EO Topo / Twonav

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:06
ThreadID: 106136 Views:2508 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday All : Can anyone tell me if the EO topo is comparable with compegps Twonav & if so has anyone used it .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pauly_T - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:23

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:23
My understanding and open to correction, is that EO topo are maps and twonav is an application, comparable to oziexplorer and the like.

Twonav does do some fancy stuff if I remember correctly, vector map, overlays and so on.

Paul
AnswerID: 525971

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:35

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:35
I thought that was a typo and he meant "compatible" not "comparable"...or maybe I got it wrong :(

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808080

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:33

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:33
Hello

I use TwoNav all the time on an Aventura (purpose built PDA type thing made by CompeGPS). TwoNav comes in various "versions" that run on their devices (Aventura, Sportiva, Ultra, Dekta)...and they also make TwoNav versions for Android, iOs and PC (in addition to CompeGPS Land (bit like OziExplorer PC) which also runs on PC/Mac).

So in answer to your question EO topo, as supplied (ECW format), will run straight away on TwoNav via one of there devices (i.e. Aventura, Sportiva, Ultra, Dekta) and within CompeGPS Land....but if you plan on running the Android/iOs version you will have to convert the ECW format map to their own RMAP format - this can be done easy enough using the CompeGPS Land (free download) program on your PC/Mac.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Android devices (at least, not sure about Ipads) - Maximum file size that TwonNav on Android device can read is 2 GB....so each map must be smaller than this or they won't be recognised (this applies to all maps not just EOTopo). This is not a problem with EOTopo as the ECW files for each state are smaller than 2 GB to start with and converting to RMAP generally makes files smaller again. The EOtopo combined map for all of Australia is 2.8gb in ecw format ..so this may be a problem to convert ...but you can just use the state ones so no big deal.

Summary - go for it.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 525974

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:39

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 11:39
mmm ...Ok I may has misread your post...as pointed out by Paul EOtopo is a set of maps in various formats, TwoNav is a GPS mapping program. They are not "comparable".EOTopo wont do anything by itself, its not a program/app.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808082

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:53

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 09:53
Sorry for the " Typo " that would be compatible ...too much of a rush running off to the pic's !!!
I want it for My twonav /Androids tablet < that i already have & using but thinking these's maps maybe better & more up to date than the one's supplied by Octa ....raster SA 100K . Aust Topo 250K

quote { this can be done easy enough using the CompeGPS Land (free download) program on pc/mac }
I was of the understanding to use the compe land to convert maps was a paid program ? $$$

cheers

Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 808159

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 18:14

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 18:14
Hello

Well "basic" version of compegps land is free to download and use so do that and see if option to save a map as RMAP is available (load a map and use "save as" - RMAP should be listed if available, if not then maybe you do need payed version??). The paid version certainly has extra features...not sure about the conversion option. I have paid version but cant remember what it did and didn't do before I paid up.

Details maybe in the software specs blurb as well - don't have time to look for you.
'
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808204

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:13

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:13
Thanks Greg appreciate year help .
cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 808213

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:01

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:01
Hi Explorer .... like your new wheels ....LOL

I looked into the compe land for converting map format .... I'm out of luck
nicko said i need full licence ...Bugger !!!!
is that the only way of converting map format ?
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 808508

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:11

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:11
mmm....bummer

I know of no other program that converts to RMAP

Several options remain..

1) Pay the ~$60 for the license.

2) Ask ExplorOz if they could supply in required RMAP format (i.e. they will have to pay the $60 to get licensed version)

3) Purchase the maps and get someone you know who has licensed version of compegps to convert for you.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808510

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:36

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:36
thanks Greg : to buy a licence out right is (74.37 Euros) = $ 114 aus ?
50 % discount if you buy there gps's
I will give David a go .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 808524

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:45

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:45
Woops ...sorry, not sure where I got $60 from.

Good luck

Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808526

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12
Nick

Think you have been given a "bum" steer by Nicko.

I just downloaded a copy of Compegps Land onto a spare laptop I found lying around (think its the wife's - don't tell her), loaded a ecw file and sure enough I can convert to RMAP as I initially suggested.

You do have to "activate" the product (basically register to their system by entering name and email address) but it is free and bingo the option to convert a loaded ecw map to RMAP works.

Now..there is a 30 day trial period....but if you get your EOTopo maps and convert within this time frame all OK (doesn't help if you get updates of the maps later but it is a short term solution).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808527

Sponsored Links