Arthur River to Zeehan via Corinna & the Pieman River Punt

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 16:40
ThreadID: 106193 Views:3655 Replies:3 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Over this coming Christmas/New Year period we will be touring Tassie with friends in 2wd vehicles, possibly a Mitsubishi Outlanders. I've done a general internet search and I get conflicting advice, one source states 4wd only, another says, a rough road, other states just a good windy often single-lane road.

Has anybody driven this road in the past couple of months or even better a local, that can give a less vague answer?

It would be nice to drive a less driven route instead of being restricted to the usual tourist routes.

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:34

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:34
The Western Explorer is a good gravel road when it is open. When I drove it I reckon my old Mini would have had no problems. It is currently closed Link - Photos. - This brochure paints it as I remember it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526211

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:57

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:57
Hi Peter thanks for the info, all being well the road will be fixed and no more landslide causing rains in the meantime.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808417

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:47

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:47
Hi Peter

Your link to the brochure goes to a redirect which leads nowhere.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808438

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:31

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:31
Try this one. I could not make any Google search results work on the links programme. I spent a fair bit of time searching the DIER site to find it.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808444

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 01:10

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 01:10
Thanks Peter - I had also found that one some time ago but I don't remember how I got to it.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808449

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 20:26

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 20:26
As said already. The Arthur River to Corinna road was closed in December, just north of the intersection with the Corinna to Waratah road.

We were there at Christmas and it was a real pain getting from Arthur River to Zeehan. We went down from Arthur River, across the Balfour Track and right up north to swing across east and down the Straun road to get to Zeehan. In our time in Tasmania the ONLY track that was any where near difficult was the Balfour Track. We had water lapping the windscreen.

Well worth the drive if you are set up properly and have a good jigh proper 4WD with good rubber and most important,ly that YOU knoa what you are doing. Makes for a quite adrenaline fed drive. Don't do it on your own. If you get stuck there isn't anything to secure the winch to.

Balfour Track - 25 Dec 2013.

Phil

FollowupID: 808495

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:32

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:32
Enjoyed your video Phil. Don't think the hire car company would appreciate their cars down through there though. LOL

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808531

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:34

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:34
That Dunc is an understatement. But other than that and a run up Ocean Beach near Strachan it's all good roads.

A real shame about the closure. Made it difficult for the original plan and had to re-plan our whole trip. It was a bit more than "just a closed road" in the high country.

Phil
FollowupID: 808538

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:36

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:36
Hi Dunc
We haven't been on that road for a couple of years now, but you would be able to drive it in a 2wd vehicle, but it's the same old story, just drive to the conditions.
Cheers
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526212

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:00

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:00
Thanks Baz. I know about driving to the conditions but our friends in the other 2 hire cars - well that's another story. One thinks he's Steve McQueen reincarnated if you get my drift, hopefully his wife and teenage daughter will pull him into line. And if I'm in front that will slow him down.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808418

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:41

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:41
Will the hire company allow there cars on the Western Explorer? :O

We did not fit on the Fatman with a Patrol and 18' (internal) caravan, but someone with similar but 16' just made it with the barge tailgate down. However others with camper trailers had three tyres cut by stones from the route.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808437

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:48

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:48
Hi MH, I specifically asked those sort of questions when I spoke to the guy at Thrifty Hobart this afternoon. He said as long as it is a gazetted road and appears on a map then all ok, but drive carefully as any damage can be costly.

Cheers

D
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808445

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:49

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 17:49
Hi Duncan

We travel down that way quite often and it is a great trip - certainly no significant degree of difficulty for a nomal vehicle driven cautiously, though you need to take special care with your tyres as the road is quite windy and there are some largish/sharpish stones around. As mentioned in another reply, the road is currently closed between Arthur River and Corinna because of a landslip, and it probably won't be fixed till much later in the year - so check before you travel.

An alternative is to go via the lovely old mining town of Waratah and then past Savage River and Luina down to Corinna - then over the Pieman on the punt and on to Zeehan (check out the Spar tunnel, an old mining tunnel you can drive through) and Strahan (good tourist attractions including the railway and river cruise), then to Queenstown, etc. Unfortunately going in from Waratah because of the road closure would miss places like Arthur River, Temma, Coota Rocks etc, which are all well worth a visit - and there are some great camping spots along the way.

Overall, that Western region is a really interesting part of Tasmania, so make the time to enjoy it. If you are heading on from there down to Hobart, you MUST visit the Wall in the Wilderness near the southern end of Cradle Mt/Lake St Clair national park.

Enjoy your travels, but beware of lots of competition for accommodation while the kids are on holidays (till end of January). If you have any choice, I always recommend February/March for interstate visitors.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526214

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:48

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 18:48
I don't think a vehicle AND a trailer will fit on the ferry, my ford ranger seemed to take up most room. [In Dec 2013]

PeterH
FollowupID: 808393

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:02

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:02
I've been over on the ferry with a Hilux and TVan, but agree a full size caravan would probably be too long
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808408

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:07

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:07
Hi Wildmax, we've been to Tassie stacks of times and have a few friends who we visit, unfortunately for me doing the organising, the friends we will be travelling with are Tassie virgins. Been to Queenstown & driven the Spar Tunnel in Zeehan. I see that there are a couple of bollards in front of the tunnel these days so driving it may be out.

Unfortunately we're stuck with that time of the year due to our friends business, and yes it is bloody expensive because we're having to travel at that time. (Yay for frequent flier points). Accommodation is already proving to be problematic because if we all want to share the one cabin or house we ideally need a 4 bedroom place and Tasie doesn't seem to cater for that. No shortage of rooms filled with bunk beds though. Anyway that's my problem to sort out.

Saw the Wall in the Wilderness in a DVD I was recently watching and looks like a must se place when passing through Derwent Bridge.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808419

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:04

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:04
Hi Dunc

The Spray Tunnel at Zeehan has been closed for a number of years.

The dimensions for the Fatman barge are maximum 6.5 tonnes with the maximum vehicle measurements are 2.46 metre wheel base and 2.50 metre body width. The maximum combination wheel base is 9.0 metres and the minimum caravan under body clearance 0.2 metres. The wheel base of a towing combination being the one that stops most of us. Our daughter was the "ferryman" on the Pieman for the greater part of a year almost 15 years ago. As we could not fit we drove to see the Fatman from Zeehan.

I hope the road is open by the time you get there as it certainly should be; they have been talking at least five months since the landslip in August last year, and the same report appears in the "updates".

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808441

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:50

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:50
Just got to convince the rest of the mob that it would be a good idea to go this way now.

Cheers again

D
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 808447

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:45

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:45
I have crossed the Pieman from south to north and back again.
My Prado and 4.4m Windsor fitted on easy.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808456

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 20:14

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 20:14
I was there in Dec 2013 and no work had started on the land slip as the council has no money to repair it.
The tour operator on the Arthur River boat said "it only took six months to build in the first place.

PeterH
FollowupID: 808493

Sponsored Links