Alice via the Plenty in April

Submitted: Monday, Feb 10, 2014 at 17:09
ThreadID: 106178 Views:1985 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to travel from Brisbane to Birdsville and then to Alice Springs via the Plenty departing in April. Is April likely to be a good month for this trip? We are thinking about rain and road closures in that part of the world.

We plan to return via Oodnadatta and Birdsville Tracks June/July.

Might we be better off reversing this trip?

We will be towing a Sunland Patriot caravan with a 100 series landcruiser.

We would be pleased to hear experiences from anyone who has done similar trips in those months.John and Lynne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 02:56

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 02:56
Like all such trips, your plans are a lottery; but well considered plans pay off most of the time anyway. The issue with your trip is that options are few if a wet comes across, once you are out in far SW Qld.....a run toward The Isa then west would probably be the most practical. If not, plan 'C' might present itself, where you have to sit it out and wait for dry roads ...few outback travel fans have escaped such holdups. Unhelpfully for travellers though, there is a whole lot of graziers hoping that the SW will soon turn into a giant lake :-o)...but April is a slight chance for that I guess. ..Heck...do it anyway....that is a great outback trip!
AnswerID: 526167

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:19

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 06:19
We will be leaving Alice in late May to go across the Plenty. Keeping a close watch on the road and weather conditions. Not going up to Mt Isa but across to Winton.
AnswerID: 526168

Reply By: guy007 - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 07:25

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 07:25
Hi,
We traveled across the Plenty early last May in our LC200 with Lotus Trooper van.
Road from Boulia to border was very good and had been recently graded. Border on was very rough and corrugated until about half way when we caught up with the graders moving east.
April may be a bit early for the graders so expect plenty of corrugations.
If it rains will close the road but who knows when it will next rain?
regards
Guy
AnswerID: 526172

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:35

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:35
John & Lynne,

The crossing of the Georgina River, near Glenormiston, might be a drama, if the wet( for western Qld) is a bit late. Check RACQ site, or ring Boulia Police for advice, closer to the time. Around Easter, Boulia seems to get the odd storm, which can wreck havoc with their celebrations, and the travelling public, but this not a regular occurrence.

Another option if the Plenty was closed would be to travel to Mt Isa, then Camooweal, and along Barkly H'way to the Austral Downs turnoff, just past Kiama Ck, and follow this south until you hit the Sandover H'way. It's a great drive, though a bit bland in the scenery dept compared to the Plenty. Come out on the Plenty, about 27 km from Stuart H'way.

The Plenty is also accessible via Urandangie, but if the Georgina was up, then this route would no doubt be closed too. And the Sandover can be accessed via Urandangie and Lake Nash station, but ditto comment about the river this way too.

I'm not at home, so can't post any photos. Sounds like a good trip, hope it works out for you,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526182

Reply By: Mandy B - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:51

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:51
We are planning a trip similar but leaving here at the end of March and going via Cameron Corner, Innamincka, Nappa Merrie Birdsville and then onto Boulia and then to Alice Springs via the Plenty. Planning to stay at Boulia till the roads ok to Alice. We wont be in any hurry so will just wait till roads are ok. If anyone has nice bush camping spots along this trip would love to hear about them. We will be towing a Bush Runner off Road Camper and are set up for bush camping.
Cheers
Mandy
AnswerID: 526226

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:43

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:43
Mandy,

We went over the Plenty in Aug 2012, on way to Yulara to see one of the daughters.

Camped the first night at Bengeacca Ck, which is half a km along the Donohue H'way from the junction on Mt Isa road. Cross the creek, and there are spots to both left & right. Plenty of trees, but they're all close to the creek.

Next camp area is at Georgina crossing, seems to be plenty of choice, as long it's not crowded. In 2012 there was a huge body of dry feed, so not much choice anywhere across the Plenty, so we went onto Gemtree. There is camping at Jervois, not sure of the cost.

Gemtree is pretty neat, camping amongst the mulga trees, and abundant bird life. In cooler weather, hit the showers early, as all the old buggers take the hot water.

Once you get near Harts Range, the scenery is magic. Would be good to find a camp where you could wake up, and watch the early morning sun hit the Range.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808461

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:22

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:22
Thanks everyone for your positive replies. It does seem that it is a bit of a lottery and all we can do is watch the weather and road reports. We are keen to do the trip and may meet up with Mandy waiting it out at Boulia! Last time we were at Boulia the roads to Birdsville and Alice were closed because of rain and that was later in the year - around early July! We know the farmers need rain but we are still going to hope for a break to get to Alice. Lynne
AnswerID: 526230

Sponsored Links