Dual battery fitment - A/C piping

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:09
ThreadID: 10640 Views:1733 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have a 94 GQ RX4.2D and want to fit a second battery in the normal spot (passenger side guard). Problem I have is that the A/C piping runs through the area. In case some of you are wondering, on many GQs the piping clears this are but for some reason I have an odd piece of piping and to replace it with authentic Nissan gear to do the job will cost $500+. Ouch!
I am looking at getting the existing piping bent to provide enough clearance for the battery and tray. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to or who can bend this type of piping without damage? Appreciate the assistance.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:35

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:35
Mine fitted, I just pushed the pipes out of the way and it worked.
Have you tried physically fitting it yet..??
AnswerID: 47295

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:02

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:02
Not yet. I have the tray on order and have been checking out the location for issues. I will be waiting till the tray arrives before doing anything but from the looks (and knowing the size and shape of the ARB trays) it won't fit till I move this pipe. Pushing it out of the way may work but I suspect the pipe will be pushing hard against the battery. With the standard pipe I think I would be fine but the one currently fitted runs straight over the top of the guard.
FollowupID: 309289

Reply By: Roachie - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:39

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:39
Steve,
I guess it depends on how much "bending" you've got to do? If it's just an inch or 2 and there is a reasonable length of pipe available between the "anchor points", you should be able to get away with a gentle "push". However, the pipe is (I think) made of aluminium and wouldn't take too much effort to stuff up, ending up with a kink.
I'd be going along to a local engineering shop and see if they could make you up a suitable piece of aluminium pipe to the right dimensions with suitable flanges etc (you might have to disconnect the existing pipe either beforehand or while you're at the engineers place). You'd then need to take this to an air con place (most auto electricians can do it) and get the system re-gassed. In fact it might be best to see the air con people first and get their opinion before you start; they may be able to suggest a better way....maybe use some ribber hose etc...
Another suggestion might be to check with wreckers and see if they have the standard pipe work. I had a GQ (RX) and now have a 4.2 GU. The pipe work for both seems to be the same in the area of the left guard.
Good luck
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 47296

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:22

Thursday, Feb 19, 2004 at 11:22
Roachie,
Have spoken with the local auto elec about this and it's an option. It will require a regas. Will try the wreckers.
Thanks for the ideas.
FollowupID: 309292

Reply By: sandie - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:06

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 19:06
Steve,

I just fitted a dual battery yesterday on my 89 GQ 4.2D. It has AC and the pipe is directly under the tray and it clears by about 5mm.
As you have to drill holes for the bolts, bolt the tray as high as you can (without the battery poping through the hood.

I would wait and find out if you have to move the pipe.

Marty
AnswerID: 47530

Sponsored Links