Maps Comparison

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 17:25
ThreadID: 106115 Views:2290 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just bought an Apple Ipad Air.
Can anyone tell me which is a better map system the Mudmap 2 or Eotopo map.
Would appreciate some feedback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 18:46

Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 18:46
EO topo on Memory Map for IOS is the go. I'm a big fan of memory map which is the app and EO topo is mapping data for it. You can also get Hema, State maps at 25K, Westprint, marine maps etc etc and you can get a free version for your PC and do your planning on that. ( The Hema app is based on memory map too)

Mudmaps have a fatal flaw in my opinion. The main map uses Open Street Maps. This is a free ( outside Mudmap) map made by non technical users of their product. It works like a map version of Wikipedia. It is brilliant if you want to navigate cities or more frequented areas, but has thousands of errors including hundreds in one small section of the high country alone. The more remote, the more errors. It's free on OSM but Mudmaps charge $150ish for it. They call it the "project". You fix it, and they own your data.....

EO topo on the other hand is based on government survey data. Hema etc similarly has professionally sourced maps.

Get the Memory Map app ( a few bucks) and try EO topo for free for several days. Alternatively download it on your PC for free and try it.

AnswerID: 525868

Follow Up By: Old 55 - Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 21:53

Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 21:53
Hi Bookbook
Can you run EO Topo on an IPad air. I have both Hema and Mudmaps on my IPadAir but prefer EO which is on my laptop but so bloody hard to see in daylight.

FollowupID: 807961

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 22:20

Thursday, Feb 06, 2014 at 22:20
Hi

Just to clarify, and as suggested by Boobook, EO topo is a set of geo-referenced maps available in various image formats.

By itself it wont "run" on anything.

You need an image viewing application or preferably a GPS mapping program in which to open the maps....so with respect to Ipads I am lead to believe that Memory Map and Mud Map 2 (iOS gps mapping programs) both represent viable options that can be used to open and use EOTopo for its intended purpose (subject to the maps being in the correct format for respective programs). There maybe other options (i.e. apps/programs) for viewing the maps on apple gear. I use TwoNav (on purpose built unit) a fair bit - there is a Ipad version of this software..so thats another option.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 807965

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 06:24

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 06:24
You can create a Memory Map account on their web site

Memory map

Then get the EO maps for your Hema app.

The only issue may be that there are 2 versions of EO. One is for memory map ( and Hema) the other is for Oziexplorer and I think the licensing is different.

Hema description of using other Memory maps

FollowupID: 807979

Sponsored Links