Strzelecki Track

Hi All, First post here so be nice. I am looking at doing the Strzelecki and the Birdsville track later this year and was wondering if anyone can tell me how many road trains am I likely to encounter on the Strzelecki Track heading to and from Moomba Gas fields?. I know the track is now regularly graded highway. I guess I am concerned that they may be an issue. BTW I did a search and found a fair bit of stuff on the Strzelecki but not what I am looking for.
Cheers, Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 16:50

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 16:50
I'm sure you will come across quite a few.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525516

Reply By: wombat100 - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 17:38

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 17:38
Why not go the 'old' Strzelecki Track ??
AnswerID: 525518

Follow Up By: Jenko - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:07

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:07
Hi wombat100,
I would certainly consider the Old Strzelecki Track... is it in your opinion or others suitable for an 3.3t off road van?

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 807436

Follow Up By: Member - johnny woofl - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 23:46

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 23:46
Hi Jenko,
We did the Old Strzelecki Track in March 2013 after rain, found it slow towing a 3.5 ton Millard Pinnicle and loved it ,much more interesting than the bit of the 'new' road.
After Innaminka we saw Cordilla downs and continued on to Birdsville. Loved it again once again after rain and slow--105 k's took 5 hours , would love to have camped on a couple of waterholes.
Just take it steady and you will be O.K.
FollowupID: 807454

Reply By: RobAck - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:12

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:12
Not sure what you think a road train may look like but you have a higher chance of triples and they move day and night. There are regular weekly services to and from Moomba but also as there is a significant amount of drilling going on across the Cooper Basin heavy vehicle activity occurs past Innamincka to Cordillo Downs so you can expect traffic all the way through and normally travelling very slowly given their size and over dimensional shape

A regularly graded highway? I think not. The track is always variable, prone to very large bull dust pot holes amongst other challenges. The track to Cameron Corner is a well graded dirt road and the Strez is not close. The Della Highway section out of Innamincka is normally pretty good though. So do not become overconfident it will be an 80 kph cruise because it won't. Weather adds all the extra challenges you will need. You need to monitor the outback roads report for a week prior to travel so you know its actually open

Rob
AnswerID: 525520

Follow Up By: Dion - Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 09:47

Saturday, Feb 01, 2014 at 09:47
You should not find triple trailer Road Trains on either the Strez or Birdsville Tracks as neither are approved routes for 53.5m HML. These tracks are only approved for 36.5m HML as per the DPTI web page current as of today.
FollowupID: 807462

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:17

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:17
Have been up and down the Strzelecki Track twice and never encountered on yet.

If you see one approaching you, simply pull over and stop if necessary and allow the road train to pass you by, then there is no issue at all. No need to get stressed out when one is on a holiday trip.

I don't want to alarm or excite you in any way, but you would be more likely to have a vehicle towing a camper or van, zooming up behind you and passing at some ridiculous speed.

Although not all traveller's follow the courtesy rule, the correct thing to do when passing a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction on a dirt or gravel road, is to both take the foot off the go pedal and pass each other at a reduced speed. This limits the chance of a stone being flung up into the approaching vehicle's windscreen.

Also, if you are towing anything, ensure you have rear window protection.
The Birdsville Track "bit me on the bum" once when a stone smaller than a pea, bounced off the trailer's stone guard and shattered the rear window glass in the Jack I used to drive. The stone was still imbedded in the glass.
Protection can be anything from an opened out beer carton, duct taped to the outside of the window, to more sophisticated solutions such as a set of Rock Tamers, or my personal favourite, a Stone Stomper.

If you are not towing, all is good. Just lower the tyre pressures a little (even if towing) and enjoy the trip.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525521

Follow Up By: Jenko - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:30

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 18:30
Thanks to everyone for their reply's, some good advice there.
Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 807440

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 21:03

Friday, Jan 31, 2014 at 21:03
Video clip.
South of Moomba.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 525533

Sponsored Links