The best way to WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at 23:12
ThreadID: 106197 Views:2135 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Leaving Sydney about mid April on our first big trip to WA and NT, 100 series landcuiser with tinnie on top towing a 6.4 trailcraft we plan to be away about 5 months. like fishing and snorkeling.Any suggestions on which way to go and must see places to visit and stay
Tessa
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:09

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:09
Hi Tessa

What a wide open question. You may like to look at My Blogs of the Northern Territory 2009 and the Kimberley 2008 to see what you may like. However the only fishing we did was at Kalumburu.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526248

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:56

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 00:56
I would suggest over the top would be the best. On each trip around the block we left in June and had 4 months. We did not do any sight seeing until after we passed Katherine. We did not spend much time after passing Perth, then did not do any sight seeing after Ceduna.

You will probably early enough to catch the whales at the Head of the Bight. Stay at Nullarbor Roadhouse. Your entry ticket is for 24 hours so you can park at the car park next morning after you pull out from the roadhouse.

Quarantine. Dont stock up at Katherine. You will loose your fresh fruit, veggies and honey as you enter WA. On the way home you will also loose them at Ceduna. Quarantine site.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526251

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 05:32

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 05:32
Weather wise leaving that time of the year you are off better going clockwise, plenty of fishing along the coast of SA, Port Lincon, Coffin Bay, Streaky Bay and Ceduna.

If you want Barra fishing, go north first and fish the run off, but its a lot harder to get into the Gulf unless you go in from the NT side and fish the wet lands or places like Daly River. The Gulf is best fished in April/May so that would be my plan.
AnswerID: 526254

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:46

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 08:46
Hi Tessa,
I would go to the NT first as it would be just at the right time and you would be able to do the top end in winter (cooler) rather being their 5 months later (hotter/very hot). You will find the top of the west coast more enjoyable that time of year. So by the time you get to be down south it is warming up and not to cold. North for the winter and south for the summer.
Where to go, there is just to many to list. But a little known place in the NT called Douglas Hot Springs NP is very nice and not far off the Hwy.
Hope you enjoy your trip and travel safe.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526258

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:26

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:26
Horizontal Falls
Plan to go there as a must. Stay at Derby CP sea plane trip to the house boat, stay overnight, get to go through the falls twice. A must see natural wonder of Australia.
Daz
AnswerID: 526262

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:50

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:50
If you do want to do Horizontal Falls book 2/ 3 week ahead normally book that far in advanced.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 808463

Sponsored Links