Globalstar Satellite Phones

Hi All.

I am in the market for a satellite phone but am having some difficulty deciding which network. My intended use is for emergency communications during outback travel, mainly central SA/NT, for a few weeks a year only. I have read that Globalstar has recently launched a number of new satellite's which they claim have improved their reception significantly. Is anyone using Globalstar and if so, how have you found the reception in the last 6-12 months?

Regards,

Joseph.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:03

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:03
I haven't used Globalstar but it has nothing to do with the old failed system. It's still pretty new so it will be hard to get feedback. Also i think you will need a high price prepaid or annual plan.

My advice for intermittent emergency use is get a second hand Iridium phone and a $10 casual Telstra mobile plan that you can get for as little as a month. Search it on EO, there are tons of threads on it and how to get it working.

If you do that, and don't use it, it will cost you $500 - $800 for the phone and $10 for those few weeks a year.
AnswerID: 526348

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 15:47

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 15:47
Like Boobook I have not used Globalstar. We have an Iridium phone into which we place a Telstra SIM which is on a post paid plan and also International Roaming enabled. This is used for up to 8 months per year for emergency calls only , so far we have not required its use but testing shows that there is no requirement to dial any special (overseas) phone numbers, just the normal Aussie phone numbers work.

We use normal Telstra mobile and also Telstra internet for all non emergent communications.

Enjoy your travels
Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 808551

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:02

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:02
Hi Athol,

I'm interested.

Is this a standard Telstra SIM & Post Pay plan as used in regular urban cell phones?

Do you use the same SIM in a cell phone when home?

Do you know what the call charges are when used in the Iridium?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 808554

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:34

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 16:34
Allan, it's your normal everyday SIM from a Telstra next G phone. If you have international roaming enabled it will slot in the Iridium phone ( the mini size about 1cm x 1.5cm - or you can get adapters on ebay for a dollar or two).

You cat take it out of your telstra phone, put it in your iridium and hey presto. You can make and receive satellite calls on the same ( normal mobile) number. Actually it is just like roaming overseas in country "iridium".

Calls are $4.00 per min to make or receive. callers are charged the same as if it was in your phone. SMS is $1.50 from memory.

The problem is you will get lots of unwanted calls ( salesmen, etc etc) which will cost you a fortune.

The solution is to go to a Telstra shop and get a second number on a $10 casual plan. It is the same call cost and you can have it for as little as a month.
FollowupID: 808555

Follow Up By: Phil P - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 19:33

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 19:33
I last used Globalstar between 2003 and 2008 - it was absolutely useless. Really struggled to get connected. Sold the phone and promised myself never to use Globalstar again.
FollowupID: 808573

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:31

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 22:31
Allan
Yes it is the same sim as the normal GSM phone used around town, we do have a normal phone that we use the sim in when not travelling. The only dis advantage to having a dedicated sat phone sim is that Telstra charge double the normal sat phone rates for all calls.

As we use an unlisted number we have not received any unwanted calls, the only calls we have received are text messages from Telstra so there has been no extra charges above the monthly access fee ($20.00 because we do not have any other Telstra post paid service)

Enjoy your travels
Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 808582

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:04

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 23:04
Boobook, Athol,

Thanks guys, seems more sensible than having my $36 per month Satellite plan that is not even switched on for most of the year.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 808594

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 14:21

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 14:21
Hi Jeseph

Have you looked into the InmarSat?

Great reliable phone and on pre paid, you only have to recharge when you need to and do not lose your number, even if itis 12 months between recharges.

I have used ours lots of times in many remote areas and reception has never been an issue, locks onto a satellite very quick and easy to use.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 526358

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10

Friday, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:10
I will put a second vote for the InmarSat phones. I have had one for a few years now and no issues at all. Prepaid and phone calls out are $2 per minute but calls in are $10 per min for the caller. I suppose that might stop some of those salesmen. I just get my friends to text me and then I can get back to them when I turn the phone on at the end of the day. You can also send free SMS text through their website for friends at home.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 808625

Reply By: duck - Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 18:51

Thursday, Feb 13, 2014 at 18:51
Look at pivotel rates, I don,t use a global star as I have a iridium extreme but with pivotel
All incoming calls are only charged at std mobile rates & msm are as low as 55c so for contact with home & work after I've used my package,I msg & they call back at std mobile rates & 000 there is no charges
AnswerID: 526379

Sponsored Links