Ford Ranger

Submitted: Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 06:57
ThreadID: 106276 Views:4855 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Remember the 2012 Ford Ranger owner who had 2 replacement auto transmissions replaced. He recently had a replacement head fitted to the motor. All free of charge fortunately. Are the Ford Territory, Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50 all fitted with the same drive train and engines. Or is it just the Territory and the Ranger that are the same.

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:28

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 09:28
The BT50 and Ranger have the same 3.2 litre 5 cylinder diesel motor. There is also a smaller motor available in some of the specs, not sure if these are the same.

The drive train is also the same in the 3.2 litre versions. There are some minor differences in suspension, and frontal treatment as well as some small electrical changes.
AnswerID: 526646

Reply By: Road Warrior - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:00

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:00
The Territory diesel shares the same 6R80 automatic with the Ranger. That is all. Completely different engine.
AnswerID: 526649

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:18

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:18
I should add that there have been some reports of the torque converters of the 6R80 failing on Rangers, which leads to particulates contaminating the valve body of the trans and stuffing it, but none on Territories that I am aware of. The Ranger and Territory have a different cooling system for the trans. Could this be a factor?
FollowupID: 808900

Reply By: bluefella - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:07

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:07
Son had his auto trans replaced in his 2013 ranger at 32000k's, no towing or heavy loads.
AnswerID: 526650

Reply By: Nutta - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 17:48

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 17:48
Wanted the ranger but for the price, glad i went the Colorado, so far anyway, time will tell!!

I hope people don't have too much trouble with the rangers, nothing more frustrating in a new car.
AnswerID: 526679

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 18:59

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 18:59
Today we were following a Ranger ute up the Moombie hill out of Tamworth.
In our petrol Hyundai i30, most of the new CR diesel models leave us well behind in a hill climb due to their superior torque available.
Sadly, this particular Ranger had some gremlin on board, clouds of smoke and we simply sailed past on the second hill where we caught up.
To add insult to injury, on the way down south saw a (fairly?) recent Patrol at Willowtree being winched onto a flatbed truck with the van waiting to be hooked for the tow.
A bloke does wonder how many of the new breed are adequately reliable for serious outback work.
mike

FollowupID: 808974

Follow Up By: Nutta - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:25

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 20:25
I drove the ranger manual and was extremely disappointed in the performance, or lack of it, just felt like nothing there.

Took the colorado for a spin, an auto and they really do fly.

As for reliability of any of them thats another story!
FollowupID: 808987

Reply By: Member - Allan H (NSW) - Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:58

Monday, Feb 17, 2014 at 19:58
We will stick with our trusty diesel 80 series might not be as powerful or smooth but will get us there BULLET PROOF.
AnswerID: 526684

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:34

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:34
I haven't driven the new Ranger yet however a few friends have, one has just ordered one. They all report a lag with the throttle response which was also reported in some of the 4x4 drive reviews. I hope they end up being a good reliable vehicle when they run out of warranty?
AnswerID: 526723

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 19:17

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 19:17
G'day All

May I suggest that the OP and all the repliers who bag the new Ranger get on the two biggest Ranger forums in Australia and do some reading !

You will then see that for every 2 people that aren't happy with their new Ranger there are 998 very happy Ranger owners - a very good proportion of who traded in their 100 series - 200 series - 75 series and a couple 79 series Landcruisers and can't believe how good they are. Then with further reading you will find out about how many mining companies are now using and ordering more Rangers because of their reliability, toughness and durability to cope with the 24/7 use on the mine site - one company in particular has 30 Rangers still going strong ( albeit with some very minor issues ) all with 200,000 plus k's on the clock and only 18 months old !

While you're at it - do some research on this great site and you will find out about all the troubles people are having with their trusty, bullet proof, indestructable trouble free ?? Landcruisers that haven't reached a 100,000 k's yet !

Sometimes I wonder whether this site should be called

"ExploreOzbutOnlyifYouareInaToyota"

All the best

Gazz
AnswerID: 526751

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 20:45

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 20:45
Gazz,
how the hell are you going to get the truth get in the way of a good story. STOP IT.

Rangers and BT590's are a piece of bleep and you know it. Even though most owners are very happy. Silly people. LOL.

Now I will post the early problems that are common.

1. Smart charge. Ford will disable it for free. True.

2. Oil change. No more than 10 mins or you risk the engine not picking up oil. True.

3. Some are blowing charge air hoses and intercoolers. Then again we have the chipped boy racers.

4. Never heard of a head problem. More info would be good I would think. False without more info.

5. Wading depth. True. As morons charge the water and guess what. Bang. Don't get smug Tojo owners as I have seen it in 80 series and patrols.

