Holden Colorado 2, 147kw towing capability

Submitted: Friday, Feb 07, 2014 at 21:55
ThreadID: 106134 Views:7365 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone towed a caravan around the 3 ton weight with the upgraded Colorado 2 Ute?

The upgraded ute is stated at 147kw with 500 Nm in the auto mode.

Cheers...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:37

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:37
Hi Con
I have seen all the various new breed 4cyl diesels towing vans around that weight, some maybe heavier. My opinion is too heavy for a 4cyl vehicle, asking those 4cyl to do a big job. I don't know how the towing capacity is calculated, but I do think overstated. Once again in my opinion 2.5 ton loaded is the max I would tow. far less stress on the donk, gearbox drive train etc. I not saying they can't do it, I'm asking at what cost to the vehicles mechanics.
AnswerID: 525975

Reply By: Cruiser . - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:29

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 12:29
We have the 1st generation of the same engine (132Kw and 470Nm) and tow a 2.5T full size van with no problems at all.

Economy is great, but naturally varies with driving styles/wind/road conditions etc

Hope this info helps in some way

Cheers,

Cruiser
AnswerID: 525982

Reply By: Member - Wayne B - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 15:23

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 15:23
We tow around 2200-2300 no problems with ours, but I agree with bluefella. Wouldn't like to tow 3000 with it
AnswerID: 525987

Reply By: Tony H15 - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 17:36

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 17:36
Most of the new breed utes are rated at three ton, I think it's worthwhile remembering the manufacturers have enough confidence in the vehicle to rate them at three ton - and provide a warranty. I don't think they would be interested in making problems for themselves.
AnswerID: 525998

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 17:48

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 17:48
Con
I agree with those who have said a 3 ton van would really be stretching a car of that size and weight to the limit.

There are two issues that should be considered when towing something that big and that is the ability of the car to not only tow it but to keep it under control as well. General Motors have a Corvette sports car in their range of vehicles that would have enough power and torque to tow your van at 150 kph all day but it is nowhere near heavy enough or long enough in the wheelbase to have any hope of controlling it. That is the problem you will face with a relatively light weight car like a Colorado when coupled to a huge van with a lot of weight a long way in front of and behind the axles and a massive wind catching body surface along each side. If anything like wind or a sudden change in direction by the car knocks the van off its straight ahead course at highway speeds, it will swing the rear end of the car one way and its heavy rear end the other then go back the other way in an instant and you will be wishing you had a car that was 1 ton heavier than the van instead of 1 ton lighter.

The towing capacity of these size utes does look rather high but you have to remember they are commercial vehicles and there are plenty of commercially used trailers that could weigh 3 to 3.5 tons yet are much shorter and lower with lower ball weights than a similar weight van. When towed at moderate speeds in fairly flat areas, the cars will handle them easily.

A similar weight van out on the highways or freeways is a totally different story and that is why all of the utes in this size range don't have a good safety record when towing large vans.
AnswerID: 525999

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:08

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:08
Splits, the differences between the modern dual cabs and vehicles that people consider to be the best tow vehicles are now not as great as you would imagine.
I have the new PX Ford Ranger Dual Cab and have previously had a TD 100 series landcruiser for towing. The Ranger honestly does the job easier than the Cruiser and the longer wheelbase (by 370mm) is more stable in adverse conditions and more than offsets the slight reduction in track width which is only about 60mm narrower than the cruiser.
Also if both vehicles are fully loaded to capacity, there is only a 60kg variation in weight.

The specs below are from the manufacturers websites.

Specs:Ranger vs Landcruiser

Power: 147kw vs 151kw
Torque: 470nm vs 430nm
Length: 5331mm vs 4890mm
Wheelbase: 3220mm vs 2850mm
Track Front: 1560mm vs 1620mm
Track Rear: 1560mm vs 1615mm
Kerb Weight: 2177kg vs 2510kg
Gross Vehicle Mass: 3200kg vs 3260kg
Towing Capacity: 3500kg vs 3500kg
Payload: 1023kg vs 750kg

I too have made the same statements you have made in relation to heavy towing and modern vehicles. I still have 2 x f100 4x4's from the old school days of towing......but these new breeds of dual cabs are much larger, heavier, more powerful and economical and pretty hard to pass up as being very capable tow vehicles.

BW
FollowupID: 808123

Follow Up By: splits - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:48
That still leaves a Ranger 1322 kg lighter than a 3500 kg caravan. All the research out of the UK and USA in recent years is pointing to a tow vehicle being at least as heavy as the van with the longest possible wheelbase and the shortest possible distance from the axle back to the tow ball.

I have seen a lot of van accidents on the freeways around Sydney either while driving or on TV and that has included a few Cruisers and their vans upside down in the middle of straight roads.

The Cruiser is still 990 kg under its maximum towing capacity. That is no problem with the right trailer in the right conditions but one of them hurtling along at highway speeds with a 1 ton heavier box resembling a block of flats behind it is not the right combination. There are plenty of larger vehicles that will do a much safer job with plenty in reserve.
FollowupID: 808136

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 07:29

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 07:29
The Colorado will do it easy. The trailer sway control eliminates pretty much any chance of getting out of shape. I tow a bobcat and large boat with a ranger and the extra fulcrum with the longer wheelbase has to be driven to understand just how smooth these things are on the road, and just how good a tow vehicle they are. If dinosaurs can't get their heads around the fact that torque is made inside an engine and it could give a rats about what you've hooked onto the rear, they are going to do their heads in as engine capacities continue to get smaller, more powerful and more efficient.
The ranger is lighter and can carry more and tows better. If you think you should be heavier, just throw something in the tray, at least it's a legal option in the ute. Rangers come with a tow bar in those figures too, so the cruiser is another 60 odd k.g. In arrears in the payload department before we accessorise and load up for the trip.
FollowupID: 808150

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:12

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:12
Just a follow up, I'd suggest you drive the Colorado at towing speed and see how the box settles down. Looking at the torque curve it does not appear to be a relaxed motor and will be chasing it's torque or never using the top gears?
The Isuzu version might lose a few top end ponies, but it looks to have plenty more ponies available for towing duties on the highway at less revs.
This is where advertising 'horsepower heroes' results and real world driving results clash and the line blurs quite a bit.
FollowupID: 808358

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 20:13

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 20:13
Con_Qld

Yes they will move it along but the inherent safety is a concern.

If you get a 1metre length of timber and tie a 2kg bag of rice on one end and a 3 kg bag of rice on the other, then hold it in the middle and shake it all about ( NO , not a song) you will see the 3 kg bag has the ability to tell the 2kg bag to do what it wants. I just thought rice was a suitable in the circumstances.

Like some of the above I like the bags to be closer to the same weight if you want some sort of control in less than ideal conditions, ie, driving on the road is one such situation.
AnswerID: 526002

Sponsored Links