Generators

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 22:16
ThreadID: 106208 Views:1848 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just after some info from anyone who has or is using a Tiger Generator. They are a full sine wave invertor generator for $699. They are available from OZWAYONLINE.com.ay. Any feedback on this company as they have a shop at Morayfield shopping centre. All the good promises made but are they for real. I know that you get what you pay for but there are some good bargains out there. Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 23:18

Wednesday, Feb 12, 2014 at 23:18
Hi Scruffy,

As you say, there can be some good bargains out there.
But there can also be some risks too, not the least in the area of personal safety.

$699 is very cheap compared to the brands of high reputation and I wonder what enables such a low price. It is usually achieved by low build quality and little attention to quality control. In some products it may matter little, other than loss of your investment, but with 230 volt electrical appliances it could be a risk to your life.

In order to achieve low manufacturing costs corners are often cut in material quality and care of assembly. A simple failure of electrical insulation could produce a lethal situation to yourself and family.

It is not so much a matter of cost saved on the purchase, but the price you put on personal safety. For myself, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526322

Follow Up By: scruffy - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 00:51

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 00:51
Thanks Allan, I realize all you have said is true, just noticed a recall on a generator sold by 4WD and Supercentre stores. [a 4wd action affiliate.] Have also seen another brand called Lectron selling for about the same price. Just have to do more checking around. Bob
FollowupID: 808514

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:03

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:03
As a matter of interest, Jaycar are offering a 2kW sine wave gennie at $899.
In general, Jaycar offer quality products and certainly stand behind their warranty with nation-wide stores.
Not a Honda but I would give it a run.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526328

Follow Up By: scruffy - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:29

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:29
Thanks Allan, will check them out. Bob
FollowupID: 808537

Reply By: Bazza - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:23

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 09:23
In my experience I've always found that it you buy good quality camping gear it can last a life time. Yes there a some bargains to be had but they still dont last. I bought a 1k Honda generator about 10 years ago, it has only had spark plugs and regular oil changes and it's still going strong. Never had a problem with it. Yet mates of mine who buy the "bargains" seem to always have problems with reliability.
The last thing anyone wants is to have problems with gear when their away on their hard earned holidays.
Bazza
AnswerID: 526342

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 13:56

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 13:56
The first question one needs to satisfy with any cheap no name generator is who does the repair/warranty servicing and what is the cost to return the unit. I believe this are made by Powermax . Is their a service agent in your area who has parts? If you have the answers to these questions and are happy then go ahead.
AnswerID: 526353

Reply By: Nutta - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:01

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 21:01
If I didn't have a honda I would have bought a ryobi, good products with good warranty and only $899.

Hard to beat imo.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-2000w-petrol-inverter-generator_p6210345
AnswerID: 526388

Reply By: Member - Peter H40 - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:10

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:10
Hey guys - I wanted a 3.5kVa generator for when we want air con, washing machine and power tools BUT it had to physically fit into our generator box on the van. None of the big names even came close - and I certainly didn't want to spend $5k. Eventually came across a "no-name" for $899 - free freight. 2 year warranty, remote start and stop and runs our kettle, microwave and air con. It even has a digital screen.

Being a sparkie, I had "HUGE" doubts about it - but it does the job. Used it to run my pressure cleaner to clean the family graves up on the Atherton Tablelands in August.
Had a couple of issues - rang them up, and they sent me to a repairer in Cairns - all fixed and no more problems.

I have since seen numerous versions of the same unit - and nobody has had any issues. Again - being a sparkie with 45 years experience - issues of insulation breaking down and killing you on the cheaper brands - unfortunately that is just ridiculous.
AnswerID: 526492

Sponsored Links