Chip and Snorkel for 2007 BT-50 Automatic diesel dual cab

Submitted: Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 21:31
ThreadID: 105978 Views:2817 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a 2007 BT50 4wd Automatic towing a 2300kg caravan. I am looking at fitting a snorkel and chip to the vehicle. I have read mixed stories about the chip some saying they are no good for the engine and others saying they are the way to go. The snorkel seems to be a great idea all round so far. Just wanting to get your thoughts Thanks Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 22:16
G'day Mick
Unless, you are going through water crossings and/or driving in dust clouds you won't really need a snorkel. Lots of controversy on that though.
If your airfilter is good then it will breathe OK as it has a turbo to get the air in the cylinders..
I hope you have an auto trans cooler fitted to handle the extra heat developed in the fluid because of the torque converter slip action while towing a big load on hot days.
Search through here and there is plenty on that subject. Basically a torque converter is a big hydraulic pump and creates heat as it throws the fluid around to drive the transmission. Plumbed correctly it will lessen the heat load delivered to the already hard working near to overheat point of the engine cooling system/bottom of rad.

Trans outline> cooler> rad bottom> return to trans. Any other way delivers THAT HEAT to the radiator unnecessarily.

Any chip creates more duty cycle or higher pressures in the fuel system and can/do give more power and sometimes a bit more economy too.
I'm not a fan of them as they must shorten (to some extent) the life of the fuel system compared to what is the possible life. The advantages for towing can outweigh the disadvantages, depending on your viewpoint.
I would fit a larger dia exhaust before fitting a chip because to get the effect out of the chip it will most likely benefit from the increased breathing ability of the larger system.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 525235

Reply By: Mick1234 - Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 22:30

Monday, Jan 27, 2014 at 22:30
Thanks Ross that is a great help. I just said to the misses this afternoon while driving home I would like to look into getting the cooler fitted to the Auto Transmission. I will go and see someone this week about that. The snorkel point you give is interesting and I'll hold off on that for a while. We don't do alot of off road at the moment anyway. Thanks again Ross
AnswerID: 525238

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 22:04
Mick
What Ross said about opening up the exhaust does make a difference. On my previous ute a Mazda bravo 2.5 turbo 4wd I fitted a 2.5 inch exhaust and straight through muffler and there was quite more noticable power with my camper on. I now have 3 lt Ford Ranger 4wd and have replace the muffler with a straight through one with standard exhust and have noticed the differance also Replaced muffler only due to baffles coming loose so from previous experience went with staight through muffler.

Murray
PS I think that I have read somewhere that bt50's don't like 3'' exhausts to big
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525300

Sponsored Links