How to fit a Shower to a Hilux??

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 15:57
ThreadID: 10623 Views:4557 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have a 95 Hilux 2.8D and am about to set off for a round OZ trip. I've just purchased a Brown Davis Auto Shower with pump and heat exchanger and was looks for some ideas / photos of ways of installing the unit under the bonnet.

The only way I can see to install the heat exchanger is near the top of the firewall where the heater pipes go through - but that would require a "very unique" hard to make bracket - and the pump would fit just behind the battery over the wheel arch. Anyone have any better/easier ideas??

- Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:21

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:21
I have seen a Diesel Prado with the HE mounted on top of the Radiator.

I have seen a Pathfinder mount the HE along side the motor.

On my Patrol it is on the firewall.

I think the guy with the Prado made is own brackets, and I made mine.

The Pathy came with the brackets already made.

I think there are installation instructions on here somewhere , and you can find the Prado installation instructions with piccies at

www.offroader.com.au
AnswerID: 47223

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:23
Dave,
Most of the companies that supply these showers (or at least Twine) will supply brackets and instructions for fitting to various popular vehicles (I dare say the Lux would qualify for that title). If you do have to make up a bracket for the fire wall, just make sure you attach it using existing captive nuts or factory blind bolts. If you tech screw the brackets into the fire wall, with the weight of the exchanger, you'll no doubt eventually suffer from vibration working the whole thing loose and leaving a big hole in the firewall.
I have seen the exchangers mounted along the top of the intake manifold on some vehicles...seems to work okay.
Good luck
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47224

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:23

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:23
I read with interest about these hot showers that use engine heat. How practical are they in real camping situations? I mean, if I wanted a hot shower in the morning, the last thing I'd want to do is start up the engine and wait until it warms up sufficiently.
Would it not be a lot simpler to boil a kettle on the gas stove that is already set up for cooking breakfast? A kettle of hot water mixed with cold in a bucket, insert the submersible pump and the hot shower is ready, long before the engine had a chance to warm up. Let alone the noise and diesel stink around the camp site.
So, how are you travellers with engine hot water doing the shower thing?
Or is it just one of these you beaut, must have under the bonnet ,thingies that rarely get used because shower time does not always correspond to hot engine time.
Klaus
FollowupID: 309275

Follow Up By: Member - David - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:54

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:54
Hi V8troopie,
Absolutely right it is quicker and simpler to boil a bit of water if there is just a couple of you, I did it this way for years. However add a wife and a couple of kids plus a couple of friends and their wifes and kids and the whole shower thing started to become bigger than Ben Hur,and I reckon to keep a happy camp you've got to get the whole toilet shower thing down pat. Hence the Glind, wife is happy, camp is calm ,every one is happy and showering is no fuss , have put up to 14 people through at a time.
Cheers David
FollowupID: 309281

Follow Up By: Member - David - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:59

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:59
Hi V8troopie,
Absolutely right it is quicker and simpler to boil a bit of water if there is just a couple of you, I did it this way for years. However add a wife and a couple of kids plus a couple of friends and their wifes and kids and the whole shower thing started to become bigger than Ben Hur,and I reckon to keep a happy camp you've got to get the whole toilet shower thing down pat. Hence the Glind, wife is happy, camp is calm ,every one is happy and showering is no fuss , have put up to 14 people through at a time.
Cheers David
FollowupID: 309282

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:09

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:09
Yeah, exactly David.

For one person , boil the billy , add wife and 4 kids , that isn't practical.

Besides, depending on your setup , you can have as long a shower as you want . . .

We also use it for heating washing up water . . .
FollowupID: 309284

Follow Up By: Roachie - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:07

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:07
Klaus,
I beg to differ on the time issue of boiling up a few litres of water on the stove versus the engine warming up....
With my Patrol 4.2 diesel, the water coming out of the heat exchanger is noticeably warmer than the input water after about 3 minutes of idling from a dead cold start. Not that this should be a real issue anyway, as when you're out camping time is not usually a major consideration (in my opinion). It is simply much more convenient to be able to grab a jerry can of water and stick the hose into it; (or go down to the river/creek and grab a 10 litre bucket of water) and do it that way.
As far as the noise of the diesel motor is concerned, we haven't had any complaints from anybody (actually, to me the sound of a "rattler" is music to my ears). We always invite anybody else in our group to come and have a shower too, as long as they bring their own water.
We often find there is some wag who will throw a cup of cold water over his missus while she's in the little tent to cause a stir.....it can be quite good fun and a real talking/gathering point.
With the concept of the kettle being boiled up and then diluted with cold water, you run the risk of over-diluting and/or running out before you've finished the job.
I wouldn't go away without the Twine now....
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 309290

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:36

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:36
Mines a Petrol . . . none of this Diesel Racket ;)

I usually take the opportunity to give the Trailer Battery a charge while I'm at it . . .
FollowupID: 309299

Follow Up By: davelivo - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 15:05

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 15:05
Thanks Roachie,
Yeah - I've had a look at the twine installation on a Hilux and they recommend putting it near the firewall. But - it appears as though they have used large riverts to secure the bracket. I've seen the results of using tech screws and them ripping out - would rivets do the same??? - I know that my TJM canpony was installed using plastic brackets and large steel rivets though the tray sides - its still hangin on!! The problem I have is that factory blind bolts are very scarce on that part of the firewall and I can't get to the other side of the firewall to use nylocks - rivets would be ideal if they stay in there!!!

I've heard that installing the heat exchanger on the manifold - or anywhere on the motor itslef can cause the bracket to break though engine vibration - particualrly with clunky diesels.

- Dave
FollowupID: 309307

Reply By: LBJ - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:25

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 18:25
on my old 2.8 i put the HE on the LH side of my chassis rail just behind the radiator and the pump on the LH inner guard near the fire wall........ very simple and easy to install that way. not too extravigant but very effective and easy to get to!
AnswerID: 47240

Reply By: Midge - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 21:25

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 21:25
We paid $24 for a power shower and works great 8 adults had showers using our shower everyone heated there own water, one guy with us had a heat exchange one fitted to his vehicle but used ours instead. We found the first time we used it water got into the pump so my husband pulled it apart and siliconed around all the joins so water couldn't get inside, we have been using it for about 18 months now for every trip. Nothing worse than having a few vehicles filling the camp up with diesel fumes.
AnswerID: 47622

Sponsored Links