Air Lockers for Triton

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:23
ThreadID: 10604 Views:5332 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking at fitting an air locker to the front of a 2000 Triton, the rear maybe depending on others advice.
Looking for serious feedback, not a sales pitch.

Stu.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:28

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:28
if you have a limited slip diff on the rear then put it on the front . at least that way you will have almost a 4x4 , if you fit it on the rear first them you just give your self a non slip diff and same performance as before , I think this is the best option . If you drove a Cruiser like myself I would say wack it in the rear , so at least you have some forward motion , since the rear lsd in a cruiser dosnt work at all Venus Bay
AnswerID: 47123

Follow Up By: da_wart - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 22:00
The Triton has an LSD rear,thats why I deciced to try a locker in the front first and see how she goes.
I cart 1.2 tonne of gear on a Cruiser T/T every day for work,(uprated rear), can bog it - cant break it.

Stu.
FollowupID: 309088

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:30

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 21:30
A front locker has been the difference between being winched over a certain sand dune and also some very undulating uphill tracks in the Flinders....... for me anyway..
I always use it now when in sand dune country because the vehicle works so much easier and not too many 2nd bites needed at those dunes nowadays....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:40

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 23:40
da_wart,
Sorry my opinion differs (did you like that), I prefer the locker in the rear, I had both in my GQ and I have one in the back of my Rangie, I found the steering to be the issue (sand work), yes it would get me out of one problem but then I proceeded into another one. The steering became really hard work especially in sand, if you are just planning on doing rock hopping front is the way to go, but sand work becomes "tricky". Again this is my opinion, I rarely used the front locker in the sand. Once you've had lockers you'll wonder how you survived without them. You also tend to have a go at things you wouldn't normally have a shot and this can lead to more problems. Enjoy which ever way you go. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 47149

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:17

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:17
Martyn,
I am with you, a diff lock in the back makes more sense to me. Going up a hill most of the weight on the back wheels. Going down hill, engaging the rear locker will stop the vehicle running away in rough or rocky terrain. LSD and a rear locker chalk and cheese. I would have a rear locker any day.

Wayne Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 309117

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:56

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:56
I don't think Front ones are available for Triton's.

Other the a Detriot specially built one for a Pajero , there isn't anything else at present. ARB are building one at the moment. I would think tritons are the same.

Can get rear air lockers though according to the ARB Book.
AnswerID: 47168

Follow Up By: da_wart - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 01:05

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 01:05
ARB now offers a front for IFS Mitsubishi's
FollowupID: 309495

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:59

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 08:59
My local offroad shop reckon that if you only want to fit one locker put it in the rear if its mainly for sand work.
If you offroad in hilly areas then fit it to the front.The theory being that on hillclimbs a front wheel is the most likely to leave the ground.Having a locker in the front guarantees you always have drive from the front.
The shop also added that it didnt make a geat deal of difference.
AnswerID: 47169

Reply By: Murfa - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:08

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 22:08
Hey there,
I have a November 2002 challenger, very similar to the triton. I have had the Arb air lock fitted to the rear, works an absolute treat, much better then the LSD witch came factory fitted. I Know they fit the same one to the triton so they do make a rear airlocker. If you are only going to fit one, try it in the rear, if you like it enough, then look at one for the front. a mate has a locker in the front of his patrol, the steering even with power steering is terrible with the locker engagged. If your going to fit one to the front, wait till an auto locker is available, much better for the front. Anyway I would recommend putting one in the rear, if that doesn't get you out of 98% of trouble, you shouldn't have been there in the first place.
AnswerID: 47381

Reply By: da_wart - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:13

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 01:13
Thanks for the advice guys, all I have to do now is convince the other driver.
AnswerID: 47560

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)