra and sooty grunter action. Lawn hill and adels grove are a less than one day drive from mt Isa but teh road can be a bit ordinary at times .
Hope this helps some
fatboy
AnswerID: 47129

Reply By: boshy - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:39

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:39
Thanks Fatboy

that will help me decide on a route & of course not he take a boat.
we were heading up the cape but the alcahol restrictions put a stop to that as a couple in our group drink only rum & of course no spirits at all are allowed. so hopefully we'll go back to the top we last went in 95 & that was the best trip.
Thanks again
Boshy
AnswerID: 47286

Sponsored Links