Caravan Park Pricing

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:14
ThreadID: 106174 Views:3521 Replies:12 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
This has probably been asked a few times before? But can someone set me straight as to the way caravan parks charge. For instance, one park may charge $25.00 per night. A van park else where charges $25.00 per single person and extra for a second.

Is there no regulation regarding this difference considering both parks offer same amenities and play areas.

Riderau (Doug)
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:22

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:22
Businesses can charge how they like. What the market will bear probably!
AnswerID: 526138

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:30

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 14:30
They can charge what they like, worked in a Big 4 for a while and they just doubled the rate in school holidays, went from $33.00 a night to $66.00 and they still filled it up so if people will pay they can charge.
FollowupID: 808301

Reply By: Tony H15 - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:11

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:11
And that is exactly the reason why caravan parks charge so much: people keep paying regardless. I refuse to stay in caravan parks that charge like wounded bulls. If more people refused to pay these fees - prices would come tumbling down. Unfortunately it wont happen.
AnswerID: 526142

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:00

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:00
...... and caravan parks would close & the land would be developed!

FollowupID: 808316

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:13

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:13
Supply and demand - try to find a cheap camping option in a town with a local mine...
AnswerID: 526144

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:16

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 15:16
Mind you - if we were going to regulate anything to do with CP's - mandate a minimum % of camp sites must be available to tourists or pass through travelers. Call it a community obligation.
FollowupID: 808309

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 16:57

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 16:57
And while we're at it....

50% lawyers workload probono
Same for dentists, doctors, in fact everyone who is prepared to put their lives on hold to make a bit of money catering to people who only want something for nothing.

AnswerID: 526150

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:37

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 18:37
Not a matter of wanting something for nothing, it's a matter of wanting something for a reasonable $. How much should you pay for somewhere to park a caravan: $33 or $66 - I know what I'd rather pay and I also know when I'm being ripped off!
FollowupID: 808321

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 19:38

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 19:38
Supply and demand. Simple market forces.

No ripoffs about it.
FollowupID: 808326

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 19:41

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 19:41
So, back to what I said in the first place: If people keeping paying, prices will keep going up.
FollowupID: 808327

Follow Up By: riderau - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 08:45

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 08:45
Thanks every one who replied to my question. To John and Regina The point I am trying to figure out is, why is it that one park charges by the van, and the other charges per person. It can not be for the extra shower or toilet use. The cost of electricity for the extra person is 0. .Sorry the toilet paper maybe. I totally agree with Tony H15. It is a rip off just like the price of petrol and diesel in Cairns.
FollowupID: 808351

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:11

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:11
Tony H15,

Do you say to your mechanic, plumber or electrician I would much prefer to pay $40.00 per hour than $80.00?
If you do, I have a fair idea of what they would say, seven letters starts & ends with "F"!
Many other businesses & services have peak & off-peak pricing.
Maybe you could ask your electricity supplier to charge you off-peak rates all day?
FollowupID: 808352

Reply By: disco driver - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 20:17

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 20:17
It has been estimated that it costs somewhere between $20k and $30k to set up each bay including all the facilities required for a caravan park.
Then there is the cost of maintaining everything, cleaning toilets, camp kitchens and grounds etc.
With a yearly average occupancy rate of around 50% is it any wonder that a lot of former parks have been sold off for development, or been filled up with chalets to the detriment of the travelling caravanner.

This of course does not apply to those van parks around towns with minesites, accommodation there is even more expensive ($700 p/wk unpowered) and there is a waiting list for any vacancy that may come up.

Disco.
AnswerID: 526155

Reply By: Tony H15 - Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 23:27

Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 23:27
Caravan parks cost millions of dollars to buy into, obviously the people that buy into them have too much money and they see it as a good way to be rid of it - makes sense.
AnswerID: 526166

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:20

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:20
How many new caravan parks have you seen established in the past few years? Not too many, if any, there's not enough return on the investment when the site is somewhere other than beach/river front or similar prime land.

How many caravan parks that used to be there on prime sites, beach front, riverfront etc, are still operating as Caravan Parks and not filled up with chalets and other accommodation types. Again not too many. Again not too many, the returns are not there.

Disco.
FollowupID: 808353

Reply By: John and Regina M - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44
From memory this topic gets a good rogering at the beginning of every nomad season. Curiosity aside some are very uncomplimentary in their comments. And it will get worse as the dry looms up here in Broome. People will be downright rude.

