Best place to stay at Kings Canyon

Hi folks, I've just been reading some old posts, which have differing opinions as to whether it is best to stay at Kings Creek Station, or Kings Canyon Resort! Wondering if anyone has been there more recently and can give an updated report! We'll only be there for 2 nights, arriving from Alice Springs, doing the rim walk then heading off to Uluru. Thanks !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Litlbalt - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:32

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:32
Also went to Kings Canyon on our trip we stayed at the resort as it was closer to the canyon itself. We went to the pub there they put on a great dinner and entertainment was a classic kept the kids entertained highly recommend it.

Will head to your coober pedy question to see if I can help out too.
AnswerID: 525632

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:47

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:47
I agree that the resprt van park is a good choice.
You can get an unpowered site if preferred.
For my money, I would spend more time at the canyon and much, much less at Uluru.
FollowupID: 807579

Reply By: Ian and Pen - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:57

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 14:57
2 nights at the KC Resort, 2 at Uluru resort = Perfect
We didn't do the KC Rim but the canyon walk itself was fabulous
Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid than to open it and remove all doubt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525634

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 21:38

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 21:38
Last year, we did the Kings Canyon/Uluru "thing".
The Resort was almost empty, but the sites were all filled aeemingly by design, from the central area outwards. AND there were a heap of school buses there, all in and around the central area.
Would have been SOOO much easier to have allocated van sites closer to the outer edges (and there were plenty of facilities further out!) rather than all clustered around the bus/kids tent sites. The kids were noisy, but the most difficult thing was that the bus parked no more than 10 metres from our van was planning a 5am departure so the kids could "do" the rim walk. Try to keep a coachload of kids quiet at that time of day? Did OK, but still woke us far earlier than we wanted!
Trouble at the Uluru campground was that a coach of kids (not the same ones as at KC) contracted gastric, so one (of 2) facilities units was closed to the public. That caused a bit of a hiccup! They need to get more facilities blocks built for use by vans, for mine!
FollowupID: 807613

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:44

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:44
The Creek has the bus camps in a different area to the other campers. They also have their kitchen shelters with the bus camps.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807641

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 15:58

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 15:58
Silverroo
It's been four or five years since we were there last
Comes down to, do you want a "vanilla" resort experience (then stay at the well run resort) or do you want to stay somewhere which is owned and developed by locals who will take the time to explain some of the local and indigenous history and culture.
If you want the latter, stay at the station.

I went through the same dilemma when trying to work out where to stay, I don't think any of the old posts then or since criticise either place.
The resort will probably mean 60km less driving, the Station had some grassy sites and more space but potentially noisy helicopter joy flights, which depends on how busy they are.

Our kids enjoyed their time at Kings Canyon more than Uluru

AnswerID: 525641

Follow Up By: Member - There Yet - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 16:07

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 16:07
I second the Station. Stayed there 2012 and really enjoyed the atmosphere of an outback station. Travelled to KC and did the rim walk.
A truly magnificent place.

FollowupID: 807584

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:06

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:06
"The resort will probably mean 60km less driving,"

If you don't go any near the the resort it is 12 km less driving. You have to come back 6 km from the Resort to the turn off.

If you stay at the Creek you will have 39 km less van towing. You only need one day at the canyon. If you want a second full day in the area there is another feature half way between the Creek and the gorge.

Map showing turn off points.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807646

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 23:55

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 23:55
While the resort is closer and we liked it there, you still have to drive some way anyhow. The resort profits go to a multi national corporation, whereas the station profits go the the charity set up by the family, Conways Kids.

The Rim Walk was the best walk in Central Australia; start early in the day because it is quite a climb. Book in for two nights to relax rather than racing of after the big walk.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 525671

Reply By: WBS - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:14

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:14
We stayed at the resort and enjoyed it. It had everything we needed.

We walked up the canyon on the afternoon we arrived then did the rim walk the following day. Apart from the first part , the climb up, the rest of the rim the walk was easy. Don't be daunted by that, we climbed up relatively easily but slowly. It was very cold and wet that day so there were waterfalls plunging off the rim. It was a sight to behold and I suppose we were lucky to see it like that as it doesn't rain all that much out there. We had to wade across Kings Creek in knee high water at the end to get back to the car. A wonderful walk that I highly recommend.
WBS
AnswerID: 525678

Reply By: Racey - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:39

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:39
Make sure you fill up your fuel tanks at Erldunda before heading West. June last year Diesel at KC was $2-35, Uluru $2-11; Curtain Spring was about the same.

Enjoy your trip. Do the Canyon walk and take the chopper ride.

Cheers
AnswerID: 525679

Reply By: uncle arthur - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 14:23

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 14:23
We stayed at the Station. Fabulous, good facilities, they even looked after our dog for the day whilst we did the rim walk. The dog had a good time playing with his mate and we were not stressed knowing he was safe. Would support the station again without a doubt.
AnswerID: 526047

Sponsored Links