Tyre Pressure Monitor

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 20:59
ThreadID: 106061 Views:5386 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I know this thread has been covered well but just need feedback on the ABR TMPS in particular MV 22.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 22:22

Sunday, Feb 02, 2014 at 22:22
Of all the people I know who have tried external TPMS's none have been happy with them. They don't give accurate tyre temps which is very important in indicating potential problems IMHO. Good internal ones last and are very good insurance for protecting your rig and possibly you life.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525669

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:24

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:24
Meet your first happy user.

I have had external TMPS' for over 5 years, first the S&T brand then one the same as sidewinder. My experience and observation is as follows.

While I am sure the temperature on the internal units is more accurate, the absolute temperature is not as important as the pressure or a rapid temperature change. Driving North or south you will see 5 - 10 degrees different in tyre temps anyway depending on where the sun is. After a while I find I only glance at the TMPS every 30 mins or so, as it beeps when a rapid change or alarm state occurs. I can't think of any reason a tyre would be a little warm ( enough to make a difference for an external unit) other than under inflation and you will get an alarm much sooner based on that.

I only changed because my first unit had non changeable batteries and I though it was a bit rough that 8 new sensors was $640 just because they had flat batteries after 3 years ( verses a claimed 7 on the brochure). I think internals suffer from the same cost problem. A set of new CR1632's is about $12.

Also I have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, it isn't possible to accommodate that in internal units to my knowledge without going broke. Also I never found one that accommodates trailers.

The MV-22 is great for towing. you can enable and disable the trailer display and with the push buttons. It is easy to set for different pressures for say highway, dirt, and off road.

The only downside is that the Sensors could be smaller and less obtrusive. I painted the brass sections black.

FollowupID: 807629

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:27

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:27
sorry, typo. The 8 sensors were about $460 not $640.
FollowupID: 807630

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:48

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:48
Meet your second happy external monitor user,
I have used them for about 5 years now and have just brought a new set for the new tow unit. During the 5 years we had a wheel bearing problem on the camper and it showed a increase in temperature on the monitor. We also have had various flat tyres and every one showed up on the monitor with the alarm and flashing light.
I also have 18 wheels that I change between two vehicles and it is simply a matter of putting the monitor on the required wheel e.g. left front etc.
The batteries do not seem to last as long as the manufacturer states but we keep a supply of them.
Cheers
Graham
FollowupID: 807631

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:19

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:19
I changed from external to internal monitors and they are definitely better
The main thing is to have them regardless of which type as they will save their purchase price multiple times
FollowupID: 807632

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:32

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:32
My TyreDog externals are performing faultlessly.
Have a 6 sensor unit and use the extra 2 when towing a trailer. Fiddly to enable / disable the trailer sensors but can be done.
Easy to set alarm parameters for pressure and temperature. And each axel can be set differently.
Settings are from 0 - 199 psi same with temps.
Temps are more than likely ambient, but if a tyre gets hot it would probably show, pressure is what I keep an eye on.
My tyre teems are longish rubber ones so punched a wad of medium density foam to push over the stem to stop the sensor hitting the rim on the rough stuff.
While on a recent outback trip I also put a strip of 100mph tape on to hold them to the rim, worked a treat they didn't shake to death on the ABH & CSR which is a good product test IMHO.
With road and offroad tyres swapping to the tyre in use is easy and saves a few bucks not needing a 2nd set.
So add me to the list of happy users.
FollowupID: 807633

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:49

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 08:49
Hi MactrolPod,
Interested to know how you used the foam as a protector
And also the grey duct tape.
Any chance of posting a photo?
Cheers, Ian
FollowupID: 807634

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 11:31

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 11:31
I am also very happy with externals.

I started with internals several years ago. Talk about a PITA. You had to take the tyres off to install them. When the tyres were changed one of the units was damaged.

My second set have been great. As Boobook said its not the actual temperature that is important, its the change in temp.

I have just purchased but not yet installed a Steelmate TPMS 8886 system. I have acquired this to get rid of another gizmo (with power requirements) on the dash board. It is monitored by an iPhone app. The superceded iPhone 4 does a whole heap of things previously done by many discrete gizmos. While playing around with the Steelmate, I had initial difficulty with the blue tooth link (nothing unusual) but that seems to be OK now. During testing I rotated the sensors in a lettuce spinner as they only switch on when spinning.

