WA Govt is conducting a review on all Nature Based camping

Submitted: Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 17:58
ThreadID: 106129 Views:2459 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Review of Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Regulations 1997
WA government is conducting a review on this it covers rest stops free camping areas if you are interested please follow the link and comment on the questionnaire closes on the 28th of this Month Feb. Please alert all those interested…
http://www.dlg.wa.gov.au/Content/Legislation/UnderReview/CaravanCampingRegulations.aspx
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 18:09
Amendment to the above may not cover rest stops but refers more to local Govt and some others
AnswerID: 525938

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 19:55

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 19:55
Interestingly, I downloaded the questionnaire file and the draft plan both in a DOCX format but that is a format not recognised by my machine.

Is this a ruse to weed out some responders or the complexities of non backward compatible software, otherwise known as "Planned obsolescence".

Whose paranoid, me???....no way. LOL.

Any advice ...anyone?.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 525943

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:12

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:12
I located the draft plan in PDF format but no luck with the questionnaire.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808045

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:34

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:34
Bruce, Microsoft Office Word (version 2007 and above) is the primary software program used to open DOCX files. If you have an earlier version of Microsoft Word, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack to open, edit, and save DOCX files in your older version of MS Word. Here's the link to where to go to download it - Microsoft Compatability Pack Link
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808049

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:35

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:35
...you can can get an "add on" for older versions of MS Word that allows then to read the newer *.docx files...if that helps.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 808050

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:41

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 20:41
woooops :)
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808051

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 22:32

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 22:32
Thank you Michelle and Greg.

I'll get on to it tomorrow.
Thanks again, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808057

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:49

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:49
There is absolutely no need to upgrade your MicroSoft Office to read DOCX documents. Just download and install LibreOffice. It is free. It will open any M$ document. We have used it at our computer club when PPS documents refused to run on the clubs Office programme.

When downloading the programme change the sdrop down box to GB English (we don't want the Yankee spell check do we.) Download both the LibreOffice_4.1.5.2_Win_x86.msi and the file and then install them in that order. The second install file gives you the help section and proper English addons.

I have not had a M$ office product on my machines this century. OpenOffice or LibreOffice need less learning each time they are upgraded. They are better for those who understand the older versions of Office.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808083

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:13

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:13
"There is absolutely no need to upgrade your MicroSoft Office to read DOCX documents"

Well there is if you already have and are happy with an older, paid up version of MS Office and want to open *.docx. files. The Compatibility Pack is free. There is absolutely no need to download and install another program and then go to the trouble of learning how to use it (no matter how easy it is) when what you have will work fine.

Lets not turn this into a MS bashing exercise. If you don't have MS Word (or do, but don't like it) and want to open *.docx files (or whatever) ..fine, research your options.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808087

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:16

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:16
The .docx would not open for me from either link and I have all the right versions, saying there were errors n the document so I doubt anyone will get it to open correctly. However the .pdf link ofthe same document did work. The guidelines are also available on line Nature Based Camping Guidelines

I have spend today working on the questionnaire on the guidelines for the proposed nature based camping, and I am up to the hard additional question:

"Will the provision of more nature-based parks reduce illegal camping? How do you think illegal camping can be better regulated?"

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808113

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:34

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:34
I can open both the on line version, and the .docx questionnaire from the links. I have attached the latter for anyone who is having trouble downloading in both .docx and .doc formats.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808115

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 21:27

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 21:27
Just did the online questionnaire - arghh! what a huge task. It is not the faint hearted I assure you. It doesn't line up with the document very well so you have to guess what part they are talking about and the questions are very specific yet open ended (?). I skipped a lot of the second section but offered our input from the camper perspective. I heavily argued the point of restricted stays based on facilities provided and put forward the case for the BYO campers like us to should be able to stay for 2 weeks (not 3 days) if we have our own provisions. I would urge others to do the same. Also raised the question as to what fees if any would be introduced at these "nature-based" camps as this isn't mentioned and that could be a problem. There is a silly section that contradicts itself regarding the requirement for showers and basins - so I addressed that, and suggested that they weren't mandatory which is what it seemed to indicate in the initial wording. There are certainly many areas where campers can have a say. I found this is targetting "bush camps" more than "caravan parks" so if you are a bush camper this is worth having a say on. The final question is worth everyone making a comment upon!

see Online Questionnaire
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 525950

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 23:30

Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 23:30
Yes the questionnaire is a pain it seems to be targeting those wishing to build a "Nature Based Park" and i agree it will have an impact for those minimal charge camping areas like those run by some Local Governments. The ridiculessness of the minimal stay times also got my attention, three days if there are no facilities those are the ones i like the most and want to stay the longest at. Worth commenting on.
AnswerID: 525956

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 09:23

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 09:23
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I simply filled in the survey monkey online form which worked fine on my iPad, so assume it would have been very easy on a computer, as most things like this are more complicated on iPads.

