Point Plomer Update

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 28, 2014 at 22:59
ThreadID: 105994 Views:1903 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Just a quick update to let those that are interested that both the roads to Point Plomer (Plomer Rd from Port Macquarie end and from Crescent Head end) are open and in reasonable nick although two-wheel drives not recommended to come in from Port Mac end due to clearance issues.
The place is still magnificent and with the school hols over the main camp ground has emptied out.
Well worth the trip to this little piece of paradise and there would not be many better places to spend this years Australia Day!
Happy Days!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Penchy - Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:06

Wednesday, Jan 29, 2014 at 09:06
When were they closed, and why?
AnswerID: 525310

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 09:21

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 09:21
Not sure that they were closed.
I am a local, more or less, and I have not heard of any closures of these roads recently.

Mind you they can get pretty rough at times but the trip is worth it when you get there. The road from the Port Macquarie end gets pretty crook and the track was narrow the last time I was down there, several years ago, way to narrow for a caravan.

Plenty of locals use Point Plomer with their caravans for holidays but enter from the Crescent Head end.

There are several camping areas all along the run down from Crescent Head, mainly National Parks. Point Plomer is a conventional caravan park
and there is one other commercial caravan park along the way.

Certainly worth a look if you're in the area.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807324

Follow Up By: Penchy - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 17:31

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 17:31
Thanks Bruce. I have ben through there, and yes the place is nice. I'm starting to wonder if the OP is more of an advertisement for the area than a friendly heads up on track conditions - given that a local does not know of them being closed?
FollowupID: 807362

Follow Up By: Penchy - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 17:31

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 17:31
Especially as it was posted after Aust. Day lol.
FollowupID: 807363

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 18:38

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 18:38
I thought the reference to Australia Day a little strange also.

Still the OP is correct, all the crowds would have gone by now and there would be plenty of room there now especially for us "Grey Nomads" looking for a quiet spot to spend a month or so.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807366

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 21:14

Thursday, Jan 30, 2014 at 21:14
we were there in November and the track to Port was not suitable for a caravan due to the rain the previous week....the holes were all full of water and some were well over 1/2 the way up the wheels..
Top spot though...especially out of holiday time....except for the normal nat parks rip off prices..
Pity Limeburners is only open when it suits nat parks...another nice spot nearby...
FollowupID: 807373

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 14:07

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 14:07
Hi Gronk,
That track to Port is just that, a track. It is barely suitable for 4WDs. unless you like bush pin striping.

Never been down it from Plomer but I did start to come up it once in the Cruiser from the Port end and gave that idea away PDQ as the tree branches and bushes were overhanging the road and it looked as though it had not been used for some time. But that was a few years ago. I'd say little has changed since then from your description.

The track down from Crescent Head is the best way in even though it can be bit rough at times but it is always passable. I would take my van down it albeit slowly if it was very rough.

As you say Gronk, beautiful part of the world anyway. Certainly worth a look.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807411

Sponsored Links