daul cab fuel useage

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 21:17
ThreadID: 106086 Views:1829 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi crew, I got a bt50 2008 that gets loaded up once a year and heads off fishing somewhere, because it is loaded to the max it uses fuel,depends who is driving(he who must keep up with the cruisers & gets maybe 14/19lts per 100klms or she who keeps revs at 2000 & gets an impressive 12lts per 100klms), the vehicle only vips around town or does an hour trip here & there, I just did a tip of 381klms & fuelled up with 49ltrs, that's 13ltrs per 100klms empty, with only me & only doin 100klms max, it always used to be approx. 10ltrs per 100klms? been getting ready to do a big trip across the top ,but starting to rethink wot to do, forums tell me others arnt any different ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 21:47

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 21:47
Presuming the engine systems are sound.

Since it is 2008 it may require the MAF and MAP sensors to be cleaned with sensor cleaner. CRC make one for the task. MAF is just after the airbox and the MAP, (the one which gets gummed up and filthy) is before the Throttle Body housing above the intake manifold. The MAP senses the intake boost pressure and if claggy it may not indicate true boost to the ECU and the system will be out of whack.
Both are held in with two or three screws and has a wiring connector to each.
If they aren't clean it won't return good economy, normal about 9 to 9.5L/H empty.

Air filter clean?
Bigger tyres? or wider?
Is it auto?
Already weighed down with extras?
Air drag of roof rack?

The faster you try and move more weight the fuel use increases in a logarithmic fashion.
ie, Not much distance for a lot of fuel.
AnswerID: 525771

Reply By: ray t1 - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 22:05

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 22:05
Yer thanks Ross , got a roof top tent etc & only 235 coopers on & is manual ! I will have a go at cleaning those suggested before return trip , many thanks
AnswerID: 525773

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 22:48

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2014 at 22:48
Does the RTT have a nice aerodynamic spoiler in front of it or is it a just a flat brick shaped face to catch as much air as possible and cause as much drag as possible. Unfortunately, most aren't made with economy in mind.
FollowupID: 807782

Reply By: gbc - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 08:54

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 08:54
That fuel usage look about spot on for the trim in its in, especially with the different ways it gets driven. Weight, wind resistance and a bit of right boot really makes quite a difference. I recently unloaded what I thought was minimal gear (200 odd k.g.) from a Colorado we were trading in and in the couple of weeks I drove it empty the usage dropped from 13/14 to 10/11 per hundred around town.
AnswerID: 525779

Reply By: Batt's - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 13:48

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2014 at 13:48
Sounds about right similar to what my neighbour gets, the drag from the tent would be biggest downfall a wind deflector might help you would have to experiment with angles. Other than that a snorkel can help economy it alone gave my patrol 0.5 lph increase in economy also a larger exhaust to help get rid of gasses say around 2 1/2 " Both items will compliment each other and increase power then you will use less accelerator to achieve the same speed and intern use less fuel. Also make sure your tyre pressures are increased according to the weight carried it depends on your knowledge if your clued up that's great or you could ask a tyre outlet for recommedations if your not quite sure.
AnswerID: 525786

Sponsored Links