6.Auto trans. Not many problems showing up with the gearbox. Boy racers probably have them.

7. Auto trans cooler protection cover works loose. Pop rivet fixes it.
and for the old school. The trans has it's own heat exchanger.
Don't believe some of the old school temps for auto trans either.

Full synthetic oil and temps that run normal around a (controlled) 94 to 95 C. at average running.

8. Tub is lightly constructed. Maybe they all are I don't really know.

9. Yes! There is a throttle delay only when taking off. Can be fixed with a throttle booster or in my case a erg blanking plate. BAD BOY.

10. Battery can be sue depending on the year and month.

11.Power. Yes it gets up and boogies. I see earlier in the post something about an I30 Hyundai which I have. Man the Ranger will blow it's doors off at idle.

Yes they will have problems as everything does, Colorado rear main seals leaking and seizing engines.

As Ned said, Such is life

FollowupID: 809113

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 22:46

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 22:46
G'day Slow one

I must have a lemon - bloody things done nearly 50,000 k's in 18 months and yes I've had a split turbo hose ( got a feeling it was made in Australia not China ) - no flat battery and what's a smart charge ? - left the filter off for an hour whilst changing the oil and the stupid thing just runs like a Swiss watch, and very cheesed off that towing my 2 tonne trailer daily I don't even get to smell any overheating odours, and with the canopy, roof racks and 200 kilo of equipment on top I'm bitterly dissapointed I don't have cracks in my tub like ALL those other lucky Ranger owners do, and as for throttle delay, could someone teach me to be a bit more impatient as I do apologise because I CAN wait .3 of a second before I take off and do the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds - wading depth ?? god help me - I tried to ingest some water and blow the motor up but after crossing a river 30 metres wide at 1100 mm deep with no snorkel the $hit of thing just walked through with the bonnet covered in wet stuff and to my dissmay had to turn the wipers on to see where I was going ! Anyway, on the same trip a mate in a 79 series ( won't mention what brand ) had to attach a snatch strap to the front of his car and the back of mine so he could push me up the steep wet slippery hill so I could be up the top with all the other "non series" cars that made it effortlessly - maybe I should have had muddies on like he did and not my standard road tyres ! Ford Warranty - it sucks, I complained about only getting 860 k's for 76 litres and they just said "suck it up buddy that's just how it comes out of the factory, get used to it "

Well I've sort of had enough of these issues - and to be honest, even the missus has too - she complains about not having to wear sports bras when we go 4wdriving like she had to in one of the "series" vehicles and can hear the stereo with the volume turned up to 3 !

Please Slow one - can you recommend something that would be more suitable for my needs - I'm getting desperate and am happy to pay more than the $48,000 I did for my XLT auto but as long as it gives me trouble !!!

Cheers mate

and hopefully we will meet on the side of the track in the middle of nowhere so you can get me going again.

All the best

Gazz

FollowupID: 809124

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:11

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:11
Gaz,
Yep I have had no problems with mine either and much of that is towing.

The smart charge is where the edu controls the charge rate and only charges the battery just enough, some then get flat batteries if they leave things on. Ford dealers will turn it off if you request it. Most new vehicles are coming out with this feature.

Yes, the oil change thing is true. There is a bulletin out on it and also those who charge water end up forcing it up into the intake. Mate I might see you stuck if you keep crossing that depth of water without a snorkel.

If you pull the inner guard off wish is easy to do, you can then see how high the intake is.

I can recommend something a little more comfortable for you but it is a toss up between three contenders.
Series1 landrover, G60 patrol or 40 series tojo.

Those new push pull snatch straps are the go, great invention. LOL.
FollowupID: 809130

Reply By: Isuzumu - Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 21:00

Tuesday, Feb 18, 2014 at 21:00
We have a Sept 2012 D.Max which now has 52,000 Ks , 80% towing from 1500Kg to 2500Kg and so far no problems. Has had a DP Chip and Beaudesert 3 inch exhaust for 45,000Ks, done the GRR and Gulf plus a trip to Vic and SA (8,000Ks).
And one thing about Isuzu the ads are true to their word plus their back up is there all the way.
PS Bruce Garland (Dakar fame) is building up a Isuzu MU-X for the 2015 Dakar at the moment. Same motor as in ours but can produce 200Kw and 600Nm and that is at 90% tolerance. What more can we say.
AnswerID: 526760

Reply By: Tony M8 - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:55

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:55
I started the thread and only presented the facts, make of them what you will.

Tony
AnswerID: 526786

Sponsored Links