Rear Wheel/Jerry Can Holders

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:00
ThreadID: 106196 Views:7291 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We will be travelling through the Simpson Desert in July and I want to carry an additional spare wheel and a couple of fuel cans 'just to be sure'.

I have been looking at the Kaymar solution and I note that they have a set of left and right carriers that attach to the rear bumper somehow (the vehicle is a 200 series Land Cruiser) - the Kaymar rear bar is an option.

Does anyone have a similar setup and would like to comment on the suitability of such a solution (without the Kaymar bar)?

Thanks,

Peter F.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:24

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:24
Hi Peter,
We only carry one full spare when remote but also carry a plug kit, patch kit, bead breaker and two spare carcasses on the roof, each filled with an inflated tube to keep the dust out. That gives us quite a few options to keep rubber under the car without the weight of extra rims.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 526224

Follow Up By: Member - fawkesp - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:42

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 19:42
Thanks Pete.

Tyres (without rims) may be an option for us but I never taken a tyre of a rim and put a new one on.

As this trip is part of a tag-along, maybe this would be a time to give it a go, some of the others may have experience to show me the way.

Peter.
FollowupID: 808404

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:13

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:13
Join your local 4wd club and ask for some personal and practical demonstrations of things like getting unbogged, safe winch use, replacing a tyre, puncture repairs etc.

They are your best local resource and no amount of printed info can compete with hands on demonstrations and practice.
FollowupID: 808410

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:53

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:53
When I arrived home with my bead breaker I swapped a couple of tyres on my spare and do it again before each trip to remind me of how it works. There is a DVD but I'm not planning on watching that half way up the Oodnadatta Track! :-)
The spare has to be rebalanced but that is no big deal.
In my profile pic the tyres are hiding behind the boat on the roof.
Cheers
Peter
FollowupID: 808457

Follow Up By: Noisy Mango - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:28

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:28
Hi Peter,
Your tour guide will be carrying tyre pliers and will happily remove & replace the tyre for you, all part of the experience. If you have the roof rack to carry the tyre carcass it will be a much cheaper option than a dual wheel carrier.
Regards,
Jenny.
FollowupID: 808512

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:17

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:17
I would rethink the need for a second spare, I carried two spares the first couple of trips out there but now don't bother.
I find that a TPMS system and a good plug kit is a much better option and the weight saving is a big plus
AnswerID: 526228

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12
Ditto.

The last flat tyre we had was in my wife's Mini Delux at Oran Park in 1969. We have not had one since, and not even close. We now have the Kaymar carrier on the back as an insurance replacement/upgrade, with a twin jerrycan carrier on the right and the spare wheel on the left. Previously it ewas just a single tyre carrier on the left. The spare wheel is on the rear bar because we removed it from under the car to make room for a long range tank fuel/water in. We still have a Canning drive to complete (this year) and I wanted the extra fuel capacity for both it the longer trips in the high country. Didn't even come close to need to extra fuel in the Simpson. But for the Canning I will need more than standard.

As far as flat tyres go, I reckon that for the Simpson you will only need one. Stay away from the edge of tracks and you will greatly minimise the risk of a flat. Put your wheels in the middle. Get a puncture repair kit, learn how to use it and you will be fine as long as you use the correct pressures and look after your tyres.

As someone else said, join a 4WD club and get some 4WD driving training and see what they say. I drove tracked and untracked big boys toys for several years on road but mainly off road in the Army, recovery stuff as well, and I still picked up a few tips at the course. Damned well worth doing. Especially for the know-alls.

The Kaymar is a good choice. Put the tyre on the opposite side to the fridge and the jerry carrier on the other.

Phil
FollowupID: 808465

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:20

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 20:20
The Kaymar bar will give you a spare wheel and a jerry can or two wheels or two Jerries! I think the Kaymar bar is one of the more expensive bars and in my opinion all that extra weight and cost is hard to justify just to carry one extra wheel. You could get a roof basket and carry two Jerries and a spare tyre, no rim as mentioned. 50kg for the full jerries and 20 kg for a tyre, no rim. This is what I made to fix the second wheel problem but doesn't deal with the extra fuel.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526229

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:10

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:10
And the good thing about this wheel holder is that when you get home, take it off! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 808420

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:17

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 21:17
EO Member Sludgy has the same duel carrier as me but his is slightly modified so that the wheel sits out further from his Troopy's rear barn doors. In this extra space sits a jerry can holder which is now part of the carrier frame. Fits beautifully. Send him a MM and ask him to post a photo or 3.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526234

Reply By: Robert H2 - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 22:02

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 22:02
Peter,

I have a 200 series and crossed the Simpson Desert in June last year.

Filled up at Mt Dare, did 540Kms to Birdsville. Went up and down big red several times.

Filled up in Birdsville, it took 110Liters so I averaged 20.4L/100kms which I thought was pretty good.

I have a Long ranger 70L auxiliary tank which gives me a total capacity of 163
Liters with the spare still under the car. I did carry an extra spare on the roof rack, but as I have a tyre pressure monitor system and new tyres I don't think that it was really necessary.

Friends who have the rear mounted wheels, find them very inconvenient as you go to the back door so often, especially when you are touring.

Rob
AnswerID: 526240

Reply By: Member - KeithB - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:56

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:56
I have two Kaymar wheel carriers on my 200 Series with a standard bumper, plus a 2 inch lift. The big plus is that it allows for a larger tank of up to 270 litres.
But for convenient access, they are a major main in the bum.
Also, with 2 wheels on the back and a 180 litre tank, it can get a little bit twiichy at speed on gravel with a full load.
AnswerID: 526267

Follow Up By: Member - fawkesp - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:16

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:16
Thanks Keith, this is what I wanted to hear, I will have a little less fuel so hopefully the 200 will behave a little better on gravel.

Peter.
FollowupID: 808574

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 16:36

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 16:36
Peter - if your tyres are in good nick and of LT construction then having a second full spare is not necessary.
Have travelled far and wide and never had a second spare and never needed one.
As others have said - learn how to plug a puncture and carry a spare tube as a minimum (maybe second unrimmed tyre if space available eg roofrack). Invest in TPMS (Derek - ABR has a good set) and you should be fine.
Go to your local tyre guy and offer him a beer or two to be shown how to remove the tyre from the rim and insert a tube.
You sure you need extra fuel for the crossing? Don't carry it unless you really need to - the less weight the better.
AnswerID: 526286

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:50

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:50
Hi Peter, If there is a similar vehicle to yours in the group I would not bother with another spare. Just make sure you stick to tracks or follow others into any side areas so as to minimise getting a stake through your tyre. Obviously have a plug kit etc on board. As for fuel I'd be surprised you would need more than what the Toyota standard tanks carry but do the math for yourself and make the decision. My suggestion is to reduce unnecessary weight and "pool" gear where you can.
AnswerID: 526336

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:38

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:38

I'm also in the "no need for 2nd spare wheel" brigade Peter , and that includes fuel or anything else that puts extra weight right at the rear.

Far more likely to need a shock than a second spare wheel unless you are just not able to repair a flat.

Even the standard towbar weighs more than the fuel in a 20lt jerry.

So on the fuel I made up a special bag that holds two empty plastic jerries.
I prefer to carry fuel inside the car , even if its a squeeze , and at end of first day the jerries are empty and go into Bag on back of our Patrol.

Also dumped the normal towbar and made a lightweight unit which saved a nett 16kg

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526344

Reply By: Member - fawkesp - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:19

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 20:19
Many thanks to all who replied.

Obviously I have a lot to think about, what seemed obvious to me does now not seem so.

Peter.
AnswerID: 526381

Sponsored Links