So perhaps a word of advice is in order. If people don't like it or feel the need to disparage those who provide a service to others and whose industry dictates a 4 or 5 month season to make their living, those people should stay south and freeze their proverbials off.

Please don't bring your dissatisfaction of life into our piece of paradise.

Rant over southerners.
AnswerID: 526184

Follow Up By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:26

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:26
I agree totally. Generally you get what you pay for so I always do my homework on caravan parks before heading off.

However as a side issue, given you're from Broome is it still the collective policy of caravan parks up there not to take bookings? Back in 1998 when touring around Australia before we had kids, I found couldn't book in advance at Broome.
We saw the farcical site of vans leaving Derby @ 5am in the morning to get to the head of what we heard was the the Broome Caravan Park "queue".

So we arrived at Broome, had a look around for an hour or so then headed south to Eighty Mile Beach where we "purchased" a site 100m from the beach. We obviously missed a lot in Broome but given the circumstances I don't see what choice we had.

So I'd be interested in your thoughts as to whether anything has changed in this regard.
FollowupID: 808359

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 16:26

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 16:26
Bunyip,
You would have to ring around as I am an auto electrician, who works closely in and around the caravan parks.... but not that closely.

I agree it's not an ideal scenario to be packing up at 5am, but perhaps it only occurs for people who don't book for next year (and am prepared to put down a deposit) as they're driving out the boom gate???

I'm sure payment up front to secure a year away booking speaks volumes to the proprietors. And perhaps you can still do it now for this season if you are prepared to pay for your stay in full?
FollowupID: 808371

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:17
Bunyip, it was still the same in 2011.

Auto Electrician John? You must love the threads on 12V stuff lol!

:=)
FollowupID: 808380

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:18

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:18
Bunyip

Looking back at the log for early July last year, we rang from Derby the day before and booked direct with the CP based on a selection from Badgers.

Arrived in Broome mid afternoon and went straight to the CP - no problems.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 808388

Reply By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:51

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:51
Obviously there is more money in resorts and the like, pricing yourself out of the market is not going to help you stay in business. If I can rent a cabin for not much more than a caravan site, why on earth would I rent a caravan site. And before anybody wises up,; no, you can't get a cabin for the price of a caravan site - YET, but it's not that far off. There are obviously a lot of people willing to pay exorbitant fees for caravan sites, I'm not and I don't. For those that are, good luck to you, just be aware that as long as you keep paying these exorbitant prices they will continue to skyrocket as a direct result of your 'head in the sand attitude'. Eventually you will have no choice other than to stay in a resort simply because you wont be able to afford a caravan park. And of course these same caravan park owners will continue lobbying local councils to ban free camping sites. And, to quote a few: 'it's simply a matter of supply and demand' or 'what the market can sustain', blah, blah, blah..
AnswerID: 526186

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:56

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:56
Sorry Tony mate, but why do you think they keep putting in new cabins? It's because of the demand for cabin accommodation keeps growing. The prices aren't coming down anytime soon.

Our family use both cabins & caravan park spots regularly, I personally think the prices are usually quite reasonable.

On a recent 5,000km trip, our powered sites cost us $20-$32 per night for 2 people. This was often in very remote areas. I think that's pretty good!

The trip before was a 10,000km mix of powered sites & cabins, the only ones that exceeded the above figures were Kings Canyon & Alice. Even those 2 weren't really too bad (except the room at Kings canyon for my wife's parents - $300 per night!). The cabins were generally about $130-$140 per night.

Even at a place as remote as Mt. Dare we booked an en suite cabin for my in laws & the price was at the lower end of the scale, as was the non-powered campsite we stayed at in the CT.

When you consider how many hours these poor operators put into running a park, I really have to wonder why they'd bother! I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea!
FollowupID: 808385

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:49

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:49
I can't disagree, cabins are good value when compared to some caravan sites. They're obviously putting in cabins because the demand is there. $20 - $32 for a caravan site isn't pretty good - it's excellent. Unfortunately that is not always the case, as a previous member stated one park doubled the rate to $66. I wouldn't call that excellent, wouldn't even call it pretty good, matter of fact at that price I'd happily pay the difference, leave the van at home and rent a cabin. And that's probably why they're now building so many cabins.
FollowupID: 808439

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:10

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:10
Hi Doug

Consider land costs and rates due to location - cities will have higher overheads than rural towns. Electricity prices vary between the states, and electricity use is not confined to the caravan site outlet.

