Grocery shopping at wa border?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:11
ThreadID: 106145 Views:2257 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
On our return trip from Perth, we will be following the coast, Albany , Esperance and on to Cape le grand and Cape Arid, from there we are planning to bush camp at Yalta conservation area for a few days, question is, can we re stock with fresh water, and groceries, after crossing into south australia. Don't really want to have to back track, we are aware about fresh fruit n veggies at the border. Don't really expect a woollies or Coles in the area.. Any advise would be good. Cheers. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:25
The Border Village checkpoint only applies to westbound traffic.

For eastbound, the checkpoint is on the western side of Ceduna..
Don't recall any Coles or Wollies there (Ceduna), but there's a well-stocked IGA..

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526007

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:34

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:34
Cheers Ed
We were hoping to head from cape arid to balladonia, but we will need to stock up on a few things, do you know if there is any where to fill the fridges on the eyre hwy so to speak, I didn't realize about the border only for west bound traffic, but either way, we will need to find a shop.. Thanks
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808128

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:45

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:45
Once you leave Esperance going east more or less along the coast and coming onto the Eyre Hwy at Balladonia, your nearest big town is Ceduna.
There are a number of roadhouses along the way but their stock of foodstuff is quite limited and often, like fuel, expensive due to freight costs mainly. You could buy some meals at the roadhouses if necessary.

Stock up big in Esperance, even if it's only tins and dried foods to
see you through to Ceduna.

Disco.
FollowupID: 808132

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:56

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:56
Thanks Disco
Think we get the idea now, tin food it is.. Think we might turn one fridge onto freeze, when we leave Esperance, like you said.. Stock up! Thanks.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808139

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:41

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:41
Hi Odog

Like the reply above, your next major town for full supplies will be Ceduna, but you may be able to get a few basic supplies at Penong, west of Ceduna.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526008

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:48

Saturday, Feb 08, 2014 at 21:48
Thanks Stephen
That's what I didn't want to here.. Lol.. From cape arid back to esperance is 5 or so hours, didn't want to have to do that.. Looks like tin food for a while. Lol... At least we are getting an idea of what we need to prepare for. Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808135

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 14:14

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 14:14
Unless fresh salads are an essential part of your diet, frozen, canned and dehydrated foods give you plenty of variety.

As said, the SA checkpoint is as you get to Ceduna then you can go shopping.

Water will be more of a concern if you are going to be taking your time. Water comes at a price out on the Nullarbor. Others may be able to clarify as we carry enough water to last several weeks.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526046

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 15:11

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 15:11
Thanks motherhen
Think we will stock up on food and water at esperance, to last us till ceduna.. Just wasn't sure on exactly what's available, now we have a bit more knowledge of what's ahead.. We have been planning this for the last 12 months, now only 3weeks away... Can't wait. Cheers. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808189

Sponsored Links