Fridge Box Filtered Vents

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:10
ThreadID: 106258 Views:5508 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all , just recently got hold of a pioneer argyle SE . On the gullwing fridge box the only ventilation is a factory lift up latch cover which is all but useless unless stationary . I've seen on KK that they have a louver type with filter on them and these seem like the perfect solution . Could someone with a KK have a look and see what the brand is for me please . Or is there something available off the shelf with louver filter set up . Looking to fit something on the camper that won't look to outa place . Or do pioneer have a louver filter unit available ?
Cheers Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:13

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:13
All too often people underestimate the amount of ventilation reqired.

Mostly a few slots or a little grill does bugger all.

Might be worth thinking about a 12 volt fan...like from a computer ( various sizes available).

There are a variety of off the shelf grill systems available or you may be able to contrive something.

Car air cleaners various shapes and sizes can be pressed into service very nicely.

If you house the 12 volt fan in the air cleaner and have it blowing in....it will preasurise the compartment and air will flow out of every crack and hole.....keeping inside pretty clean....if the campartment is fairly air tight you may have to make some sort of outlet to get good air flow.

All too often ventlation of various compartments is eother completly ignored or piss #@$Y poor.

cheers
AnswerID: 526568

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:30

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:30
Totally agree with that.
Manufacturers only make the stuff but never seem to use any of it to see what really happens.
FollowupID: 808781

Follow Up By: Womb@t - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:44

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 12:44
Totally agreed Bantam & Ross
I plan on installing two louvre/ filters - one on each gullwing box . The gullwing boxes on the argyle are a single unit with a separation panel between them but also have 100x75 square peno thru to allow cross ventilation . Will probably add some computer fans to for good measure !
FollowupID: 808782

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 14:36

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 14:36
I have a fridge box that has a filter at the rear of the box. It is an oiled filter and also has a small fan to help extract hot air from the box, this is powered by a small solar panel.

It does the job very nicely and might give you some ideas.

The fridge box

Here you an see the filter and fan

The filter housing sits on the back of the box

12V Panel to power the fan

The filter is easy to remove and clean.
AnswerID: 526578

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 15:04

Sunday, Feb 16, 2014 at 15:04
Even compressor fridges need good ventilation. You need good sized free flowing vents in well positioned locations. Any filters that you place across them will render the vent nearly useless if you are relying upon convection currents for it to operate.

If you wish to have filtered ventilation then you need fairly efficient fans to force the air through the filter. I don't know if anyone has done any tests on the air flow in the box that evaredy posted the pictures of. The size of the solar array in the pictures leads me to the conclusion that the fan would not pump much air. Also it would only supply forced ventilation with full sun on it. When the sun id not on the solar array then the total heat transfer from the sealed unit in the fridge would rely on the heat sink effect of the aluminium case. The filter would effectively block the openings.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 526585

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:11

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 21:11
Womb@t,

Been thinking of adding extra ventilation to our slide-on camper, and have been thinking of using Honda lawn mower filters to keep the dust at a minimum. They're about 100mm square. However they might be a bit small for a trailer, that's closer to the dust thrown up by the vehicle.

Jaycar sell a good variety of 12v fans., and Whitworths have a number of vents that might help you set something up. Had a look on the Ryco website today for panel (flat)filters, but it's hard to find anything the way the site is set up. Something like a Falcon filter might be the go?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526690

Reply By: Womb@t - Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 23:12

Saturday, Mar 01, 2014 at 23:12
Stopped in at the local KK dealer during the week to have a look at there venation systems and decided to get creative today

grabbed a few nylon vents from BCF

Picked up some briggs & straton air filters from the local mower shop

shaped up some aluminium plate I had lying around

fitted off the vents

then the filters were installed

next I'll be installing a small 12 volt computer fan and outlet to the fridge gullwing box to keep air moving around for more efficiency

AnswerID: 527504

Sponsored Links