Bullbars

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 13:26
ThreadID: 106397 Views:2241 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Recently I was under my sons Hilux which has a fancy looking bullbar fitted, the plastic screen was missing from under the radiator and I realised that the bottom tank of the radiator was about 50mm lower than the bottom of the bullbar.
So if he were to run over a stump or a rock the bottom tank would most likely be damaged, the bullbar does not protect the most fragile and essential part of the vehicle.
I checked my Troopy which has a top brandname bullbar fitted and it is the same, I have since added some substantial structure to protect the radiator, the plastic guard won't stop much.
Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this on thier Toyota.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 14:06

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 14:06
Yes and I bought a purpose built guard from Brown Davis to alleviate the issue. Unfortunately we've had first hand experience at how little the plastic guard will stop!

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527128

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 15:22

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 15:22
TJM, ARB etc make protection plates to suit
I had them on my Hilux and my Cruiser
AnswerID: 527133

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:34

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 17:34
Our ARB Commercial bar came with one. I think that it was an actual part of the bar and not an accessory or add-on. Looks like a bit of powder coated checker plate.

Phil
AnswerID: 527145

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:18

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:18
Not sure of it's true or just a rumor, but I have heard that the latest ones come with an autographed photo of Harold Scruby. (;=0)

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 527159

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:49

Monday, Feb 24, 2014 at 20:49
When I baught My 4wd diesel hilux the bull bar that came on it was exactly the same.

It provided no protection for the borron 120mm of the radiator......it had not been punctured but that whole section had been pumbled by small stones.

The two bars I have had subsiquetly have not had this issue.

NOW I have fitted that same alloy bullbar to my petrol 2wd hilux...bolts straight up.
The radiator in this vehicle is not exposed in that manner.

The diesel radiator is much bigger and deeper than the petrol one.
AND
While the 2wd and 4wd cabs look the same...they are in fact very different...the 4wd cab is taller and deeper than the 2wd.

The person that designed the bullbar, may not have looked at all the variants of that vehicle.
AND
Some bullbars particularly the cheap alloy variety are just piss poor, have poor body fit and leave all sorts of things exposed that the factory bumper does not.

Also.....many of the bullbars come with plates, or trim that covers certain areas...it is far from uncommon that the accessory fitters no not install them.

I worked as an accessory fitter in my youth and more recently for a very short time.....I decided that ....." I could not do that to someones new car".

cheers
AnswerID: 527161

Sponsored Links