Driving Trucks.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:15
ThreadID: 10614 Views:4268 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry for the off topic post but I'm hoping someoneout ther will e able to help me.
I'm curently going through a bit of a quarter life crisis. I'm stuck in an office with very little scope to move interstate (maybe sydney) and am looking for a career change. Don't know why but truck driving came up. Might be because of the truckies shortage. Anyway I'm only 23 and have heard companies don't like employing young un's (under 25) because of insurance issues. Was looking at getting my HR licence and going from there. Hey I could be way off th mark here and it could be potentially a very silly idea.
Sorry for the interuption....................Back to four wheel driving!
Cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Barry F - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:13

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:13
Most company's want an R.T.A. ( VIC roads ) don,t know other version, print out of your licence to see what you have been up to for the last 5 year's if that's OK then you might have a chance, what,s the worst that can your young plenty of time to bounce back as they say a (change is as good as a holiday!) Being an ex truckie long hours and hard work but good if you get with right company !!!!!!!
AnswerID: 47183

Follow Up By: Barry F - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:15

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:15
MONEY left that out brain fade from driving trucks, just kidding.
FollowupID: 309152

Follow Up By: Barry F - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:48

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:48
MONEY left that out brain fade from driving trucks, just kidding.
FollowupID: 309154

Reply By: Member - PatC - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:20

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 13:20
Hi Justin,
Try scoring a job with a company that has truck's but isn't a transport company. EG Fuel depot, factory the delivers, bitumen companies etc. It's often easier to start that way than crack into transport companies without any experiance. I started in a fuel depot off-sideing. Then moved on to a freight company and ended up driving road-trains in Central Queensland. Great life while single but gave it up when the kids came along. Best money I found was with the bitumen companies and major fuel companies. Been out of for a while now so things would have changed a bit. There might even be some sort of traineeship available. Good Luck.

See Ya
PatCMake plans... not excuses.
AnswerID: 47191

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:13

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:13
get your truck license and head west- no shortage of good paying jobs here in Kalgoorlie and if you work a 2 and 1 roster that leaves plenty of time to check out this great uncrowded state
AnswerID: 47210

Follow Up By: mijochka - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:37

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:37
Davoe.
Interested in your comment re driving work at Kalgoorlie. My wife and I are planning to take off in a few months to take our van 'round Australia.
Whilst we've budgetted for the trip, I've been thinking that if the opportunity presented itself I wouldn't mind picking up some work,and maybe staying on the road a bit longer than we could otherwise afford. I am 57 years old,of sober habits and in excellent health. I hold a HC licence and spent many years as an owner driver on both interstate and local transport, though have been away from the industry for the last 10 or so years.What is your opinion of my chances of picking up work in the mines. Visited Kalgoorlie last year and was very taken with the place.
If any other contributors have any suggestions from other areas, they would be appreciated.
Mick
FollowupID: 309188

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:17
as I said plenty of driving jobs here both in the mines and with support industries. Mine work can be a bit difficult to crack initially but once you are in you are in. Best suggestion wpold be to get saturdays Kal miner and apply for jobs going and also register with every employment agency in town (there are heeps) and be prepared to take almost anything as you never know where it may lead. Dunno what your missus does but there are also plenty of oppertunities for the fairer sex. Oh you will also need to get a WA license (easy) and a MARCSTA.(General Mining induction ) not hard eitherjust 2 days and some$$.
FollowupID: 309213

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:33

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:33
Hi Justin
We own a trsnaport company and haul dangerous goods Melbourne to Sydney and Brisbane. Even though dangerous goods is alot more mucking around with diferent corses and training, think twice about your desicion. Sitting in an office is a big change to driving trucks. Maybe try going on a couple of trips first to see what the boys have to put up with, no sleep, other drivers on drugs and don't know where they are let alone what they are doing, waiting 10 or 12 hours for a load and then having to be back in melbourne in 12 hours time after they have loaded, breakdowns and the list goes on. Crap food in the roadhouses, and some company's are BYOW (bring your own wages). We are lucky with the freight we cart. There is no back loading and no getting your hands dirty. Turn the valve on and off and off you go. Our boys do get excellent wages because we come under the fuel & oil award, but then every driving job isn't roses and cream like our company. Our guys start and never seem to leave. You are right about the truckie shortage in the general freight because I think they are starting to realise how hard it is out there. All the new laws make in near impossible for anyone to make a go of it these days, but don't get me wrong, they really needed to start cracking down on SOME of the drivers and I suppose they are only looking after the drivers as well. I think your silly idea comment might be right......lol
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 47226

Reply By: Member - Frank - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:28

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:28
Get your licence or you will always wonder

But try to get some weekend work at this point there are companys that relay trucks and you end up where started this way if the glamer fades quickly and you find you dont like you still are where you started but have at least tried

frankCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 47262

Reply By: Big Trev - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:58

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:58
Truck driving is a good job, but not a career. It is bloody hard work, with little return. You are exposed to the elements, the enforcement agencies and some unscrupulous bosses.

I have been in the industry for nearly 30 years, I don't drive any more, but work closely with the industry and nothing has changed.

Truckies are great people, who work bloody hard, the job can be boring after a while. Whilst it sounds exciting to drive between Melbourne and Sydney, try doing it 2 or 3 times a week for 48 weeks per year for 10 years!!!

The advice that was given regarding non-transport companies is good advice, they will tend to take on younger less experienced people.

When you go to get your licence, shop around - cheap doesn't always mean bad, the same as expensive doen't always men good. Do a course, rather than one hour lessons. It more intensive, and normally you share the truck with others so you can learn from their questions of the Trainers, as well learning from their mistakes.

Just be prepared to do long, hard hours with very little pay (normally).

Good Luck.
AnswerID: 47290

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:53

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:53
Having done interstate for 8 years, and truck driving for 12 years, I can say its a JOB, nothing more. Its not a career as there is nowhere to go, from cab to office, but your already there...

Its a good job for a single person, who doesnt mind never being home, or being home every few days.

Good money with the right company, and if you get into interstate, be prepared to be offered pills and bleep to keep going. There are more cowboy companies out there than people imagine.

LONG LONG days are the norm, having done weeks where you do 15-18 hours 5 days in a row many times...

If your not a night owl, dont go for interstate.

If you hate traffic dont become a driver.
AnswerID: 47300

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:13

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:13
Hear, hear. Why in bloody hell would you become a truckie these days.

My young bloke is a 19yo Chef, works a split shift, but still only about 9 hours per day, 5 days a week and brings home about $600. He is in bed every night (time is debatable as he is 19), but starts at 10.00, normally finishes by 9.30 at night.

A factory night worker I know, 7.5 hours per day, 9 day fortnight, (7 days per week during the fruit season for about 3 months), but earns $80K per year.

WHY DRIVE TRUCKS?????????
FollowupID: 309389

Sponsored Links