OverGrown Vic Tracks

Submitted: Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 11:19
ThreadID: 106066 Views:2702 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Have you noticed that a lot of the less well known Vic tracks seem to be getting quite overgrown.

Currently I can only do day trips so we set out to drive to MtSunday then possibily continue on to Mt Skene in Vic high country but the amount of overgrown tracks and stray timber meant we proceeded very slowly and didn't make our secondary objective.

The amount of dead wood (no doubt from 2009 fires) that was hidden by dense re-growth was causing a lot of scratches and even meant that winch had to be used on relatively flat mud holes because the fallen timber didn't allow for a proper attack on the obstackles.

Getting to the Base of Mt Sunday is an easy run , but the short climb (1km) up to it via rock ledge and bush took over an hour.

From Mt sunday towards Mt Skene used to be a scenic drive most standard cars could do but now its constant sawn of logs covered by re-growth near 100% of the time bush scrapping both sides of car and then come the obstackles that are normally just fun when uncluttered.

We put a couple of hours into it before some of the guys with new cars had enough.

We turned around, headed down to Low Saddle then around Son of a Bitch Spur and Knobs track only to find they were as bad in places with blackberries added to the mix.

I remember driving to via Low Saddle up Mt Sunday road in a HK holden , admittedly a long time ago.

I always buy plain white paint cars so most of my scratches come out easily but the guys with metallic paint seemed to have a much bigger issue.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 11:57

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 11:57
Hi Robin, on our semi regular forays to Vic we too have encountered more than the odd overgrown track. Compared to NSW, Vic is riddled with "open" tracks but as you say there is much vegetation and they are becoming "closed". A bulldoze and a slash would clean them out - or a fire - but who's going to pay?...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 525686

Follow Up By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:05

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:05
Only problem with a fire on its own is the regrowth esp. wattles. This would not happen if the country was burnt off more often, but that another story.
FollowupID: 807645

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:49

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:49
Who is going to pay is a good question Warrie - I was thinking about it from the angle of->

1/ its years since the fires

2/ there are less tracks than there were 20 years ago and much more fuel tax collected.

3/ Industrial disputes not long ago in which some Nat Park type employees were locking out people.

4/ How this all relates to moves to increase camping costs in Vic.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807659

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:52

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:52
Gday Robin
Looks like a good day out....
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525691

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:52

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:52
I'm with you Muz,
FollowupID: 807660

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 18:33

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 18:33
It was guys- at least for me - as I didn't sustain any real hits other than 4 hrs of cut / Polish.

The 80 series lost a belt which then took out the aircon belt - not good on a hot day , and 100 series with us dented the bullbar smashed hub caps off and got hung up underneath on a huge rock which then dislodged underneath the car.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807683

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 21:47

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 21:47
Robin its all in the mind. I have a Cruiser with metallic paint thats 7 years old now and I have never tried to remove the scratches. When I approach my vehicle what I see are reminders of all the fun trips I have had. Besides cutting and polishing slowly removes the paint.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 807701

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 06:22

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 06:22
We will never forget the first "pinstriping" collection drive. Shady Creek and the track was 1 meter between regrowth. Bloody hell!!! But after many more trips up there we are quite accustomed to the grey 100 coming home with a few more scratches. I give it a clean and a quick polish but that's about all. Don't like it but it's part of the area. If you don't like it don't go.

I don't like rust, so I won't go on ocean beaches unless absolutely necessary. Never been to Fraser and not going either. I have had one car rust out from under me and not enough years to have another do it.

Even got a few hundred more in the Simpson on Knolls Track.

But I do sympatise with those who like to keep the car looking good. Kind of like scratches on the heart isn't it. I can just imagine what I would say if the "Kingswood" got scratched.

Phil
FollowupID: 807714

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 09:46

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 09:46
I've heard the term bush violins used to describe the noise as the larger bits of bush drag down the side, very apt. Always find the first time out in a new car the worst, after that...

Nooooo not the kingswood
FollowupID: 807725

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:59

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 12:59
Hullo Robin
Agree re increasingly overgrown tracks.
Particularly with blackberries!
Unfortunately the build up of understory and the amount of fallen timber is a recipe for more hot fires.
The picture of a Mazda needing a winch to negotiate a muddy puddle on flat ground will delight the opposition :-) Did he have HTs on? ;-)
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 525692

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 15:19

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 15:19
Hi Andrew

The auto mazda does have a few things done to it and has good Cooper AT tyres but they are a little short on wheel travel - everyone else was coil sprung live axle wagons .
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807664

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:11

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 13:11
And when there is a fire, who are going to be the first to complain when fire crews can't get in???
AnswerID: 525693

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 21:38

Monday, Feb 03, 2014 at 21:38
Oh well after our efforts they will be able to proceed an extra couple of Kms SDG
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 807700

Reply By: oldsalt - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 13:22

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 13:22
Up around Murrindindi area a few days ago - yep... getting pretty "overgrown" alright...

AnswerID: 526040

Sponsored Links