I think it is VERY IMPORTANT people fill this out as it looks like yet another example of the dead hand of bureaucracy grossly over complicating something that ought to be fairly simple. To quote my closing remarks in the submission:

"Again this is a classic example of why economic growth in Australia is stalling and unemployment remaining unnecessarily high. There is no need for the vast majority of the regulation promulgated in this survey and if it comes into force, it will massively constrain the growth in this sector.

"Keep it simple: concentrate on composting toilets, disposal of detergenated water and carry out your own rubbish."
AnswerID: 525964

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:27

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 19:27
This is really confined to addi the Nature Based Campground proposal

The Department has commenced a review of the Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Regulations 1997 in relation to nature-based parks and is creating guidelines for local governments and developers to assist with the approval of licences and development for nature-based parks.

"Objective
The objective of the review is to:

clarify the definition of nature-based parks;
encourage investment and establishment of nature-based parks;
introduce a set of minimum standards on nature-based parks while maintaining flexibility;
discourage illegal camping by providing legal options;
make it easier to license and regulate nature-based parks; and
create uniformity with licensing."

This concept was announced late last year for private enterprise to offer low facilities campgrounds on rural land. My comments at the time included:

"It will be interesting to see if any landholders are willing to risk investing in the structures required, when potential customer numbers are likely to be small."

"As many of us prefer a natural environment for camping rather than a caravan park in a town, this may tap into the bush campers rather than draw away caravan park customers."

It is not about free camping and rest areas; it is about offering an alternative model in camping, but still commercial.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526000

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 20:34

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 20:34
While i agree the survey and the guidelines confine themselves to "Nature Based Campgrounds" there are questions that can lead into other areas such as

"11. Will the provision of more nature-based parks reduce illegal camping? How do you think illegal camping can be better regulated?'

There is no real definition of what is classed as Illegal Camping in the guidelines. I remember when they first brought in the "requirement" that if anyone was in such and such a distance from a caravan park they were not allowed to camp.
To me it is always the thin edge of the wedge, I do not trust the actual and sometimes hidden motives behind these changes. How many times have there been challenges to free camping areas and rules by caravan park associations and owners in the hope that if there are fewer of them that business will be driven their way.
FollowupID: 808119

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:22
Hi KBAD

It will probably take me longer on that one questions than on the rest of the questionnaire.

The regulations they fall back on are:

Western Australia
Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Act 1995
Caravan Parks and Camping Grounds Regulations 1997

http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation/statutes.nsf/main_mrtitle_1204_homepage.html

Regulation 11

Extract

" (1) A person may camp
(a) for up to 3 nights in any period of 28 consecutive days on land which he or she owns or has a legal right to occupy, and may camp for longer than 3 nights on such land if he or she has written approval under subregulation (2) and is complying with that approval;
(b) for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road side rest area;
(c) for up to 24 consecutive hours in a caravan or other vehicle on a road reserve in an emergency, unless to do so would cause a hazard to other road users or contravene any other written law with respect to the use of the road reserve;
(d) on any land which is —
(i) held by a State instrumentality in freehold or leasehold; or
(ii) dedicated, reserved, or set apart under the Land Administration Act 1997 or any other written law, and placed under the care, control or management of a State instrumentality,
in accordance with the permission of that instrumentality; or
(e) on any unallocated Crown land or unmanaged reserve, in accordance with the permission of the Minister within the meaning of the Land Administration Act 1997, or a person authorised by the Minister to give permission under this paragraph. "

Some Shires use this to say you can't camp in their Shires, and others use it to let you for up to three days on their land or in roadside rest areas. Those that take the hard line say "get the permission from the landholder in writing".

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808126

Sponsored Links