Best beach camping spots northern NSW/qld

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:07
ThreadID: 106163 Views:4388 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking for a nice camping ground and am starting to get confused because there is just so many places..

I am looking for a nice place to go camping (powered or non-powered, doesn't matter) in Northern NSW or QLD on or very close to the beach. Somewhere you can sit around a fire and relax.

Would prefer somewhere LIKE Coffs Harbour (doesn't have to be Coffs) but somewhere really pretty. I absolutely love the look of Stradbroke Island but am a little concerned about the fact you need to take a Ferry to get there? What's it like? Opinions?

Thanks in advance guys.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Meridith D - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:34

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:34
Trial Bay near South West Rocks is right on the beach. Beautiful spot. It's in a SRA, so I don't think you can have a camp fire but it's worth it anyway. About as close to the beach as you can get. (No sand dunes in the way).
AnswerID: 526081

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:04

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 09:04
Another one for the Rocks or Arakoon http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N1174
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 808271

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:54

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 19:54
It doesn't get much better than Pebbly Beach north of Coffs. A bit of beach driving and a tidal creek to cross, then a lovely camp area right on the beach.
AnswerID: 526083

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 20:25

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 20:25
Another vote for Pebbly beach.

Switch to map view on the link and it is near point B. As said, you have to drive down the beach and cross the creek to get in... pack a tide chart.

http://goo.gl/maps/O6JvP
FollowupID: 808224

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:12

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:12
Another vote for Pebbly beach, the best on beach spot I know in NSW. Need a 4WD and nearest shop is at 35-45 minutes away so you need to be reasonably well set up. Turn off is about 40km south of Grafton, then about 20 minutes to get there. Fires OK in their fireplaces (wood supplied), no dogs though, as it is a NP. Camping fees are charged.
A small version of beach camping at Fraser Island/ Caloola coast I suppose for us people south of the Tweed.
Alternatively Sandon River, east of Maclean (45 minutes south of Ballina) but gets absurdly packed at peak times.
FollowupID: 808231

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:22

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:22
Hello Tony, do you take your big van in there ??
FollowupID: 808319

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:04

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:04
No not yet, only got it in December. Will be up there later this year.
FollowupID: 808350

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 20:15

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 20:15
For camping right next to the beach try Brooms Head just south of Maclean. Lovely spot. If you can cope with 100m further inland and a bit further south, there is Diamond Head near Laurieton in NSW, one of our favourites. There are photos of both of these spots in the Places section.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526084

Reply By: Member - Terry D (Brisbane QLD - Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:20

Sunday, Feb 09, 2014 at 21:20
My vote, Woody Heads out near Iluka. No power, but water and fireplaces (and wood supplied)
Regards
TD
AnswerID: 526093

Reply By: Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:07

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:07
Stradbroke Island is a real gem - miles of amazing sheltered sites along the eastern beach and good camping on northern end as well. Not busy in the off season. Definitely worth the ferry trip.

Straddie

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526128

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:20

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:20
Probably better value for money in sticking with NSW coast. Straddie Ferry about $150.

As you say - heaps of lovely places to choose from. Others have already made reocmmendations and they are all good.Camp fire might be a problem in some but a portable oen may be the answer. Best to check if allowed in advance to avoid disappointment.
AnswerID: 526137

Follow Up By: Kerry W (WA) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 16:49

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 16:49
Hi Krooz
If money is the issue I agree with you - however these days with so many campgrounds feeling a bit overused and no longer pristine, restrictions in campgrounds, crowds, proximity to homes and overall quality of the environment I will go a lot further to have the ideal I have in mind. Yes heaps of great spots along the NSW coast. Having grown up around the north coast I have a few favourites But in light of the mums need for a fire and relaxation and the fact he/she is already keen on Straddie I would reply to her that the quality of the location and the experience is easily worth the ~ $150 for the ferry. I would add that its worth staying at least a week and even if it does rain if you know where to camp you can have nice crystal clear pools of fresh water to bathe or lounge around in. (Not to mention the lakes and creeks).
I would just check though that the fires recently didn't impact on the camping areas on the eastern side of southern half of the island.
I know how hard it is to choose where to go - I am currently exploring WA bit by bit and over here our decisions involve a fair bit of commitment and expense involving weeks and no less than 1000klms per excursion. So far we have not been disappointed.

Hope this helps
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808315

Sponsored Links