Some areas are seasonal, yet they have to cover most overheads year round with very few customers and get their annual living from the profit in peak season. Some may have high occupancy year round due to location or number of permanents. Others may have only a few each night, and counting the fees you can't see how they could even cover costs. They deserve to make some profit to live on an make up for spending seven days a week cleaning toilets and putting up with the occasional customer from hell amongst the happy people.

As a private business, it is up to them to work out what works best at there location and where discounts can be offered. Most charge a site fee covering two, and just a few give a discount for a solo traveller. Some charge extra for additional people and children (age can vary). It is what ever works best for them.

Some caravan parks have an unpowered rate or an unpowered section for caravans and discount varies from around $2 to $10. Many don't have an unpowered rate except in their tent section.

A few parks, particularly if small privately owned ones, will offer a discount for Seniors Card holders. It pays to ask if you are eligible.

How can you expect regulation in private enterprise? We have a system in Australia in all areas of business where competition and what the customer is willing to pay keeps prices competitive. If you set your prices to cover costs plus a bit in your business, whatever it may be, and a law was made to tell you how much you could charge which may be below cost for you and a tidy profit for the person in a similar business in another location, how would you react?

Council run caravan parks, particularly in rural towns where custom is too low for private enterprise, are usually very good value, well maintained without frills, and usually don't charge extra for children. They cover the maintenance from their budgets and provide a service to visitors. Worth looking for when touring.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526188

Reply By: Member - Ossiejs (Qld) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 13:46
I don't usually become involved in these emotive issues, but on reading the subjective responses from some commentaries, I just had to. Not adding to the debate, and as an occasional Caravan Park user, I was when driving through Chinchilla a few months ago. This is an extract from my Blog "2013.2 Western Qld Second Trip - Day 21
Friday, Oct 11, 2013 at 22:41" Take note of the relevant photograph in the Blog.
"I spoke with the friendly park management (at St George) about the next leg of my trek to Chinchilla. It seems the main caravan park if now pretty full of demountable cabins to accommodate the growing population of workers in the oil exploration and allied occupations. I hadn't intended to do it tough in a Caravan Park in any event.
A few more km west along the Warrego Highway and I hit Chinchilla. Driving through the town I passed Stalag 13. There were some caravans in the Tourist Park, but there were also rows upon rows of identical "delux" cabins. The travelling public seems to take second place if a Caravan Park is their choice for an overnighter, or longer stay. And a caravan site requires a two night minimum stay for $86! Ned Kelly is still alive it seems. Don't waste your money!"
I would not enjoy a stay at that, or a similar, Park. There are other options. Most Grey Nomads are not cash cows to be milked or sheep to be fleeced.
Form your own opinion Doug. My decision to camp at the Chinchilla Weir was reasonably enjoyable, and free.
End of my input!
AnswerID: 526192

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 15:16
alot here seem to have missed the question riderau
has asked why some places charge for the site and other per person - not about weather its an expensive place to stay

would say it sounds a bit odd to charge per person. I thought alot of places charged just for the site although stating how many people that covers (2 adults and 2 kids with extra adults a few more$$)

pretty much like a hotel room

havnt heard of places that charge per person although I dont go to parks much.

anyway the answer to the question was given
- they can charge how they like

I guess the only answer is to get online in advance and try and find places that offer the best value for your situation (yes often no other choice or not much competition)

but in
AnswerID: 526200

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:01

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:01
Hi get out more,

My experience is the opposite, they always ask how many people when we book in.

We have neighbor's with 2 yard apes that go camping in a CT like ours & their costs are pretty much double ours :(

Cheers mate!

Kevin.
FollowupID: 808386

Reply By: riderau - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:10

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:10
Thank you to all the reply's to a simple question, which seems to have caused a bit of a stir amongst some of you. TO the gentleman that is the electrician from Broom I can certainly understand YOUR POINT OF VIEW.
If I have ever been ripped off in the building game it is the electricians that do the best job of doing it.
This may be a bit harsh, but trust me some people get a little bit uppity on here. Any way thank those that tried to answer the Question for what I was asking. Looks like I wont visit Broom Ha Ha. By the way my ex daughter in law is from there lol.
AnswerID: 526216

Sponsored Links