hilux vs bravo

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:41
ThreadID: 10628 Views:2563 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Came across this site while researching. I am saying goodbye to my well-loved, and used, 1995 Sierra and want to get a 4x4 1.5 cab diesel utility. I plan to put on a canopy so i can sleep in the vehicle if necessary. The field has been narrowed down to either the Bravo Freestyle Cab or the Hilux Extra Cab. Any pros and cons? Current pricing makes the Hilux $1500 more than the Bravo. Could be less with some more haggling.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:56

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 17:56
For mine I would not hesistate to go Hilux. The Bravo is a good value machine BUT you can access a recond or used part of ANY sort for the Hilux in many places, while the Bravo will have people screwing their nose up.
I been there and done it. You can't just solve a major Bravo problem with a simple swap over. You can, and will with the Hilux and I think that's worth a lot. If you keep cars for awhile this is a sig factor. I'm starting to think that staying with mainstream popular vehicles (at a higher cost even) does carry long term advantages. Hell....I might start taking my own advice one day......I need red sand under me.
AnswerID: 47237

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:23

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 19:23
Have you considered the Rodeo with the Turbo Diesel??
The Rodeo's seem to be more popular than the toyotas in most places and significantly cheaper than the toyota especially 2nd.hand.
Cheers Peter Guy
AnswerID: 47244

Follow Up By: markmc - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:39

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2004 at 20:39
Yes, Peter, I considered the Rodeo, the Triton and the Courier besides the Hilux and Bravo. When travelling outside the cities, it seemed that every other person had a Toyota, so I thought less problems with getting parts and technical know-how. The Banjo sort of confirms this impression. The Mazda is considered because I have a friend who is a Mazda fan (not necessarily a good reason to buy a particular vehicle). People I talked to only gave a lukewarm response to the other three.
Thanks to both of you for responding to my post.

FollowupID: 309238

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:33

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 00:33
From my observations the Bravo & Courier often sell for many $1000's less than the Tojo with much better equipment . Toyota charge heaps for extras which may come as part of the package elsewhere.
Also, are you comparing the punchy 2.5 TD with the non turbo 3l Tojo. The former would be somewhat nippier on hwy, but no doubt the 3l would be a good long term proposition.
I run a Triton & would certainly look at the new Triton 2.8 intercooled td as it has been upgraded.
AnswerID: 47280

Sponsored Links