The Kimberley trip

Hello
We are looking at travelling to the Kimberley region later this year....August, September. We really enjoy more remote camping areas and harder to reach places. We are set up for serious off roading and camping and would welcome any suggestions for "must see" places that others may have visited in the Kimberley region.

Thanks
Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:05

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:05
We plan to be up that way in late June/early July, but our trip is already planned.

However, 3 places I would go would be Keep n/p, Bullita station in Gregory n/p and thirdly, take a run out on the Legune road from Kununurra, and camp at, or near the Keep River crossing. This road will take you through Stage II, or is it Stage III, of the Ord River Irrigation scheme, across the Weaber Plain.

I've read that you can drive from Bullita, down through the park to Humbert River station, and come out on Top Springs road near VRD.

Also, would plan to camp at Saddle Ck one night, as well as Dingo Gap, near the Duncan H'way turnoff. There's plenty of other good sites along the Gibb too, but as yet I can't comment on them.

Being Aug/Sept, you won't need many clothes, as will be quite warm through the day. Nights in August are usually cool.

Hope you enjoy the trip, it's magic country!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526349

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 14:31

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 14:31
Mike and Anne

I have travelled to the Kimberley and doing the trip again this year.

To answer your question I would be typing for ages as there is so much to see and do.

I suggest you look at this site:

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/

It is full of valuable information.

Regards
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526361

Reply By: andrew t - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:55

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:55
Watching this thread with interest as we are heading up that way ourselves towards the middle of september so much to see and so little time. But we would like to know of some kid friendly places we will have ou 4,5 and 1o year olds with us
AnswerID: 526367

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 18:37

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 18:37
Hi M and A, it will be a lot hotter in September and also less crowded. The extra 5 degrees on the daily maximum from July to Sept may not sound like much but IMO 35 is a lot more unpleasant than 30. The GRR will be a corrugated dustbowl.
Visit all these spots in places and read the comments for each pic. Mitchell Falls, Bell Gorge, Manning Gorge. Mornington Wilderness Camp, El Questro. If you want really rough then head out to Walsh Point for a day drive from Mitchell Falls............ W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526377

Reply By: Mike & Anne H - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 19:05

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 19:05
Thanks everyone for the great information! We will be looking at all the links.

Anne
AnswerID: 526380

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:29

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:29
Hi Anne

In normal seasons the water in the rivers and waterfalls reduces during the season, so you will not be seeing them at their optimum. You are welcome to read My Blogs from our 2008 Gibb River Road and Kimberley trip. Our GRR trip included the deviation to Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu. This trip was the best of the best, but we went in June, before the worst of the crowds, and with June rain as well, there was plenty of water flowing.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 526397

Reply By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 00:21

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 00:21
Hi Anne,

The Kimberley area is fantastic and heaps to see and do. We have driven it 3 times now and will go back again. Last time we tried to fit in all the well trodden localities and I think only missed Mt Hart. In doing so we visited heaps of gorges/ rivers and I recollect swam in 17 of them. North to Mitchell plateau almost essential (in our view) as well as visiting the stations that offer camping accommodation as they tend to have gorges only accessable to their visitors. El Questo is a little pricey but well worth at least 3 days if you want to try all the gorges. Yes there will be plenty of people and vehicles but that reflects the beauty of the region, and the longer you leave it the more people will be accessing the region. You are welcome to read my blogs "Roads and Tracks we have Traveled".

You will certainly enjoy this part of Australia.

Regards,

Mike.
AnswerID: 526401

Follow Up By: Mike & Anne H - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 00:26

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 00:26
Thanks for the reply. How much time do you spend in the area when you go? We were thinking we could spend 6 - 8 weeks up there....we hope to take three months all up, travelling from Tassie.
Anne
FollowupID: 808607

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 00:02

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 00:02
Hi Anne,
Yeah we usually take 3 - 4 months from Vic on most trips, last year for example we took 4 months to Cape York and spent 6 weeks north of Coen. We reckon if you are going those distances and you have the time why rush it (and we don't like the Southern winters). If I remember the last Kimberley trip was about 4 weeks along the Gibb. You will fit a lot in with your time line, enjoy it.

regards,

Mike.
FollowupID: 808696

Reply By: bgreeni - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 01:28

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 01:28
We are also looking to travel up there in August - September time frame. Towing a strictly road only caravan but hope to maybe leave it a few times for something a little more adventurous.

I have a number of places I want to see again - I lived in Kununurra in mid 60's and then worked on early stages of the main dam construction. Haven't been back since so know a lot will have changed.
AnswerID: 526485

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:03

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:03
Take the bus up to the dam and the river boat back. All one package.

Phil

Ord River dam tour.
FollowupID: 808702

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 07:45

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 07:45
From a video that I saw once I think that Home Valley has a ripper of a track on their property. It's the Carson River Track. I didn't know about it when we went there. Am going back to check it out. And a few other things that we missed.

Give them a call and see if they will let you on it. They may not allow single vehicles. I think that Graham of 4WD action dvd fame went up there on one of the videos. From memory it was a real challenge. There may have been some journalistic daramatisation but even so it could be a great drive.

I will try and find the DVD

Phil
AnswerID: 526490

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 07:52

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 07:52
Found it. DVD number 151 called the Ultimate Kimberley Adventure. We actually did the first part of the video on the Karunji Track. That part was a circumnavigation of the Cockburn Range.

Best of luck. It looks a challenge. All native title lands but if you don't ask you don't get. We have already been through a few "closed" private properties so why not ask.

Phil
FollowupID: 808701

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:00

Saturday, Feb 15, 2014 at 08:00
Sorry about the disjointed post.

I just found this by searching for Oombulgurri, the name of an aboriginal cummunity on the track. It's caklled the Oombulgurri Track in this reference.

Phil

Oombulgurri Track
AnswerID: 526491

Follow Up By: Mike & Anne H - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:03

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:03
Thanks, we dug out number 151 and watched it. It does look like a ripper of a track.....I hope if we manage to get there that it is a little less waterlogged!
FollowupID: 808994

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:59

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:59
Excellent. Talk to them but politely and diplomatically don't give up. You never know a bit of push plus your 4WD resume may get you access. Not saying that you would ever be anything other than polite and diplomatic. Just a bit of friendly coaching. Okay?

I talked my way into a million plus acre property on about the second or third phone call. And they were middle eastern owners so I had to get the manager on my side first.

It was worth it.

Phil

This is the spot where it was reported that Baz Lurhman chose the Kimberley as a site for some of the movie Australia. It's just west of the Home Valley entrance on the GRR. That's the Cochburn Range in the distance.
FollowupID: 809005

Reply By: Member - Judy and Laurie - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:52

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:52
Hi we did the kimberleys last year, fabulous , Kununurra, lake argyle, el-questro , Mitchell falls, derby, broome, take your time , do a lot of research and write a rough itinerary , it will be worth it. enjoy every moment, we did.
cheers Judy and Laurie
AnswerID: 526688

Reply By: LJME & LMG - Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 22:30

Sunday, Feb 23, 2014 at 22:30
We did not go very remote but: Purnululu was great, as was Windjana Gorge and the tour of Tunnel Creek with Aboriginal guides. Mornington Station (Wilderness Camp run by Australian Wildlife Conservancy) was also a highlight of our Kimberley trip last year. You must contact the station via the radio at the junction of the Gibb River road to gain access to the campsite as numbers are limited. It is a 90 km drive in - we planned 4 nights but stayed a week. The trip from Derby to the horizontal waterfalls was pricey but wonderful as was visiting Middle Lagoon / Whalesong on the Dampier Peninsula.
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 527095

Sponsored Links