tyres for 78 series Troopy

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 16:37
ThreadID: 10625 Views:2767 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We need to put new tyres on our 78 series Troopy - any recommendations for mainly long distance black top as well as off road - only used as a second vehicle around town. Looking for suggestions and suppliers in Melbourne - southern suburbs preferably. Ta!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:21

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:21
Hi Judes, I replaced a set of Bf Goodrich, with a set of Toyo Open Country A/T’s last year on my HJ75 Troopy and they have been excellent!. They are a light truck tyre and have a 10-ply rating which is one of the primary reasons I selected them. They have been excellent on and off road and I can’t believe how well they are wearing – done about 30K kms and not even half worn!

The service I recieved from Steve McMenamen form One Stop Tyrepowerwas exemplory.He looked after me so well that I even rang his Head Office to pass on my thanks. His number is 9791 8666, @ 155-161 Greens Rd, Dandenong.

I will certainly get these tyres again and from Steve.
Worth a call and a look
Cheers
Alex

AnswerID: 47232

Reply By: bill - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:45

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:45
Toyo are a good choice...a few of the outback stations near Tennant Creek here
run toyo hyperadial's....they say about 80,000 k,s but..that is pretty tough work on the rocky roads around here. I run a set on my 79 TD.....they are noiser on road...than the dunlop(banglops) but they dont get torn to shreds on the outback roads....oh and they are not much of a wet weather tyre or a really high speed tyre..not that you would really want to go fast in 2.5 tonnes of metal......

i think the opat's are a lower profile tyre..so I dont know if that effect it's offroad ability..it is probablly an all round tyre ..rather than purely an off road oriented tyre

hpyeradail 235/16???? will only tkae split rims and white steel rimmed sunraysia spoked wheeel...they retail aty about 180 each..opat...would have to be more I am assuming

cheers Bill
AnswerID: 47235

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:58

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:58
Hi Bill, the Open country 235/85R16 have the same diameter as the origional specs. I have them fitted on standard Landcrusier chrome wheels. The Open Country are very quiet on the bitumin and have been great in the wet. Must have quite a different pattern to the hyperadials.

you're spot on about the outback stations - When I was doing my homework, I sope to outback police, park rangers, and station owners around the Flinders & Gammon Ranges and at Kunnanurra and most of them pointed to Toyo in a 10 ply.

Cheers
Alex
FollowupID: 309232

Reply By: bill - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 21:16
Hmmm....chrome wheels you say.....and the opats are 10 ply and 235's..you say
......by standard chrome wheels do you mean......mag wheels or split rims( which arent chrome anyway..so that cant be what you mean....

hmmm......i like the 235's.... I think I might switch to opats next time....something that is a bit quiter on the road..fits a better looking rim.....still good offroad ..and handles wet weather a bit ( not that we get a lot of rain in the Barkly region)....

anyways.....are they about $210 ish each..gets expsensive..when you start replacing six wheel ..4 + 2 spares

cheers
AnswerID: 47259

Follow Up By: Member - Alex B - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:03

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:03
G'day bill, I paid $180 ea fitted -which I thought was pretty good.
The rims I have are toyota rims - I bought them from a wreker to replace my 15inch Sunrasyias, I think I paid about $40 ea. The chrome wheels are also available as split rims - I use to have a 60's series with them.

Cheers
Alex
FollowupID: 309257

Reply By: bill - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:54

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 22:54
Ah ..ok I was thinkinh of those flash mags that come standrad with the 100 series TD.....myabe I might switch to some BFG muddies....we'll see
AnswerID: 47270

Sponsored Links