The screw on externals have been everywhere and neither failed nor come adrift. They are so easy to move between tyres, and inflation/deflation of tyres is as easy as if they were valve caps.

Having given the matter quite a lot of thought I reckon a sensor fitted to a 2mm hole drilled through the rim might be the go. The hole could be drilled and sensor fitted with the tyre in place. The hole would be placed in the middle of the rim, diametrically opposite the valve. If anyone makes a squillion from that idea, just remember where you saw it first.

Bob
FollowupID: 807643

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 14:34

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 14:34
iijmartin, I can not get the pics to load aaarrrggghhhh
FollowupID: 807661

Follow Up By: MactrolPod - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 17:54

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 17:54
Trying to load a pic from photo bucket....
Cut foam with a 25mm hole saw the host piece with all the holes, the piece on the rim and another on the stem with a bit of 100mph tape to hold it in place.

FollowupID: 807676

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 22:27

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 22:27
I guess you don't actually know many people that own them.
I have had tyredog external sensors for since 2007 and they have been fantastic and read one psi low since day one.
Never been damaged offroad, they are ok swimming, and no one has tried to nick them.
CSR twice, Gunbarrel, Anne Beadell, Connie Sue, all over the Kimberley, all through Central Australia, all through the bottom of WA to the border, all through the Pilbara, and recently returned from a Tassie trip in including plenty of off mud rutted tracks, and river crossings.
Highly recommend them...full stop.

Brett.....
FollowupID: 807705

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 09:44

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 09:44
I am another happy external tpms user. Have had a four occasions when they have alarmed, two on corrugated roads. I probably would have run the tyres flat and destroyed them if it hadn't been for the tpms. As the tpms costs about the same as a tyre I am way ahead.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 807724

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 00:28

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 00:28
Hello Derek,
I just want to let you know how happy I am with the recent purchase of your set of eight tyre monitors and display unit. After a problem with another brand of tyre monitor that had to be returned, I was a bit a bit apprensive about purchasing another set. Soon after fitting the set (which was easy to set up) we headed off to Cape York towing a 20'
Phoenix offroad caravan. We are almost back to Brisbane now and the monitors performed flawlessly during the trip. They survived creek crossings (Gunshot Creek without the van), rough roads, wet roads, dust and a truck wash.
Thanks for supplying the monitors,
Regards,
Bill
AnswerID: 525673

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:23

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 10:23
I found this set of 10 (http://www.innotechrv.com/InnotechRV_10_Sensor_Tire_Pressure_Monitoring_System/p1769244_8615288.aspx) for $453.00 delivered overnight from Sydney.

If you send them a message via the "contact us" page, the local guys will get back to you fairly quickly.

These have replaceable batteries a and with 10 units I can also fit them to both spares. The repeater is another $66 but they suggested that I should not need it. Will try without it and by it latter in needed.

This was the best price I could find anywhere, especially with the 10 units. They do sell on eBay but are more expensive.
AnswerID: 525681

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:14

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:14
Hi Kazz

That is the old Jette 400 system we gave up 5 years ago, Davies Craig are now the Australian distributors.

(http://www.daviescraig.com.au/TyreGuard___iTPMS-TYREGUARD_400_KIT___PART_NUMBER__1015-details.aspx)

Note: We still have boosters in you need one $25.00ea.

Regards

Derek from ABR
FollowupID: 807647

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 14:22

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 14:22
G'day Ian
Got a set last Xmas. Easy enough to set up. I marked mine so I'd know what tyre they came off when removed so I can put them back on the same place and save having to reset each time. As you can gather I only use them when on holidays etc and leave them off around town.

Very easy to disconnect the trailer display when not towing. I don't need the booster/relay bit with just a camper trailer with single axle - not sure if you'd need it with the dual axle - I'm sure an email to Derek with sort that out.

Haven't had them on corrugations yet so don't know how they'll go there. They are fat headed buggers so they may bouce around a bit but as someone else said just protect them with a bit of foam.

Overall, with limited experience to date, I'm happy with them.
AnswerID: 525698

Sponsored Links