Nullagine WA area - camp spots?

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 00:39
ThreadID: 10611 Views:3391 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Plan to get away at Easter, from Port Hedland, and thinking that given the recent good rains, the Nullagine end of the Skull Springs Rd might be a good area. I'm banking on not much more rain up here before then and hoping that the pools and maybe with a bit of luck, still running streams will be nice and clear by then.
Anyone know of any good spots in that area, or have some general info on the area. Have already seen Running Waters / Eel Pool. Loved it, looking for a new spot.

David Exploroz - if this trip goes ahead, will try and do a decent GPS plot for you. Or has it already been done? If not, what sort of things would you need for it to be useful.

Thanks in advance
Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:08

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:08
Hi Russell have you been into Skull springs itself a great little campsite also Oakover river crossing was great we camped between the two crossings and about 200m upstream there is a good spot in under the paperbarks ,have a look at my plot file in the index for skull springs . You can acsess the upper Carawine gourge from the Skull springs rd and if the crossing is ok continue throu to the main gourge from there its a bit tight in spots but well worth the drive99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 47175

Follow Up By: michael - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:02

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:02
Peter, can't find your skull springs plot in search. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks, DRC
FollowupID: 309157

Reply By: dingdong - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:32

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:32
Hi Russell

Were headed to those areas June hope to try & enter Rudall River N.P. from Anthill track which I believe is quite speci . Cant seem to get any late info previous info 8 years old . Anthill track is south of skull springs rd then joins with track to Balfour Downs turns east around Mt hodgson &enters park around Meeting gorge .

Cheers Darryl
AnswerID: 47194

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:21

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:21
To Russell and Dingdong ,have a look in the Plot points index( page 2) I have downloaded a lot of the Rudall River NP tracks and the Skull Springs rd I did this Middle of last year . As a side note I did it in a 4 Runner towing a camper trailer so the track was OK the track into Dessert Queen Baths was rough but OK if you took it slow , if you are going south to north watch for a couple of bull dust patches only a few km before the baths turn off a friend hit it too hard, went into a hole and ended up with his roof rack on his bonnet ,the track to Upper Garawine is slow and tight in spots but well worth a look, hope this helps.99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
FollowupID: 309175

Reply By: dingdong - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:31

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:31
Hi Peter (York). & Russell.

Peter can you enlighten me on how to find waypoints you have recorded for Rudall river trip please as I cant seem to locate them.thank you .
Cheers Darryl

Whisky 746.
AnswerID: 47233

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:43

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:43
I know it took me a bit to find ,
goto the top of this page click on..Trip Planninng
click on..Digital mapping data
click on..Plot swap (in blue)
this will bring up about 3 pages of tracks that have been recorded on GPS to go with Oziexplorer . if you down load a file it can then be saved in Oziexploer and you can see the exact track others have taken and set up your own WPTS etc , you will have to buy points in the shop I think before you can download, or become a member and get some free points
hope this is clear others may be able to explain it better or expand on what I have said99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
FollowupID: 309222

Reply By: Bilbo - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 23:52

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 23:52
To all concerned, I wouldn't plan on going anywhere near Nullagine over Easter. They've just had record rainfall up there, to such an extent that Nuallagine township has been cut in half by record levels in the Nullagine River. The flood water will recede quite quickly, but the damage done to roads after such an eveny has to be seen to be believed. From past experience it will take months for the Main Roads Department to catch up with repairs to any road in or out of Nullagine. Skull Springs Road won't even be there any more until it's recut with a bulldozerand a grader. I used to have mining leases up along Skull Springs Road. The creek crossings on the road from Mt Newman to Nullagine are steep enough when it's dry. After a wash out like this, you wouldn't get across 'em without ripping the front off yer vehicle or tearing the backside out of yer van. Leave it until about September. Been there done that - not funny. Take it from an old bushie, it's not worth the effort.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 47406

Sponsored Links