Tanami Track

Hi, a newbie here
I am doing Gibb River Rd this year
We plan to drive up the centre to Alice and heres the dilema
Do I continue north to Katherine and turn left or do I take tanami track and great northern to Broome
Driving 2012 landcruiser 200 series and towing 23.5ft off road van with air suspension
I've heard the tanami is the worst gazetted rd in australia and recently heard its not that bad
any thoughts??
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:30

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:30
Rusty,

My first thought was why have the 200 series and off-road 'van, if you don't plan to use their well documented credentials?

Tanami road conditions can vary from week to week, and can be as varied as peoples' comments. If you didn't want to try that route, the Buchanan H'way from Dunmarra, Top Springs to Timber Creek would be an interesting alternative. I've travelled that way in a Holden ute.

Enjoy the trip,
Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526951

Reply By: Krooznalong - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:53

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 15:53
Ignore what you hear to a large extent. What one person considers rough another doesn't. We've always checked things out for ourselves and would have missed out on some great stuff if we'd heeded what others said. We always listen politely but then make up our own minds.

In any event - a big downpour half hour after someone has come though could severely wash out a previously "good" track/road.

So go see for yourself - you have a capable setup. Drive to conditions, adjust tyre pressures, take it easy, enjoy it.
AnswerID: 526954

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:29

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:29
You have invested in the gear for such roads, as others have said..go for it. I have
travelled it twice & don't rate it any worse than the Plenty or GCR, or indeed the Gibb.
It is a great drive, easily done in two days. Take it easy & enjoy. You will need to calculate your fuel needs & pack your car & van carefully.
Many denigrate the Tanami, & you will no doubt hear from them as well. The choice
is yours...my advice...don't miss it..:))))..cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 526958

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:56

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 16:56
Rusty,

have you checked out the EO Trek notes for the Tanami?

EO Trek Notes - Tanami Track

A good place to start.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 526962

Reply By: MobiCondo - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:48

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 17:48
Sounds like you are well prepared for rougher roads. We are likewise and if the roads are open, then we taste and see so to speak.
Took 4 days and camped 3 nights to "do" the Tanami 7 years ago and wished we had taken more time (possibly use up to a whole week) in the desert as the wildlife and flowers were superb. Just drive to suit the conditions and be well prepared for any delaying incidents.
Cheers
AnswerID: 526967

Reply By: allein m - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:09
considering the amount of rain they have had out that way i can see several options

many road s may be damaged and not repaired and another option is they have got the graders out and fixed the roads

only some one from the local area can say which option

but they had a lot of trucks stuck all over the northern part of WA so I imagine that they have used graders to get them home

good luck enjoy the trip

so if they have put some extra effort to fix the road s it might just be the best time to go out that way
AnswerID: 526969

Reply By: Rustynails59 - Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 19:37

Friday, Feb 21, 2014 at 19:37
Thanks
I guess it's really a suck and see job and assess when we get there
AnswerID: 526979

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:25

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:25
Just go for it. Don't necessarily believe what you hear.... e.g. Tanami is the worst road etc etc - it gets graded every year! The Len Beadell's Gunbarrel Highway last saw a grader in 1986. When I did the latter towing a 19' Bushtracker I was running tyres at 22psi and suffered no problems.

John
AnswerID: 527004

Reply By: Member - Munji - Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 14:19

Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at 14:19
Rusty

You could also head towards Katherine and turn off on the Buchanan Hwy, I did it last year towing a camper and enjoyed the trip. Road was in pretty good condition most of the way, less heavy traffic on it just watch for the odd cattle truck.
Cheers

AnswerID: 527013

Sponsored Links