What's the difference between Chescold fridge/freezer and fridge

Hi, I know there is a big price difference and the fridge/freezer version gets colder but what is the difference, insulation, more gas ???
I have read heaps of articles about 3 way fridges and most start off - my 3 way fridge wont get cold enough but by the end of the article everyone is arguing saying that their fridge freezer gets heaps cold. Everyone miss reads the start of the article about 3 way fridges not fridge/freezer.

What is the difference between the 3 way fridge/freezer and the fridge version internally.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil 23 - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 07:45

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 07:45
I've personally owned 2 Chestcolds.
The first was one of the older brown metal models, a fridge/freeze & I was completely happy with it. Mostly used it at fridge temps & it was great. Was reluctant to let it go with a camper sale but did.

Replaced it with a RC1180 Dometic & love it too.

Use it a lot soley as a freezer & it handles that task just fine.

Cheers
AnswerID: 525960

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:45

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:45
We had the green Chescold "fridge freezer" think it was about 40litres. The only difference between "fridge" and "freeze" was the temperature dial...from memory the internal space was the same (i.e. no partition in the main part). There was a very small partition for stuff you didn't need to have really cold - but this was about the size of a medium sized Tupperware container. It got cold enough - but they have to be pretty much level - if they are on any sort of angle, they don't operate very well at all. The exit at the top where the flue is also gets really hot (enough to take skin off) so keep kids well away!

Chris
AnswerID: 525962

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:09

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:09
rudes
Do you mean internally "the cabinet" or internal of the works "wots makin" it get cold?

The freezer one may use more gas as it need to supply more energy to the liquid ammonia inside the guts to cause more cooling action to be possible.

It may also have larger dia tubes in the condenser on the rear so it can have more more holes in it's internal separation screens which part the coolant fluid from the ammonia gas.
If they are bigger it will create more volume of cool to be able to freeeeeze instead of just cool.
AnswerID: 525977

Sponsored Links